Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questions regarding my new /6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smontanaro
Folks,

As I mentioned yesterday, I have a few questions about my new /6. Sorry, no more (new) pictures yet, though you can see more from the P.O. on the eBay auction I won. That will also give folks who asked a rough idea how much I paid for the car... There are also more pix on Armando Serrano's 914/6 gallery from the previous time it sold. Those should hold people until I get a chance to take more. (They may also be enough to satisfy everyone...)

At any rate, on to the questions:

1. The P.O. had the engine resealed and Carerra chain tensioners installed. (Good P.O. Long time PCA guy.) At the time they also recommended replacing the shifter bushing and pedal bushing. Are these easily reachable? I'm fairly competent wrench-wise, but have never worked on a 914 before. (Triumph yes, 356 yes.)

2. Looking at the carburetors I noticed a hose leading nowhere, capped off by a screw. What is it supposed to connect to? I saw nothing in the immediate vicinity.

3. While the battery shelf and the nether regions look fine. I'll still put a gel battery on my Christmas wish list. Optima seems to make two sizes and don't list a battery that's supposed to fit 914s. What are my options (Optima or otherwise)?

4. The front trunk lid doesn't hold in the full up position. Is the solution as simple as pulling (very carefully) the hood springs out another notch, or do I need to buy a new pair? Being the sort of person who is leary of the energy stored in springs, I wonder what I'll have to grab onto the springs to safely move them out a notch (or install new ones). I'm not anxious to put an eye out...

5. Many people commented on the Mahle wheels. They are kinda cool, and quite distinctive. I have no idea if they were original to the car. Fuchs wheels always seemed like the cats pajamas to me for early 911s and 914s. Is there any chance the Mahles were original to the car? (The spare is also a Mahle with an apparently unused 165HR15 Pirelli Cinturato tube-type.) I do have a 1st edition copy of Ludvigsen's PEWE. Maybe it's time to drag it out to see how far back the Mahles appear in photos...

6. I'm sure some or all of these questions could be answered by appropriate literature. What do people recommend for addition to my personal automotive literature collection?

7. Finally, and OT, is there some way to turn off all these smilies when I'm composing posts? All they do is heat up my laptop with their constant animation...

Thx,

Skip Montanaro
mikey
Congratulations on your purchase! The price you paid is reasonable if the car is as described on e-bay. I easily have at least that much in my 914-6 restoration.

Replacing the pedal bushing involves removing the pedal cluster, disassembling it, removing the old plastic bushings, installing new bushings (bronze bushings are available and better than the originals), and putting the pedal cluster back into the car. It's tedious work, but if I was able to do it, so can you.

I have replaced the shifter bushings as well. It's more involved than the pedal cluster. I had the advantage of having the engine transmission out of the car for rebuild. Access to everything was dead easy. I also made a common modification to linkage while the transmission was out. The stock shifter in the 914-6 connected to the transmission in the tail of the transmission, so you'll see the transmission referred to as a tail shifter. I installed a later linkage to my transmission so that it linkage connects to the side of the transmission. Now it's a side shifter. This tightens up the typical sloppy shift pattern.

The Mahle wheels are sometimes called gas-burners. They were an option on the 914-6. I also have them on mine.

Moving the springs on the front hood to the next notch will help keep the hood up. Some people have installed gas struts instead of the springs. I prefer to keep my car as original as possible.

Good luck!

lapuwali
There are several shifter bushings, not just one. Note that the real /6 shift linkage is unique to the /6. A kit for an early /4 will NOT work. Most likely, you'll primarily need to worry about the bushing directly under the shifter itself, which is identical to the early /4, and also identical to the early 911.

There are kits available to replace all of the pedal bushings from the usual vendors. It's a pain, but not difficult. The worst bit is the roll pin that holds the clutch lever to the shaft. It's usually rusted into place, and quite difficult to remove. There's a good article on the Pelican board covering this.

The Optima Group 36 battery is the one you want. It will slot right into a 914. Several people have this battery, including me, in their 914s. There's a hold-down clamp you'll need, available from Optima, that clamps the lower edge, just like the stock clamp does (which is too thin to work). The Group 51 battery MIGHT fit, and is half the weight. I have one of these in my 912. Hawker also sells a couple of good batteries that will fit, one of which is quite small and light. They're also sealed, like the Optima.

