Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 cable release headlights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
effutuo101
I would love to see some pictures of the cable release head lights. I would be willing to do it to my car if somebody wants to help with fabrication. the idea of losing another electical system off of my car is good. Pictures please?
Trekkor
If Martin is on, I'll bet he has pics wink.gif

Come out, come out, wherever you are!
North Bay 914
914GT info, no brainer...here is more info than you need....

Armondo's Head light riser area

effutuo101
smilie_pokal.gif cool! I am going to go look at my head lights.
Andyrew
I wonder if anyone can make a kit for that?

Camp 914?

Engman?

J West Engineering?

ect?

I would buy a kit for under 100 bucks.
effutuo101
How about a spring (you could set the ride height with a bracket for smaller lights if you wanted) to open it and a small cable release mechanism? Idea's NEO 914?
Mueller
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Oct 27 2005, 09:42 PM)
I wonder if anyone can make a kit for that?

Camp 914?

Engman?

J West Engineering?

ect?

I would buy a kit for under 100 bucks.

someone was making a kit, thought it was in the $300 range....

it could be made a lot cheaper, but I don't think it would be as nice or be "correct"

those do use a spring already, the hydralic spring is shown in the pictures...you want to be sure that once open, they do not bounce up and down, not good for the bulbs and possibly a ticket waiting to happen
sixnotfour
Jon Lowe made the GT repo ones, He has no more of them.350.00 cables 175.00=$$$

Do a search there was someone who did it pretty simple, He had pictures too.

Chris I have a set you can look at. sunday would be good.
Engman
Not cheap - I'd say the $300 was correct.

M
jonwatts
Yeah but we're 914 owners so it has to be under $100. Sorry, that's the rule.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (jonwatts @ Oct 27 2005, 10:26 PM)
Yeah but we're 914 owners so it has to be under $100. Sorry, that's the rule.

unless its supergood, like a long kit, or a rennshift....
Engman
Yes I know ........ But to do it correctly..........3-400 clams

M
John
What do you mean "correctly"?

Is what you mean to say "like the factory did it"?

Marv's3.6six
I had no idea this thread was going on tonight, just by chance I had PM'd Engman at about 8:30pm asking him if he would consider making a GT cable repro kit. ohmy.gif

I would pay $300+ clams no problem.

I already have his inner long kit installed and have his fuse panel, I know he'd make a top quality kit. make one make one do it do it.

John
Is there a reasonable point to this? Are there some racing rules that require you to keep functioning headlights? For a street car, having to manually close the headlight lids seems to be more effort than the benefit from saved weight.

Do you guys really do that much racing at night? I have never been at a DE event that went into the night where headlights were required.

If you are trying to save weight, just cut the whole headlight bucket, motor, light and all out and fill in the cutouts in the hood.

Or am I missing the point (is this just a BLING thing)?

(You could also get the lights to light up the numbers on your doors at night too!, and the hinges for the rocker panels, and the bolt-on top, and the 100 liter fuel tank, and the GT oil cooler shroud, and, and, and...)
smontanaro
QUOTE (JOHNMAN @ Oct 28 2005, 02:59 AM)
Or am I missing the point (is this just a BLING thing)?  

Probably just the cool factor. Also, there's the "I've got headlights just like a GT" thing.

Not related to the above, I'm going to hazard a guess that manually raisable headlights might maybe possibly not be street legal. (Which might also add to the cool factor...)

Brotherbob
What about using a headlight cable system from a Opel GT then? They were cable operated from inside the car with a lever? Cable operated headlights dont seem to illegal in any way in my mind.
If you worry about headlight bounce then howwa about a a dual spring set up on the light so it wont bounce up and knock out the light?
nein14
Iam working with a friend who has a Factory GT on producing a kit exact duplicate of the original.

I'll let you know when it's done and how much it will be.
meares
hijacked.gif
JOHN HOW ARE YOU????
nein14
Good, thanks for asking.
rhilgers
Poor mans GT ish Headlights $125, diagrams follow

GTis headllights $125

I got it down cleaner now. I will post when its all tested out...

-Rich Hilgersom
project-914
BUMP

there's no way that any cable lifting headlight mod should cost anywhere north of 300 bucks or 100 for the matter...has anyone built an ace hardware special?
Rand
I don't get why these designs all require having to get out and manually close the lights. The pull should be able to pull the lights up, and push them back down with one lever. There are so many examples of this type of design/engineering on other applications. It wouldn't be that hard to adapt. And a DIY could put it together cheap with parts from a bicycle shop and a little fabrication.

I made a remote seatpost clamp for my mountain bike that lets me loosen the seat, sit on it to drop down, and clamp it tight again with one lever on the handle bars. Handy when heading down an extreme steep hill and you need to get the seat out of the way to get your butt down, without getting off the bike to adjust. Then to pop back up, pull the lever to loosen clamp, a spring pops the seat back up to height, push the lever to tighten. This is just an example, but the same principle could be applied. Maybe I should make something.
JPB
I've got a kit drawn out but need my car to get it perfect. I plan to have a kit soon and it will allow the lights to go up and down all from the cockpit; I don't think you want to go out in the rain and lower your lights everytime they are up. It has no struts and thus is lighter than the GT kit. Yes, it is to eliminate the electrical stuff of the original setup and thus reducing weight. I would not make a kit unless it surpassed all previous designs, bolts directly to the existing holes of the electric setup, is a complete bolt on no brainer installer, and will be very affordable. Did I mention cheap?

beer.gif Some things are worth the wait and this is one of them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.