Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: heat issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
okay, i fixed both the exhaust problem and the heat. I used binding wire as my pull cable and everything went okay.

clap.gif

does the amount of heating air increase as speed increases? When testing for the first time, i didnt have much flow out of the vent.....

i thought i had remembered it being more in amount....

i hooked up my blower fan too.....that was cool.

b
Dave_Darling
The amount of warm air entering the cabin increases as RPMs increase. Rolling a side window down just a bit helps, too--lets the cabin air out, so it's easier for the fan(s) to push the warm air in.

--DD
bd1308
I remembered that....

maybe something else is going on.

what can i use to cap the passenger blower motor tube?

b
Brando
Part of an aluminum soda can. Fits right over...
bd1308
QUOTE (Brando @ Oct 29 2005, 06:09 PM)
Part of an aluminum soda can. Fits right over...

is this a suggestion or just a poke at fun.

the last time heat was attempted this trick was used.

b
SLITS
The easiest way to find out is to measure the diameters budding engineer boy.....it ain't no joke.
IronHillRestorations
Make sure you don't have warm air leaking anywhere, keep the engine speed above 3000rpms and the heat will work much better.

Six cylinder Porsches prior to '78 (I think) didn't have any auxillary heater blower fan.
SpecialK
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Oct 29 2005, 05:01 PM)
When testing for the first time, i didnt have much flow out of the vent.....

i thought i had remembered it being more in amount....

i hooked up my blower fan too.....that was cool.

b

Are you diverter valves opening all of the way? With the heater running, check that there is "no flow" out of the diverter valve exhaust caps (nom.?) under the car. You might need to make an adjustment at the barrel nuts, or your bailing wire might be stretching (pretty soft metal). I might have some .050 stainless steel safety wire (smaller dia., but a whole lot more tensile strength) that I could send along to you Monday.
Brando
You've only got one side hooked up Britt?

Hook up both sides and you'll be burnin your feet out of the car. The stock heaters (with blower motor) should get the cab pretty darn toasty when hooked up right.

I'm with Kevin (buzzard1), make sure your flappers are opening all the way.
r_towle
if your looking for a seasonal fix, wire tie the heater flaps open for the duration of the winter.
It works here...we need heat all winter anyways...

Your blower motor will still be controlled by the lever between the seats.

I agree, if you get it set up with no leaks, you need to open the windows...it gets to hot.

And BTW, when you open a window while driving, just a bit, it creates a vacuum that actually sucks the heat into the car....it is part of the tuning....

Good luck.

Rich
brant
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Oct 29 2005, 04:47 PM)
I remembered that....

maybe something else is going on.

what can i use to cap the passenger blower motor tube?

b

Also, I've seen the top of a rattle can spray paint can used.
the benefit, is that if you find the correct brand, you can buy it in black or whatever color you want.

brant
bd1308
i cut apart a carb cleaner can that i'm going to use as a cap for the passenger side.

i think i got it though....its like 46 degrees outside and i was sweating...i just had to pull real far back to engage everything. Kevin, if you'd like you can send that to me. pm me about it.

its night and day compared to what i DID have....

b
r_towle
if you have never take this setup apart....

you basically have one wire that loops through the handle of the heater control...

If only one side of the wire is hooked up to a flapper, in your case the drivers side...you are pulling on the wire, but you are hoping it does not slip through the handle...

This might explain why you are not getting the full blast of heat...

Seriously, go under the car and hard wire the flappers open, just for a test...this way you can see what is should feel like running with them full open...

I have doen this on several beetles to get through the winter...

Rich
bd1308
i'll wire them open just to see.....

b
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.