The Mahles were often fitted to the cars new. They're HIGHLY desirable wheels, so if you decide to swap to Fuchs, you'll find a ready market to sell the Mahles. They're worth $2000-2500 a set in pristine condition. Interestingly, the early Bug/Ghia crowd is even more interested in these wheels than the 914/6 crowd.

The hose is a vacuum take-off. I'll bet that hose leads to the distributor, and the capped off part could be for a vacuum gauge that's been removed.
olav
2. Looking at the carburetors I noticed a hose leading nowhere, capped off by a screw. What is it supposed to connect to? I saw nothing in the immediate vicinity.

"The hose is for the exhaust emission control. The hose ended up at a throttle valve positioner."

"The throttle positioner opens the throttle valves slightly in accordance with the intake manifold vacuum. This prevents the proportion of hydrocarbons in the exhaust from increasing, when the vehicle is overrunning the engine. "

Above taken from the shop manual. The emission stuff was taken out of the car.

i.e. going down a hill. It prevents unburned gas from entering the exhaust system which causes backfiring.

a914luvr
I just bought a 914-6 in similiar condition (from ebay as well) and it's interesting to me that your car has basket weave material on the door panels and smooth vinyl on the dash face. I didn't read the full description in the ebay ad, but did the PO say anything about this?
Gustl
the window sticker of your new /6 doesn't show the Mahle rims, so it's very likely that the car was originally sold with steel rims
I would happily do the exchange with you ... I'll send you 5 fresh redone steel wheels and you send me the 5 Mahle wheels, o.k. biggrin.gif laugh.gif

redshift
Hood springs...

When you pull them off, they are going to scare the hell out of you; do not be intimidated. Using a long screwdriver, put it through the loop end, and secure it in the notch you want to move to. Using a second screwdriver, push the spring down the shaft of the first, while levering forward.

This will also scare the shit out of you; do not be intimidated.

Note: The most important axis to watch on the lever screwdriver, is ROLL.

M
smontanaro
QUOTE (a914luvr @ Oct 30 2005, 09:21 PM)
I just bought a 914-6 in similiar condition (from ebay as well) and it's interesting to me that your car has basket weave material on the door panels and smooth vinyl on the dash face. I didn't read the full description in the ebay ad, but did the PO say anything about this?

Nope, P.O. said nothing. Is there an implication that either the
factory was less than attentive to detail or that the dash face or
door panels was replaced?
smontanaro
QUOTE (Gustl @ Oct 30 2005, 11:38 PM)
the window sticker of your new /6 doesn't show the Mahle rims, so it's very likely that the car was originally sold with steel rims

Doesn't that just mean the wheels were probably dealer-installed?

I have a ton of receipts from early in the car's life ('71-76). One of
the earliest reciepts was for balancing of mag wheels.

Speaking of receipts... I find it interesting that many of the same
problems we have today were problems when the car was new.
Obviously there were no rust issues, but oil leaks, failing gauges,
carburetor adjustment problems, etc.

Some of the receipts are so faint I can't read them. I think I'm
going to scan them into the 'puter and do a little cheap image
processing on them to try and see what they say.

Skip Montanaro
Verruckt
I would say don't mess with the pedal assembly. Just get a hold of this guy...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...=ST&f=4&t=27994
redshift
QUOTE (smontanaro @ Oct 31 2005, 08:10 AM)
Is there an implication that either the
factory was less than attentive to detail or that the dash face or
door panels was replaced?

Door panels replaced.

M
blitZ
Answer to question 7.

The escape key [Esc], will stop animated images in most browsers.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (redshift @ Oct 30 2005, 11:43 PM)
Hood springs...

When you pull them off, they are going to scare the hell out of you; do not be intimidated. Using a long screwdriver, put it through the loop end, and secure it in the notch you want to move to. Using a second screwdriver, push the spring down the shaft of the first, while levering forward.

This will also scare the shit out of you; do not be intimidated.

Note: The most important axis to watch on the lever screwdriver, is ROLL.

