Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Congratulations GGR AutoX team 100!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billswim
smilie_pokal.gif

So this weekend was the last auto cross of the season for the Golden Gate Region of the PCA. A club member here, whose name and handle are AndrewBlyholder, is the driver for our team that took on challenges from all commers this season and was TTOD EVERY TIME out except for one weekend of the season(still won the class that day). These past two weekends out at the old Alameda Naval Air Base second place was at least 3 seconds behind Andrew. My shop, Eason Auto Works, helps sponsor car #100 along with EASY, Custom Welding by Nate and the biggest sponsor of all, Lee Hamilton Engineering. Lee owns the car, built the motor/trans and did most of the modifications in his garage.

You hear all kinds of things/supositions/rumors in the pits about the fastest car and some of 'em are really funny. However, I'm going to tell you that the motor is only a 2.0 liter 914 motor with some internal modifications that can be duplicated. The key to getting this car to go like crazy at the autocross hasn't been to spend a whole lot of $ on exotic parts but to pare the car down to what it needs to go, stop and turn and get those things working in harmony as best as possible. And of course to have a talented driver.

This winter we're going to try and build a newer motor (ours is 10 years old) with some more HP, lighten the car up some more and come back next season to get even faster and maybe expand our competition scope. We're also talking about the idea of some track side support for customers who are interested. Things like compressed air, tire changing, set up, delivery of track tires, tools etc. Suggestions and inquirys welcomed and encouraged.

Along with kicking some serious butt out there, Andrew is a driving instructor and three of my customers came out for their first auto cross and got some seat time with Andrew in their cars. What a guy! At least two of these newbies are already making plans to come out for more next season.

To anyone thinking about it, you should do it. You get to drive your car fast/quick and hard like it was designed to. You can't get a ticket, its really hard to hurt your car(nothing to crash into)and you get to rub elbows with other Porsche people!

Here's some pics and a little commentary. smilie_pokal.gif
billswim
As you can see, it was a little damp first thing in the morning but it was going to clear up and be a great day!
billswim
Some of the cars in the line up...
billswim
More of the line up...
billswim
Still more cars in the line up. Notice its drying out already!
billswim
Another club member, Travis AKA gradskater I think, in his clean, early 914 participating in his first ever event. boldblue.gif
billswim
Between runs. Everybody wants to be around the fastest car! biggrin.gif Overheard in the background, "See that laptop? That's so they can download all the info from the run."

Sorry, but wrong. Low tech is the theme of this car.
billswim
This car has the same motor set-up and is for sale/trade and Lee let the potential buyer enter it in the auto cross for a test drive! ohmy.gif

The sale is pending approval of the better half but it can be yours if the price is right. PM here for contact info. Lee is looking for a newer, smogable full size truck to do the towing duties for the race car.
billswim
Yet another first timer, Henry in an '88 911. One day and he's addicted burnout.gif and can't wait for next season!
billswim
Yet another first timer, a motorcycle racing friend of mine who built his car pretty much himself from a worn out '76 2.7 and just brought it to us for some minor FI tweeking. He said he thought his car was pretty unique being an early-ish car with a duck tail and flares until he pitted next to two others laugh.gif
billswim
Taking a break for some lunch...That's Nate on the right he welded in the roll bar, chassis stiffening kit and repaired the cracks where Andrew and the sticky slicks were trying to twist the car apart this season. welder.gif
billswim
Last shot. Andrew and the car going out to lay down a 1:01.9 for Top Time of the Day smilie_pokal.gif I believe second place was somewhere in the 1:04 range. There was a husband/wife team with a black 993 that, I think, took second place.

Thanks for looking and see you out there next season!
J P Stein
Damn.....lookit all that lovely concrete drooley.gif

Great season Andrew. smilie_pokal.gif
You kilt me in our 914cup class.
PatW
QUOTE (billswim @ Oct 30 2005, 04:12 PM)
Another club member, Travis AKA gradskater I think, in his clean, early 914 participating in his first ever event.  :boing:

That used to be my car. Nice to see he's putting it to good use biggrin.gif
SirAndy
way to go " Team 100" !!! smilie_pokal.gif

there is no substitute for the lack of weight!
biggrin.gif Andy
billswim
QUOTE (PatW @ Oct 30 2005, 08:14 PM)
QUOTE (billswim @ Oct 30 2005, 04:12 PM)
Another club member, Travis AKA gradskater I think, in his clean, early 914 participating in his first ever event.  :boing:

That used to be my car. Nice to see he's putting it to good use biggrin.gif

He's really into the car! We've already put bilstiens, a front sway bar, 140 lb rear springs and just last week, turbo tie rods on the car.
Demick
Congrats to team 100

Although I used to like it better when Andrew ran his street car. He and I were great competition for each other and had some very close finishes. Probably the most fun I had autocrossing was when we were battling it out.

I walked the course with Travis. He was putting down some very good times for a first timer on street tires. I was impressed.

The course was not well suited to stockish 914's. I had to shift 8 times for each run (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd). Most other cars participating only shifted once (1st to 2nd). Even at only 1/4 second per shift, that's about a 2 second penalty we were paying. And it showed.

Demick

Gradskater
Hey everyone!
I just saw this topic today, I dont know how I missed it before.

The autocross was an absolute blast! I wish I stayed for the afternoon session when the track dried up, but nonetheless I had a great time. I am looking forward to it next season. In the mean time I would like to do some DE events, anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks to Bill for being the Good Doctor and Andrew for your instructions (honestly I was so jazzed I couldnt hardly remember any advice - I just tried not to hit any cones!).

The blue 914 is a beast! Awesome to watch it run.

If anyone on the board has not tried the autocross, you should give it a shot. The people are cool (thanks Demick) and it really is the only chance to drive your car how it was designed to be driven.

And hey Pat! Your car is still doing great biggrin.gif

the_blue_wonder
sheeplove.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Alameda was fun, hope to see you guys next season.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.