Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sorta OT: ultimate 914 road trip
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scottb
how cool would it be to travel the entire length of route 66 in your teener?

oh forget the chance of a mechanical failure, just think of the adventure. chicago to the sea. just watched a show about the route with my kids and decided that some day i will do this. asked them if one of them wanted to tag along and got that blank "are you friggin' nuts" stare. blink.gif

2200 miles, about 300 miles per day, could be done in 8 days without breaking a sweat provided no mechanical issues. make it 10-12 days and you could even see stuff along the way.

april or may would be a good time of year to start and since you would dip south, snow should not be a problem. hmmmmmm idea.gif

with a couple of years planning, some mechanical prophylaxis, a valid AAA card, no balance on the credit card and phone numbers of members along the route programmed into the phone and this actually sounds viable.

i would need a year or two to stash $ and vacation time to make what would be about a 3 week trip but damn would it be fun.

any others interested?

what if we waited until the 40th anniversary of the 914 and sought out sponsors? maybe even get excellence or panorama involved? get donations for a designated charity as well? maybe ALS since one of our own is working through that, or maybe diabetes or ???????

who's with me?!
Dave_Darling
Do a search on "Yoder Milo roundyround". Joe Yoder decided to take his 914 on a trip. A looooooong trip. He asked for volunteers to be co-pilot, and Steve Milo agreed. Steve flew out to Dallas/Ft. Worth from NYC. They headed west to So Cal, then up the coast into Oregon or Washington, I think. Then across to Milwaukee to stop in and visit that year's Porsche Parade. Then back south to DFW. The car ran pretty well the whole time, though they did have a few repairs and some maintenance done along the way.

--DD
scottb
damn! and i thought i had an original thought!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif
Jake Raby
Great idea- I'm there!
scottb
woo hoo! that's one! thanks jake. smilie_pokal.gif

i really want to do this and with enough planning, it should be pretty straight forward. even if folks just picked up and dropped off along the way, this would be a blast.

now who's next?
plas76targa
I'm in! Two counts as a caravan, doesn't it? Maryland to the west coast! biggrin.gif
ein 6er
DO IT!!! it would be a great trip!!!

i love 914 road trips!! i bought my tenner in edgewood, washington and drove it back to central fl., with no mechanical problems. my route was a little different than this map, i drove up to seattle first and then down through colo. and then east, visited with family along the way and did it in 5 day. with a few side trips, it totaled about 3,600 miles. wish i could have taken my time and enjoyed the trip more.

nomore9one4
I'm in.... clap.gif from Pittsburgh on....
scottb
all right, now this is starting to get some traction!

still have plenty of time to plan but i may start doing a bit of leg work over the winter to see if there is any interest from charities/publications/sponsors for this. even without any of that, we could have a friggin' blast!

now to find someone with a van to follow us with 3-4 spare teeners in the back--- just in case!

cheers......

VegasRacer
Attached image:
user posted image

Attached image:
user posted image
Speedster07
Count me in. clap.gif

I did the trip From San Fran to Hot Springs Ak in 03 with Brad and Sir Andy

I'd do it again. rocking nana.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Speedster07 @ Oct 31 2005, 10:19 PM)
I did the trip From San Fran to Hot Springs Ak in 03 with Brad and Sir Andy

smilie_pokal.gif yes, i remember! biggrin.gif

that was fun, no time for touristy stuff as we were hauling a$$, but i'd do it again ...
driving.gif Andy
effutuo101
Loads of Fun! I made the run with my wife from San Bernadino to Santa Fe New Mexico on Rt 66. Great fun. not many cars and a lot of heavy footed driving (by my wife) biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.