Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how to drain a tranny?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shaggy
my tranny is leaking from that plate in the rear that is held on with 4 10mm nuts

its not leaking really bad but every day there is some oil
i know its coming from there cuz i look down there and i can see that there are drops of oil forming opn those screws

i have tightened those nuts and found no result

is it possible that my seal is bad?

if so could i just drain my tranny take that plate off clean both surfaces put a new seal in and but it back together?
then re fill it?

how exactly do i drain and refill a tranny properly?
what is the size of that massive hex wrench?
ws91420
17 mm I think and you wont get a complete drain if the trans is still in the car. I bought a set of four large metric hex sockets at auto zone and I know it is one of those.
Trekkor
17mm agree.gif

KT
ejm
be sure you can remove the fill plug before you drain it....you can make your own tool with a bolt and a couple of nuts.....
the plate has a gasket p/n 914 301 391 00

and tell your folks I said Hi wavey.gif
shaggy
thanks for the size and the p/n

id tell them you said hi if i knew your name...sorry...
they finally got back
had a little trouble on the way but
now it seems to be running well
bd1308
QUOTE (shaggy @ Oct 30 2005, 08:44 PM)
thanks for the size and the p/n

id tell them you said hi if i knew your name...sorry...
they finally got back
had a little trouble on the way but
now it seems to be running well

check Ed's signature wink.gif

b
shaggy
blink.gif

thanks britt
Verruckt
Didn't you just have a REALLY bad oil leak??? Are you SURE that it's not oil? Get some on your finger and smell it. Tranny oil smells WAY different than engine oil. Just make sure. wink.gif
Flat VW
QUOTE (ejm @ Oct 30 2005, 06:38 PM)
be sure you can remove the fill plug before you drain it....you can make your own tool with a bolt and a couple of nuts.....
the plate has a gasket p/n 914 301 391 00

and tell your folks I said Hi wavey.gif

Howdy Ed... wavey.gif

John and Laurie
gregrobbins
Shaggy, give your luck at changing oil, the best way to change the trannie oil is take it to a shop. biggrin.gif

I got a 17mm and 19mm if you need them, give me a call or stop by some eveing.
Flat VW
: lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif

John

P.S. I was gonna put up 914 of um' but my finger was gettin' sore.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.