Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: EGR line
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nebreitling
hi all

quick question. im installing a bursch muffler on my 75 2.0 -- and [what i think is the] EGR line (it looks like aluminum pipe, connects onto the exhaust and then goes to the engine bay) doesn't match up to where it "should be" on the bursh. rather, this line is over by the passenger rear wheel, where it connected onto my old exhaust.

so, i figure i have two options: try to bend it into its new position (looks tough, maybe a little propane torch would help convince it); or just plug the litter f-cker up (on the exhaust, too). what would you do?

thanks, one day i'll stop sucking everyone dry for knowledge and start actually making a contribution to this board!

nathan
nebreitling
Anyone? who's removed their EGR?
tryan
is it the air pump hook up? post a picture.
tryan
does it look like any of this? air injection junk
nebreitling
thanks for the reply

it's definitely the EGR line -- i've removed the air pump and plugged the air injectors, so that whole mess is gone.

this is a long metal pipe on the 75-76 models that goes from the exhaust (at the very rear of the car), through the rear engine tin where it splits right before the EGR vavle: one metal line goes to the air cleaner assembly, the other continues through the EGR valve where it joins (via a plastic T connector) a vacuum line that connects the distributor vacuum unit to the throttle.

i have a mind to just yank out the whole damn thing and plug any left over holes. anybody know what this would do?

wish i had a camera (actually i wish i had a carrera), i might try to scrape something up so i can post some pics.

confused24.gif
MartyYeoman
I have done just that on my'75 1.8 L-Jet. All gone.
Pluged the flange at muffler.
Plugged the port in the air elbow.
Put a breather filter on the oil inlet.
Runs great now.
Save your stuff for the Smog Check guys. fighting19.gif
nebreitling
thanks for the reply. yeah, i think that might be the way to go.... otherwise i'm afraid i might end up having to weld some contraption up -- for what?

nathan

p.s. your avatar is sick, sick, sick.
RustyWa
Nathan, the EGR stuff is off of my car also. By the time I bought the car the EGR and air injection was pretty messed up and NON-FUNCTIONAL. The EGR pipe down at the muffler looked like it was ripped off, so I ended up removing the system.

I ended up making a cover plate for the air filter housing. I'm not sure what this has done to the car performance or A/F mixture....but it's done.
nebreitling
thanks, eric

what you show in the picture is exactly what i'm gonna do - in fact, i just got home from the hardware store...

i figured i would do the same for the muffler as well, although part of me wants to just torch off the EGR pipe and flange from the muffler and weld up the resulting hole.

n
nebreitling
oh, one more thing eric.

the pic shows that you covered the nipple of the throttle where there used to be a hose (which went to the distributor and EGR). i was thinking this hose would need to be there for advance, but maybe not? did you plug up the nipple of the distributor as well?

thanks, n
RustyWa
Ahh...good question. When I got my car, I didn't have a vacuum tee in that vac line from the throttle body going to the EGR and the distributer. The line just went over to the EGR and the top nipple on the distributer was open....I wasn't sure if that was correct....I had a feeling it wasn't. Your comment about the "vacuum tee" was how I thought the system was supposed to be. If you haven't noticed...there is not that much info about the later cars out there.

Right now I have both of the vacuum lines from the throttle body going over to the distributer dashpot connected. I've run it both ways and haven't noticed a difference.

About the muffler...check out the EGR flange on the Bursch muffler you have. The one I've got in the garage doesn't have the hole drilled out yet.....it looks kind of funny but it's just a flanged nipple welded up to the muffler.
nebreitling
QUOTE(RustyWa @ Aug 13 2003, 01:53 PM)
If you haven't noticed...there is not that much info about the later cars out there.

boy, that's the truth

the bursch i have has an ~8in long EGR pipe (w/ flange on the end) welded right before the body of the muffler. i'm afraid that if i just cap it, it will create more backpressure as the exhaust tries to escape out that little hole. i'm thinking of just cutting off the EGR pipe and trying to weld up the resultant hole.
MartyYeoman
Before you cut the tube off, check to see if it connects thru to the larger exhaust pipe.
If it doesn't, Just ignore it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.