Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Springs....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smooth_eddy
Last summer I changed my front inserts to Bilstein. Now it is time to change the rear and finally get rid of the KYB's. How do I tell which springs are on the car? And how do I tell if they are worn out or still okay? I only use the car for street, so I am looking for the best possible ride with Bilsteins all the way around. At this time I don't have any sway bars, but plan to install them up front this next Spring when I pull my gas tank. I saw a thread last week and seemed like the 140 lb springs were what were recomended for street use. From the Tech Tips book, Geo says 140's are for the serious A-Xer's. Oh by the way, did a search and could not find the answers. Thanks, Eddy
dlo914
QUOTE (smooth_eddy @ Oct 30 2005, 02:16 PM)
Last summer I changed my front inserts to Bilstein. Now it is time to change the rear and finally get rid of the KYB's. How do I tell which springs are on the car? And how do I tell if they are worn out or still okay? I only use the car for street, so I am looking for the best possible ride with Bilsteins all the way around. At this time I don't have any sway bars, but plan to install them up front this next Spring when I pull my gas tank. I saw a thread last week and seemed like the 140 lb springs were what were recomended for street use. From the Tech Tips book, Geo says 140's are for the serious A-Xer's. Oh by the way, did a search and could not find the answers. Thanks, Eddy

ive got 140 weltmeisters on my driver and it's not stiff at all. My setup for the rear is w/ the bilstein 5 adjustable settings. serious AX'ers would prolly be using 160s, 180s and so on...
Eric_Shea
How do I tell which springs are on the car? And how do I tell if they are worn out or still okay? I only use the car for street

Color coded stripes sprayed on the springs. Look for:

Green = Stock 914
Yellow = Stock 914-6

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It should be in that book you have.)

I like 100lb for only street use.
d914
stocks are real long and will tension still on them at full droop. 100lbs ones I believe will also still have tension at full droop. Both will be able to be compressed some by hand. 140's and higher will tend to be shorter in height so at full droop they would not be compressed by the car....General rule of thumb use with care>>>>

Besides lucking out and having the LBS inscribed on the spring, spring tester is the only way to confirm that i know of..
xitspd
10 inch x 400 pounds x .250 inch
Aaron Cox
currently have 180's... going to 225's on threaded perches.
Bleyseng
Yup, coilovers are the hot ticket. I am running 200# springs now.

140's or 180's are fine even for the crappy Seattle streets as good shocks vs KYB's make alot of difference.

smooth_eddy

I have no idea what this means...............Eddy
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (smooth_eddy @ Oct 30 2005, 07:04 PM)

10" length, 2.5" ID , 400lb in rating.

racin' springs
xitspd
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Oct 30 2005, 06:24 PM)
QUOTE (smooth_eddy @ Oct 30 2005, 07:04 PM)

10" length, 2.5" ID , 400lb in rating.

racin' springs

agree.gif beerchug.gif
Bleyseng
I mite too stiff for a street car, me thinks! wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.