Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Renegade subie video.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Aaron Cox
Ok... so after the aircooled car is done, i need a subaru one smile.gif

Rocket ship
TINCAN914
Never,never!!! I can't do that.. I might be the only one,but my heart just tells me, that just takes away from the car....
Aaron when you do, can I drive it? biggrin.gif Hell I would like to drive the car you have now.. God knows I can't drive mine....
J P Stein
I'm underwhelmed. huh.gif
Hammy
Cool video biggrin.gif Any more?
Grimstead
Really? huh.gif
GeorgeRud
See the video reminded me of my visit to their shop in Las Vegas last year. Nice people and located very close to the Lsd Vegas Strip and Airport. If you get a chance, stop by and see their operation, lots of neat ideas.
Aaron Cox
dont get me wrong, aircooled 4's and sixes are a hoot, and thats where my heart is...

subies are cheap and easy. would be nice to have one of each smile.gif
TonyAKAVW
dont get me wrong, aircooled 4's and sixes are a hoot, and thats where my heart is...

subies are cheap and easy. would be nice to have one of each

yup. agree.gif

I'm keeping my '70 stock, and when I get the Subaru conversion done I'm going to work on getting it into better condition. But having one of each should be fun.

-Tony
shaggy
how fast you think he was going around that corner?

didnt look fast enough to break the back end loose to me

do the subarus really make that much power on demand to do that?
jonwatts
Wow.... is that the Luxor in the background?

wink.gif
scotty914
he is running the sti motor... 300 hp ( 2.5 turbo )

i can do that with my Na 2.5, i will even make a video of it if you would like
Andyrew
Round the corner? 35.. maybe 40 or even 45...

Betcha it was 3rd gear.

Thats what I would have done....

But it would have been a little different than a insy bit of tire squeal biggrin.gif

And no they dont make THAT much power on demand.

But you try going around a corner, close to the limit... and flooring it.

I can do that in a 944 turbo... but it involves a little clutch and throttle work, and its much more "impressive" than that...

But asside from the show off part...

Its accelerates quite fast from the corner which impresses me.

Kinda quiet though dry.gif

Andrew
neo914-6
QUOTE (jonwatts @ Oct 30 2005, 08:33 PM)
Wow.... is that the Luxor in the background?

wink.gif

That's the road straight to Renegade's shop, not too smart if police gave chase. laugh.gif I plan to get a ride in it this week... biggrin.gif
Jacques
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Oct 30 2005, 10:15 PM)
..., i will even make a video of it if you would like

user posted image Of course!

I've got an EJ20 conversion down the line as well.
redshift
The thing I like best about Subaru motors, is that they sound like a stock 914 motor.

M
WRX914
QUOTE (shaggy @ Oct 30 2005, 07:22 PM)
how fast you think he was going around that corner?

didnt look fast enough to break the back end loose to me

do the subarus really make that much power on demand to do that?

The Suby engine in a teener is ALOT of fun... Power on demand to do just about anything you want...
WRX914
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Oct 30 2005, 09:15 PM)
he is running the sti motor... 300 hp ( 2.5 turbo )

i can do that with my Na 2.5, i will even make a video of it if you would like

Actually, it is a barely modified, very close to stock 2.0 WRX (non STI)... I have the exact same engine.
plymouth37
If you guys want a burn out video I will give you a burn out video. the video that was posted was designed to illustrate that this car tracks really well around the corners. Believe me, I can take corners a lot faster. The fact that there was a line of cars in front of me made me think with my big head instead of, well you know. Spinning tires slow you down, you are not getting power to the ground and you might as well be driving a 69 camaro. I don't understand why this has to be so competitive, we are all 914 guys, just enjoy people's cars for what they are.
Dana.
scotty914
its not a compitition, its fun, sorry i thought you had the sti. so he has some where around 230 to 250 hp.

