Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT:Got into a car accident with lapsed Insurance..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Yep, the accident from last week in my wifes car was the reason for me selling my motor....I called my insurance broker the morning after the accident who calmly tells me that I have not had insurance since 10/15 and says there is no grace period.....a phone call or reminder letter would have been nice, I've been a customer for at least 8 years I think....

So much for customer service headbang.gif

Anyways, I talked to the insurance company today (Mercury) and gave my statement why I was late....we had just (in the last few weeks) switched our homeowners insurance to the same company a few weeks ago and sent them a nice fat check for it....anyways...my wife thought that it would go the same account and that we are all caught up for the next few months....guess not sad.gif

It sounds like now, the insurance company will review my policy, the statement and decide whether or not I'll get any help on thier behalf or not. I still stand that the person that hit me is in the wrong but if my insurance company says "too bad, so sad", will the other insurance company try to screw me since they could say I had no coverage??

J P Stein
Yeah, prolly.
Your best defense against your OWN insurance company is to have all your insurance with that company, life, car, house....the whole shootin' match. You can then threaten to dump it all if they fuck with you......they understand money & nuthin else. Never having a claim helps.......go figure wacko.gif
Jeroen
sounds like a crappy situation....
hope it turns out ok
Mueller
I wish I could say no claims...off the top of my head they've paid out the following in the last 8 years or so:

$9K for burnt to the ground Volvo 745 wagon,
$1500 for repaint of drivers side of Volvo S70 (car I just got in accident with)
$2000 for repair of truck when we got hit in a hit-n-run in Texas,
$17,000 to repair 911 from "incedent" with big rig truck,
and about 5 windshield replacments...damn....what else can I sell? wacko.gif

Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Mueller @ Oct 27 2005, 05:37 PM)
..damn....what else can I sell? wacko.gif

i got this friend....who needs a kidney biggrin.gif
grasshopper
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Oct 27 2005, 04:49 PM)

lol2.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE (Mueller @ Oct 27 2005, 04:37 PM)

$9K for burnt to the ground Volvo 745 wagon,
$1500 for repaint of drivers side of Volvo S70 (car I just got in accident with)
$2000 for repair of truck when we got hit in a hit-n-run in Texas,
$17,000 to repair 911 from "incedent" with big rig truck,
and about 5 windshield replacments...damn...

bend over & grab your ankles.
Sammy
you are hosed. If you are lucky you won't have to hassle getting her licence back from the DMV for not having insurance.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Sammy @ Oct 27 2005, 06:34 PM)
you are hosed. If you are lucky you won't have to hassle getting her licence back from the DMV for not having insurance.

mike is a her?? unsure.gif
bd1308
mike's wife......

Pnambic
With a history of claims, it'll be hard to get that covered. I can tell you I'm 99.9% sure that the insurance company I work for would not cover it. Insurance companies are there to make money just like any other and if they look at you and see the money going the other way, they'll run. unsure.gif Did you say you have your home insurance through them as well? You might have a leg to stand on if you recently made a payment on the account and can sell them on you believing that payment would go toward both the home and auto. (Honestly, it seems like that would only be logical.) Regardless, I'd say you need a new agent. sad.gif

Aaron Cox
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Oct 27 2005, 06:46 PM)
mike's wife......

confucious say...open ones eyes, and they can see.
I still stand that the person that hit me is in the wrong

mike aint a her....
Howard
Mike, PM sent.
bd1308
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Oct 27 2005, 07:49 PM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Oct 27 2005, 06:46 PM)
mike's wife......

confucious say...open ones eyes, and they can see.
I still stand that the person that hit me is in the wrong

mike aint a her....

blink.gif
rick 918-S
pm sent
Grimstead
QUOTE (Howard @ Oct 27 2005, 06:51 PM)
Mike, PM sent.

Howard to the rescue! clap.gif
brant
dang...
I seriously hope this works out mike!

I'm doing my best to send good vibes your way religious and otherwise.

hang in there!

brant
TINCAN914
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Oct 27 2005, 04:49 PM)

LOL!!!! Smart ass...
Sorry to hear about that Mike. I was in the same sitch about 6 years ago with Mercury. I kept on buggin them and they meant us half way.
jonwatts
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Oct 27 2005, 06:49 PM)
mike aint a her....

He might be after this is all over.

