Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CIS question??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stock93
Where can I find some good info on swaping this setup onto a 914 1.7? Will I have to have custom lines made up that go from the fuel distributor to the injectors? How about getting the injectors into a factory fi manifold?

John
Teknon
John, Here's a website I was looking at when I wanted to do that exchange.

http://www.dolphinsci.com/typeIV.html

I did pick up a 4 cylinder CIS FI sys. I want to sell also. It's was a project idea that was over my head. LMK Joe
McMark
I love CIS, but it's has a very high tuning cost. Too bad, since it's such a simple system. sad.gif

Good luck on the project, keep us up to date.
ejm
A while back Miller Fuel Injection (http://www.millerfi.com/) would make custom lines but the website is now dead. Rabbits had long lines will reach if the fuel distributor is centrally located.

I used the single carb runners and center section for my CIS project. With a little port matching the CIS throttle body bolts right on where the carb sat. With some tubing and welding the injectors push into the manifold with the stock O rings.

stock93
Thanks for the link. Its good to know the lines will reach from a rabbit. The systems I have are off an 84 Audi 4000s quattro and an 87 jetta. Can I not tune this system by making adjustments and reading the plugs? IIRC it takes a 3mm allen to adjust the fuel. I'm going to try using the original fi manifold due to having one on hand. It will probably be april before I can get started on it due to being 800 miles from my car sad.gif I'm trying to see what all I'll need in advanced to gather as much as possible.

John
Sammy
The 3mm allen wrench basically adjusts the mixture AT IDLE.
It has little effect throughout the throttle range.
To adjust the mixture at other than idle you may have to modify the control pressure regulator, often called a warm up regulator (WUR). Either that or shim the system pressure regulator.

It is fairly easy to do, there are plenty of articles on the pelican 911 board how to make a WUR adjustable.
It is cheap also because you can use a WUR from just about anything in the junk yard that came with CIS. Just adjust it and make it do what you want.

If you lower the control pressure, you make it go richer. If you increase the control pressure, you make it go leaner.
That's about all you have to do unless you are building something really weird, and then you might have to change the air sensor bore profile or something but 99.9% of the time that shouldn't be necessary.

CIS is not expensive to tune unless you start replacing parts in a shotgun approach.
About $100 worth of diagnostic tools and $40 worth of books and you can test every component and only replace what is bad.

Absolute must have for CIS tuning:
1) fuel pressure test kit/guage
2) multi-meter
3) mighty-vac vacuum tester.
4) patience and logic

That's about it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.