as for the car braking loose, it was a combination of the corner and hp. and the person who wants to see my car do it, i think, is more of just another video of a 914. as well as for comparison
plymouth37
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Oct 31 2005, 11:00 AM)
its not a compitition, its fun, sorry i thought you had the sti. so he has some where around 230 to 250 hp.

as for the car braking loose, it was a combination of the corner and hp. and the person who wants to see my car do it, i think, is more of just another video of a 914. as well as for comparison

I have always been a fan of your car and It was great talking to you when I was building my car. let's see that video!
WRX914
cool.gif
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Oct 31 2005, 11:00 AM)

Yes, these are the numbers you can expect to see with stock up-pipe and down-pipe. However, to install the EJ20, you need to relocate the turbo... hence "slightly modified". After you perform this mod, you get a little extra power something like 280ish horsies. Dana is part of a local group of guys called "Flat-4", which are mostly Subaru guys that know entirely too much about Subies. Dana slaughters them on the road every chance he getts. Everyone in the club knows he is the guy to beat. His little teener flat out ripps. If you have any doubts, come on out to Vegas this week for SEMA and Dana will give you a ride. I think that anyone who wants a thrill ride will come back with a load in thier pants! But, you know what? It is all what you think is fast... If you want the punch in the chest feel, you probably want a V8. If you want linear power that pushes you in your seat, go with the Suby. If you want to wait three and a half hours to get to sixty, use the original type 4.
Aaron Cox
alright. time to see an aircooled 4, aircooled 5, subie, and a v8.. all do it at the same time smile.gif

laugh.gif

lets see your video scott biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (audioculture @ Oct 31 2005, 11:08 AM)
If you want to wait three and a half hours to get to sixty, use the original type 4.

Geez I can't believe I got caught up in this.
I want to see that at an autocross. Hmm wait that combo puts you in E mod or something. You will get spanked BADLY.
Hell my car in Street mod would get spanked BADLY if a ZO6 showed up. But I still think I would give you a run.

my 0-60 times are actually pretty good. Maybe I should time it. But then again if you take TTOD who the hell cares what 0-60 is unless you are 1st loser.
plymouth37
just put 10 series tires on your car, you can impress all your friends by pointing to your speedometer and showing them that you can go 0-150 in 2 seconds.
Andyrew
Aaron.. they make an aircooled 5? wavey.gif

My autox video's have me doing that. I think my first video shows it best, that was my first autox in the car, very difficult to learn to tap the throttle around a corner..

I have very linear power in my v8. I must say.

Its all about timing. (literally). If you have an electronic dizzy in a sbc, you can basically get rid of all the cv crunching tq down low and move the power band to a very useable high rpm range. I figured this out about a month ago playing with my dizzy.. Initial setup with my efi made so much tq that I would just roast the tires off idle in 2nd. And when it hooked up? I thought for sure that every time I did it I was going to blow the trani. I advanced the timing a couple of degree's, and it doesnt "kick in" at any rpm, its just incredibly smooth, simular to a 6.

I'll post a dyno of pre EFI for my car.

blabla914
Can you still do the Scott Thacher radiator in the engine compartment deal with the turbo motors?

Kelly
airsix
Aaron.. they make an aircooled 5?

Ok, who's doing the Kinner radial conversion? I missed that thread.
user posted image

Can you still do the Scott Thacher radiator in the engine compartment deal with the turbo motors?

Yes you can, but nobody has done it yet. wink.gif

-Ben M.
plymouth37
QUOTE (blabla914 @ Oct 31 2005, 04:07 PM)

Kelly

I like the idea of keeping the front trunk unmolested. Scott has proved that an n/a engine does just fine with the mid-mounted radiator and I think that it is a great option for an n/a. I really don't think you could get the airflow you need to cool a turbo motor. the turbos just run so hot. Anything is worth a try though!
Brando
If I were to convert -- turbo scoob all the way! Best buck/hp.
Root_Werks
You could have like... metered cabin heat. ohmy.gif laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.