I'd almost say you're ahead of the game because of the 911 and other claims.
mikelsr
I have an insurance story that came out good. I was driving to work in my new 3 month old Suby wagon going about 50 mph when all of a sudden I saw head lights right outside my drivers side window. I was broadsided at 50. Went over a concrete medium, took out a sign, landed on two wheels, blew out both tires. I was going South-bound in the North-bound lane heading towards a house. I got the car to slide trying to keep from hitting the house but took out a row of mail boxes. The mail boxes were on 4x4 posts that were frozed (I forgot to say it was in January in IL). Needless to say my car was not in good shape. I paid $10k for the new car. It had over $7K damage but they wouldn't total it.

Now for the insurance part. A girl was driving the other car that belonged to her father. HE had forgotten to send his check to his insurance company. I only learned this because the body man told me about it. Well his insurance company paid for all of my damage and some more that was found a few months after I got my car back (I went though two tires in 2 months because of hidden damage - remember the landing on two wheels above, bent my rear suspension).

So hold your breath and maybe they will give you the grace period and accept your intent to pay.

Good luck.

M
Sammy
When I read the first post I kinda got the impression it was his wife that got in the accident, maybe it was just in her car. Anywho, I've met Mike and he is a he, unless he's hiding sumthin wink.gif
Allan
That sucks Mike. Sorry to hear it. I hate dealing with insurance companies...
Mueller
QUOTE (Sammy @ Oct 28 2005, 07:39 AM)
When I read the first post I kinda got the impression it was his wife that got in the accident, maybe it was just in her car. Anywho, I've met Mike and he is a he, unless he's hiding sumthin wink.gif

Sammy is correct, it was in the wifes car....I am still a "he" with no plans of changing biggrin.gif

Cano
In Kentucky, state law requires an insurer to send a notification letter to an insured 14 days before insurance is to be canceled for non-payment of premium. It is my understanding that many states have such a requirement; can't say for sure about CA though.

If such a notice has not been sent by the insurance carrier, the insurer is going to have a problem denying coverage, at least for accidents that took place shortly after the cancellation of the policy. Note that KY law only requires that the notice be sent to the insured, and not that the insured actually receive the notice.

Again, this may not apply in your state, but it is worth looking into.
Seagrave
Bummer. I agree that you are ahead of the game because of your other claims. Many years ago I was canceled by Allstate (I can tell you where their good hands were...squeezing my nuts!) because I had three claims in a year. One was hitting a deer. Like.. I aimed? The second was a guy that turned left in front of me on a 280 on-ramp in San Jose. We collided and then he took off. I chased him down on the freeway, got the plate number, the description of the driver, and had another witness. He was uninsured ('natch) and Allstate paid. The third claim was my own fault for denting the door while backing. They said, "Sorry, you are an accident magnet." I switched to another company and had to pay a higher premium for a couple of years because I had been canceled. In your case there is another twist. You might be luckier than you think. The cops could have cited you for driving with no insurance. Buena suerte brother.
Mueller
QUOTE (Seagrave @ Oct 28 2005, 11:52 AM)
I You might be luckier than you think. The cops could have cited you for driving with no insurance. Buena suerte brother.

actually, I had the little insurance card inside my glove box stating I had insurance up to 04/15/06, that it why I thought I was in the clear with my payments.....so if the cops had arrived, they too would have thought I was fully covered wacko.gif
Seagrave
I had the little insurance card inside my glove box
Whew!
horizontally-opposed
Bummer Mike... I am really sorry to hear this. headbang.gif The 964 thing blew me away. ohmy.gif

I hope the payment issue/other policies thing works out. Offer to pay whatever higher premium (even tell them to go sky-high) after this and then cancel it before they can cancel you.

I'm sure it's little consolation, but at least you've gotten your money's worth -- up this point.

Best,

lapuwali
You have a card that says you're covered through April '06, but they're now telling you that you weren't covered? Something smells bad...

I've been with the same insurance company since my very first car (in 1984). They send the card out AFTER I pay the bill, not before, and they send a new card (really just a paper slip) every six months. I have no idea how other companies operate, but any company that sends you a card prior to payment just doesn't sound like most insurance companies to me.
I'd say you potentially have some legal standing here, since that card is supposed to be proof of coverage to legal authorities.
Mueller
Update...

I'm hosed sad.gif headbang.gif

The "other" persons insurance is blaming me for the accident (got the letter on Saturday) and this morning my insurance company told me that after their legal department reviewed everything and that I had a lapse in coverage that was my fault so basicly, I had no insurance at all and they won't pay for anything...period

1st estimate of damage for my car is $2,000, might be worth driving down to TJ and get it fixed right along Aarons car smile.gif

Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Mueller @ Nov 29 2005, 09:24 AM)
Update...