M

Vise grips are easier and FAR safer, both for you and the car. The Cap'n
SirAndy
QUOTE (blitZ @ Oct 31 2005, 06:33 AM)

agree.gif

very nice car you got there, congrats!
smilie_pokal.gif Andy
redshift
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 31 2005, 10:56 AM)

Vise grips are easier and FAR safer, both for you and the car. The Cap'n

Easier? Maybe for you, Cap'n! You have Popeye arms..

M
smontanaro
QUOTE (blitZ @ Oct 31 2005, 05:33 AM)

Thanks. That seems to work for Firefox, alas not for Safari...
markb
I just put on a pair of heavy gloves and pull on the spring. It helps if there's a second person to guide the hook into the slot, but it can be done solo. Be careful when gently letting go that only the glove (if anything) gets caught in the spring). biggrin.gif
olav

I have a quick question about the car. In the front trunk behind the bumper do you have circles cut out with plastic inserts or is it all metal?

Thanks!!
Eric_Shea
1. The P.O. had the engine resealed and Carerra chain tensioners installed. (Good P.O. Long time PCA guy.) At the time they also recommended replacing the shifter bushing and pedal bushing. Are these easily reachable? I'm fairly competent wrench-wise, but have never worked on a 914 before. (Triumph yes, 356 yes.)

Here's a link to the pedal assembly rebuild (pedal bushings) Click Here. We also build a stock style assembly now for around $99 bucks.

I did the shift linkage on my -6 from stem to stern. Best thing I did to the car. Mine was woned by a little old lady (honestly) but the bushings were crumbling in your hand. I replaced them and I had one awesome 901 after that. Ask Jim Chambers.

Polution stuff as mentioned earlier. Mine was disconnected by the dealer.

4. The front trunk lid doesn't hold in the full up position. Is the solution as simple as pulling (very carefully) the hood springs out another notch, or do I need to buy a new pair? Being the sort of person who is leary of the energy stored in springs, I wonder what I'll have to grab onto the springs to safely move them out a notch (or install new ones). I'm not anxious to put an eye out...

Pull the hood springs. Not easy by any stretch but that's the solution.

5. Many people commented on the Mahle wheels. They are kinda cool, and quite distinctive. I have no idea if they were original to the car. Fuchs wheels always seemed like the cats pajamas to me for early 911s and 914s. Is there any chance the Mahles were original to the car? (The spare is also a Mahle with an apparently unused 165HR15 Pirelli Cinturato tube-type.) I do have a 1st edition copy of Ludvigsen's PEWE. Maybe it's time to drag it out to see how far back the Mahles appear in photos...

I think they're one of the coolest options... probably dealer installed. Mine had the comfort group from the factory but the dealer installed steel wheels (original owner got into a pissing match about price). Probably the only -6 that had steel wheels installed as an option.

Door panels should be recovered anyway (from the looks of the eBay pic, passengers side above the crank)... go back to stock smooth.
Jeffs9146
I just put on a pair of heavy gloves and pull on the spring. It helps if there's a second person to guide the hook into the slot, but it can be done solo. Be careful when gently letting go that only the glove (if anything) gets caught in the spring).

I just wraped a coat hanger around the end of the spring and used a heavy glove to pull it to the next hook!

Very easy and not scary at all!

Jeff
Gint
QUOTE (Jeffs9146 @ Nov 1 2005, 01:51 PM)
I just put on a pair of heavy gloves and pull on the spring. It helps if there's a second person to guide the hook into the slot, but it can be done solo. Be careful when gently letting go that only the glove (if anything) gets caught in the spring).

I just wraped a coat hanger around the end of the spring and used a heavy glove to pull it to the next hook!

Very easy and not scary at all!

Jeff

The last pair I did I literally just grabbed with my bare hands and pulled 'em off. They look a lot worse than they really are.
smontanaro
QUOTE (Jeffs9146 @ Nov 1 2005, 12:51 PM)
I just wrapped a coat hanger around the end of the spring and used a heavy glove to pull it to the next hook!

Mission accomplished. Worked like a charm. The only casualty was the coat hanger.

Thanks,

Skip
Jeffs9146
Mission accomplished. Worked like a charm. The only casualty was the coat hanger.

Glad I could help!!

Jeff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.