Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 help in chicago / rockford IL area
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sk8kat1
I am picking up a 914 and looking for a god 914 mechanic to take a peek at it so I start off w/ things working properly .

particularly fuel injection ... I want to be sure this is working well this seems to be to one one the bigger mysteries on this car for me

thanks
mike
aircooledboy
Hey Mike,

Welcome. I'm here in Rural Winnebago, just outside of Rockford. beerchug.gif

Stiener Locken at Import Motor Werks on Madison in Rockford is a former 914 factory tech, and knows his stuff on these little buggers. I don't think he has much left in the way of parts anymore, but he knows his stuff. Just 90 minutes south is Brad Meyeur in Peoria, who is literally one of the best in the country with 914's.

I have 3 pretty complete parts cars here at the Midwest Center For NARP Research, if you need anything say the word. I've learned a thing or 2 about the care and feeding of the NARP over the years too. If I can help with anything, shoot me a PM.

Chris aktion035.gif

After re-reading your post, I see you don't actually have the car yet. If you would like me to help with a pre-purchase inspection to make sure you are not getting more headache than you are expecting, I'd be glad to help.
sk8kat1
hey, thanks very much for the info. those guys sound like the guys I want to know being this is my first 914 of my very own

.. I am actually getting the car from someone on here ,deano he had it listed in the classified section .. titled 1973 2.0L price reduced - it seems like a pretty soild car based on the description and pics ... but he has said that the FI need sto adjusted and the valves adjusted .

what would it cost me to have you take a look at it for me ... I am actually planning on picking up the car next weekend ... but I am still looking for a truck to tow w/ .. . so anytime after that I would be willing to drive it where ever ( weather permitting) to have you look at it .

roundboy914
if that doesn't work out for you, try Brad Mayeur (309/694-1797) down near Peoria. He only works on 914's, is very resonable, and has done excellent work on my '76.
Flat VW
QUOTE (roundboy914 @ Oct 30 2005, 09:32 AM)
if that doesn't work out for you, try Brad Mayeur (309/694-1797) down near Peoria.  He only works on 914's, is very resonable, and has done excellent work on my '76.

agree.gif
I have never met Mr. Mayeur, but I have spoken to him on the phone several times for "tech assistance" during our return trip from Indiana.

Don't play around, use Brad, if he was anywhere near my "neighborhood", I would.

John
mikelsr
Brad is a great person to have work on your 914. He is very reasonable and extremely knowledgeable on the 914.

M
STL914
I totally agree with the others on Brad Mayeur. He is without doubt the best source of information on 914s in the Midwest.

I bought my first 914 from Brad, a white 2.2 liter 4-cyl that the previous owner had recently restored. If any major work was needed, the 3 hour drive was well worth the time spent on the road to take my car to Brad.

When I was forced to retired my 74, it was Brad who gave me two leads on local owners who were considering selling. The 72 that I bought was located 40 minutes from my home and is a very solid car. Bought the car, a spare 2.0 liter motor and a half dozen boxes of parts. Brad drove down to St. Louis and trailered the 72 back to his shop and replaced the original 1.7 liter/tail shift tranny with the 2.2 liter/side shift tranny from my 74. He also rebuilt the brakes and pedal cluster.

You'll never go wrong if you deal with Brad.

Eric_Shea
Brad
sk8kat1
I would like to go the close route -- but the overwhelming thought is that brad is the 914 god .. 90 min to have my baby work on by greatness seems almost local... biggrin.gif pray.gif

thanks for all the help --

mike ( soon to be owner of the first car I wanted since I was ten ) smilie_pokal.gif
sk8kat1
oo and if you guys could read the classified deano posted let me know if you have any suggestions what else to look for on it

thanks
aircooledboy
Like I said, I go to Brad too, but Stiener is handy and pretty damn good too.

what would it cost me to have you take a look at it for me ... I am actually planning on picking up the car next weekend ... but I am still looking for a truck to tow w/ .. . so anytime after that I would be willing to drive it where ever ( weather permitting) to have you look at it .

No charge for any help I can give, my man. Drive her out here when you get her, and we'll see what we can fix you up with. I'm 20 mins from Belvidere on Rt. 20. If you need me to come there, that's probably doable too. monkeydance.gif
sk8kat1
outstanding man!

I swear it is the best bunch of folks I have run across on here!
auggie91420
Mike,

I live in Chicago and own a couple of D-Jetronic fuel injection testers that might be helpful down the road once you get a car. I'd be glad to help out, let me know. Chris.
sk8kat1
hey chris..

i have not titled the car yet so if we could set up a time for you to come out by me in belvidere , like you so very nicely said might be an option , that would be great just let meknow how to get a hold of you or just email me

at sk8kat1@gmail.com

thanks mike
aircooledboy
pm sent

smilie_pokal.gif boldblue.gif beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.