I'm hosed sad.gif headbang.gif

The "other" persons insurance is blaming me for the accident (got the letter on Saturday) and this morning my insurance company told me that after their legal department reviewed everything and that I had a lapse in coverage that was my fault so basicly, I had no insurance at all and they won't pay for anything...period

1st estimate of damage for my car is $2,000, might be worth driving down to TJ and get it fixed right along Aarons car smile.gif

ouch my friend....big ouch.

jonwatts
Doesn't sound like anything surprising coming from the parties that don't want to pay up. Guess you have to decide if you want to take it further (lawyer? California Dept of Insurance?, flaming bag of dog crap?).

Mueller
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 29 2005, 09:26 AM)
ouch my friend....big ouch.

yea, now to wait by the phone/mail box to see if the other car involved is going to sue me or whatnot for damages to thier car...oh joy....
jsteele22

Sounds like one of those cases where if you try and deal with it on your own, you are definitely screwed. But it sounds like you have a few things in your favor.

1) The ins. co. gave you a card that says your coverage is current. That plus the fact that you sent them a check (for homeowners), and the fact (I assume) that they did not notify you that your policy was going to lapse. You had every reason to believe (which you did) that you were covered.

2) You said that you feel it was the other guys fault. Any witnesses ? P{hysical evidence (skidmarks, posistion of dents, etc.) ?

Given that there's enough to build a convincing case, I'd say it's worth getting a lawyer. Get your $20k settlement, then switch companies.

BTW, back in around 1940 or so, my grandfather was in a wreck that totalled 2 other (new) cars, his fault. My grandmother had given him the insurance check to mail in, and he stuck it in the desk drawer with all the other things he was supposed to take care of. Oops. So right around the time when everyone else was easing out of the depression, he had to work to pay off two new cars. And that's why my mom is so friggin', uh, "economical".
rick 918-S
pm sent wavey.gif
Rand
Does this mean you'll lose your license for a year? That's the way it works in Oregon. Ouch.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Rand @ Nov 29 2005, 10:18 AM)
Does this mean you'll lose your license for a year? That's the way it works in Oregon. Ouch.

blink.gif unsure.gif sad.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 29 2005, 09:18 AM)
QUOTE (Rand @ Nov 29 2005, 10:18 AM)

blink.gif unsure.gif sad.gif

Same here in MN. You have alot at stake.
Mark Henry
$5000. fine in Ontario, Canada

not a missprint
dmenche914
Uhm, review your policy carefully. There might be a cluase that states that the insurance company must inform you in writting before the policy is dropped (ie even if they expect payment and do nto recieve it, they MUST notify you that coverage will be ending. I am pretty sure there issome sort of notification law, but might be wrong, so double check. That makes sense, say the check really got lost in the mail and insurance company does not inform you of policy end, and you house burns down, no fault of yours, the post office lost the mail. By requiring notification prior to cancellation, prevetns that sort of thing.

If it comes down to a judge, proff you wrote a check, and proof you did make some policy additions at that time would probably lead the judge to rule in your favor, as those proofs would tend to substantiate your story of a mix up in believing you were covered. Also may hlep to know how your payments have been made in the past, monthly, twice a year, varies etc.... your story sounds resonable given you have other policies with them, just stick to your guns on this one.

Keep in mind some less than honest folks do let the car insurance slip when cash gets tight, then try to make a claim, "claiming" the check was lost int he mail, when in reality they never sent it cuase they were broke. (in which case they basically broke the contract). The insurance company obviosly wants to stop this stuff, but since you did send money, just to the wrong account it seems a resonable judge would rule you intended to send it to the right account, and they did get the money.

Again, reseach your policy word by word, ecspecially the cancellation requirements, if they balk, tell them your position, and that that you'll be letting a judge decide and that you have the evidence to win, the evidenc that it was a book keeping error not an intentional failure to pay on your part.

Needless to say i have direct withdrawl for my auto insuracne, six month poly at a time, and they withdraw monthly. Might be worth considering once this is done.

Also you could complain to regulators for agents, your agent should have caught this. Let your agent know this wil happen unless he/she takes actiont o correct this for you.

