Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front windshield seal...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brando
I have the funds to buy a new windshield (finally). How should I do this?

Rubber seal all around the windshield (seen it done on some cars)?
Stock glue-in type of seal with trim (rust habitat, I dislike).
Glue and fill in the gap flush?

It's my understanding you can use a windsheild seal from a different car altogether? I'd like to have the rubber seal all around, but what do I tell the glass shop since I'm not going to install this myself...

Also, that small windshield seal in the cab near the dashboard... is that REALLY needed? ($140) Can't I just camoflauge it somehow?

TIA
McMark
Butyl tape is no more rust prone than a seal. But if you want a seal, I suggest searching for what SirAndy did. AFAIK, he did a nice writeup awhile back. Maybe in the Classics?
McMark
Brando, this thread says GPR has your $140 seal for $60. wink.gif
Brando
Thanks McMark...

SirAndy, can you comment and add some pictures?
scottb
brando,

i ditched the chrome trim on my car for rubber moulding about a year ago and have never looked back. it is great. if i can find it (moved a few months back) i still have some moulding that i could be convinced to part with.

i got the moulding from these guys.gold glass group i used the 1" wide.

here is a link regarding a switch from chrome to rubber trim. rubber moulding

others have used trim that has a chrome strip in the moulding so it looks more original. i however like the black on my white car.

hope this helps.

scott
Brando
Thanks Scott! That was a tremendous help smile.gif I am interested if you've got enough left over for one more windshield.
scottb
brando,

how big of a hurry are you in? just made a tour through my parts that i have found since the move and the moulding was not to be seen. probably still in a box in the basement.

i am getting a shed installed on thursday so will be tearing into boxes over the next few weeks. does that work?

you won't regret the change. just make sure to fill in the clip holes with some JB and then paint the channel with some por15.

cheers beerchug.gif

scott
Aaron Cox
brandholio...

im gonna ditch the stock trim, when my car gets painted.
let me know what you find out.

BTW - great avatar.
Brando
Hey Scott, I'm not in a big rush... I've noticed the cracks in my windshield are spreading as the weather changes... I was thinking new windshield by next month.

How much was the 75' roll?
scottb
brando,

the roll was about $60 to my door IIRC. not a bad deal and if you have a windshield failure in the future you are set with enough for many changes.......

cheers.....

scott
Brando
Lemme know when you find the stuff and I'll make arrangements with a glass shop to pop my old one out smile.gif
Brando
icon_bump.gif for Aaron
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Brando @ Nov 7 2005, 05:30 PM)
icon_bump.gif for Aaron

arr matey! thanks

question - can this be installed after a window has already been installed????
i had a PPG put in at a window shop...and we put hte stupid chrome trim clips in......and now i want to go rubber.......

can i put this in AS IS? what keeps it in place??? how does it work around corners?

pictures?
JoeSharp
Brandon: Check my blog. Carerror has one. Jim Hoyland's car also has it.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
Aaron Cox
bump-

can it be installed after the window is in???
SLITS
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 9 2005, 04:49 PM)
bump-

Since the rubber holds both the glass and seals to the body windshield frame (keeps the glass from falling out).....I doubt it.....
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (SLITS @ Nov 9 2005, 04:59 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Nov 9 2005, 04:49 PM)
bump-

Since the rubber holds both the glass and seals to the body windshield frame (keeps the glass from falling out).....I doubt it.....

well shit.

i have a freshly installed window.... and the dumb clips for the chrome trim were put in....

looks like im stuck with chrome :/
SLITS
So, "Paint it Black" only the Stone(rs) will know............. lol2.gif I crack myself up.........
MattR
brando, aaron, and the rest of the cgbc, i was planning on doing the same thing to my car, so if you get a roll, i'm in (if theres enough).
SLITS
QUOTE (MattR @ Nov 9 2005, 05:16 PM)
brando, aaron, and the rest of the cgbc, so if you get a roll, i'm in (if theres enough).

chairfall.gif monkeydance.gif lol2.gif monkeydance.gif piratenanner.gif icon8.gif
Brando
Crap, i might as well buy a roll and split the cost with all of you down here...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.