WRX914
If this happened to me, I would definately get a new agent and possibly a new insurance carrier. My father was (retired) a VP with State Farm at the coorporate headquarters. I will call him now and see what he says about your dilema. Hopefully he will give some good advise.
bernbomb914
I also had an incedent the the day. My son was following me to take his volvo to get it smogged so we could regester it. we just pulled on to the freeway and pulled into the #1 lane when the traffic just stopped I jammed on the brakes of the rover and was hit in the rear by the volvo. I was worried about my son because he has a bad heart but after a trip to the hospital he was ok. the flip side was the volvo was totaled and the rover has $4,000 damage. I CALL MY INSURANCE and they said no problem. but my sons insurance had expired (mecury) and did not notifiy him. or if they did he did not know it. I pay for the policy anyway. the upshot of this is if my insurance pays the claim they will come after my son for the damages. thats between the rock and a hard spot for me so I wont put in the claim and will pay out of my pocket. Merry Christmas

Bernie
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (bernbomb914 @ Nov 29 2005, 08:47 PM)
I also had an incedent the the day. My son was following me to take his volvo to get it smogged so we could regester it. we just pulled on to the freeway and pulled into the #1 lane when the traffic just stopped I jammed on the brakes of the rover and was hit in the rear by the volvo. I was worried about my son because he has a bad heart but after a trip to the hospital he was ok. the flip side was the volvo was totaled and the rover has $4,000 damage. I CALL MY INSURANCE and they said no problem. but my sons insurance had expired (mecury) and did not notifiy him. or if they did he did not know it. I pay for the policy anyway. the upshot of this is if my insurance pays the claim they will come after my son for the damages. thats between the rock and a hard spot for me so I wont put in the claim and will pay out of my pocket. Merry Christmas

Bernie

sorry to hear that bernie. glad your son is ok.

thats one crummy situation.

AA
Howard
Jeesh! I rather post naked politics than get into this, but...

California law and terminology in CA casualty policies (auto, home, fire, etc.)
THERE IS NO 'GRACE' PERIOD
The insurance company must offer renewal by regular mail at least 20 days prior to expiration. If they do not, they must give you at least 20 days to pay before coverage lapses.
Your $$ must be received prior to expiration to avoid any lapse of coverage.

So that's the law. In practice, most companies send their renewal offer 30 days in advance, with a reminder 5 days before expiration that policy will lapse, then finally a notice 10 days after expiration that policy HAS lapsed. Most will accept a late payment, but coverage will usually not be effective until the company actually receives the payment.

As agents, we go one step further and call you. Not cause we're such nice guys (we are, btw) but we don't want to lose the business. If your policy lapses you can bet you have been given at least legal notice.

Bernie, since the coverage had lapsed on the Volvo, all would have been well if you were driving it (your insurance flows over to a non owned car) and your son would have been OK driving the Rover (as a permissive driver).

Mike's situation is tough, he was given legal notice, admits he knew his policy lapsed, and even though we are not his agents I have spoken to Mercury's claims manager and have a call in to the company president. Don't know if it will help, but we try.

Guys, pay your insurance bills on a timely basis. We have 3 or 4 claims per year like this, and some are disasters. $5k is one thing; losing your home is another.
tesserra
Mike,
Happened to me about 20 yrs ago. Moved from college and did not send change of address. Someone hit me and I got my license taken away for 1yr.... In California.
I got a new license at my parents vacation house in Nevada for the next year. Even though I lived in CA.

I think the thing you really have to worry about is if the person you hit has any injuries.
The hospitals will charge you at full price and that will not be pretty.

It sure was easier when we had nothing to loose, now we have to cover ourselves for everything, and god help us if we don't cause some lawyer is going to "inforce financial responsibility" which goes up as you have more to loose.

George

Mueller
Yea, like Howard said, it is "mostly" my fault for letting the policy lapse, what I have a hard time with is:

1) Just a month earlier I had switched my house over to the same insurance company knowing that I would get a 15% discount on my car insurance, why would the insurance agent think that I let my policy lapse on purpose or switched companies knowing that I need to have my cars and the house with the same company to get the discount?

2) The "other" car involved is basicly getting the green light to go ahead and hit anybody that passes in front of them even though they could have 100% avoided the accident?

By the way, I got a real repair quote yesterday by a body shop, not by the other persons insurance which missed half the damage with thier qoute.....$3800 to repair...glad I sold my engine to cover it....still waiting to hear whether or not the other insurance company is going to try to recover thier clients damages or not....I will not go down without a fight......
Mueller
oh joy..it gets better by the week headbang.gif

just got a letter demanding money from the insurance company of the woman that hit me .....somehow they came up a $2500 damage claim when all it looked like to me was a scratch on the front bumper.....anyone know of a good lawyer?? I am not going to take this $#%@ laying down......
Aaron Cox
sorry mike. sad.gif
jonwatts
Since you're in a cleaning mode start putting mental prices on stuff and list it in the classified's or eBay. You might not get $100 for a pair of A-arms but you'll get something, and that's better than nothing when you're considering throwing stuff out.

I've been there a few times, actually I'm there now, but the money always seems to show up from somewhere. Can't get ahead but I'm not too far behind either. confused24.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.