Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
I have riveras, heard they are real heavy...

fuchs are $$$$

mahles are cool and seem to be pretty reasonable....why are they called gas-burners?

what is the 2nd lightest wheel?

b
Trekkor
You can prolly find Pedrini's for cheap...
jd74914
westerns aren't too heavy and they are cheap and look better than riveras IMHO
Trekkor
We got Western's...
markb
The 5 bolt Mahles are called gasburners, because they look like the gas burners on an old stove. The 4 bolt Mahles are just called Mahles. IIRC, Mahles & Pedrinis weigh about the same. If you have a 73 & up car, make sure the Mahles or Pedrinis are hubcentric or they won't fit.
Aaron Cox
fuchs are too much?
ok.. so no rev's (usually big dollar)
mahles are close to fuchs prices..
pedrinis are cheaper...
empi 8 spokers - look cool, get the right offset and they are cheapenuff...
centerline solids or vented.....
westerns are cheap...and ugly...but better than rivs
then you got the fuglee rivs
STeelies - cheap to free!
markb
Mahles are close to Fuchs prices? I just got one from the classifieds for $35.00, shipped. I don't think I can get a Fuch for that. dry.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (markb @ Oct 30 2005, 09:49 PM)
Mahles are close to Fuchs prices? I just got one from the classifieds for $35.00, shipped. I don't think I can get a Fuch for that. dry.gif

they are closer than pedrinis... and that is a score.

ive seen a set of 5 go for 500-600
and a set of fuchs can go up past that....
Hammy
but Britt i like your riv's.... Call me crazy unsure.gif
i'll trade you my westerners.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Hammy @ Oct 30 2005, 09:53 PM)
but Britt i like your riv's.... Call me crazy unsure.gif

unsure.gif beerchug.gif unsure.gif beerchug.gif huh.gif beerchug.gif blink.gif beerchug.gif icon8.gif beerchug.gif barf.gif
Hammy
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Oct 30 2005, 09:55 PM)
QUOTE (Hammy @ Oct 30 2005, 09:53 PM)
but Britt i like your riv's.... Call me crazy  :unsure:

unsure.gif beerchug.gif unsure.gif beerchug.gif huh.gif beerchug.gif blink.gif beerchug.gif icon8.gif beerchug.gif barf.gif

Whats that supposed to mean Aaron biggrin.gif
bd1308
maybe i'll like em better if i clean them up real good....

b
TonyAKAVW
Here's a set of empis I bought brand new off ebay for $350 or $400 maybe 3 or years ago. I think they looked fairly decent on my first 914. I have them on my yellow car now. I run 195/50s with no clearance problems.

-Tony
Aaron Cox
empis are my fav. 4 lug wheel.....

both of you...get a set smile.gif
Hammy
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Oct 30 2005, 10:13 PM)

biggrin.gif
Why must everyone despise rivieras... I think they're more than decent. Is it the VW thing? To me they're way better looking than my westerns icon8.gif

Empis are pretty neat looking though... Though I'd prefer 4 lug fuchs, with the back spoke part black... wub.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (Hammy @ Oct 30 2005, 10:17 PM)
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Oct 30 2005, 10:13 PM)

biggrin.gif
Why must everyone despise rivieras... I think they're more than decent. Is it the VW thing? To me they're way better looking than my westerns icon8.gif

Empis are pretty neat looking though... Though I'd prefer 4 lug fuchs, with the back spoke part black... wub.gif

to me, the riv's are wannabe 5 lug fuchs, yes they are heavy, and almost all of them are designed for a VW bettle so the offset sucks for decent sized rubber on a stock fendered 914

The 8-spoke american racing rims (which most people incorrectly call EMPIs) are wannabe Minilights, most of these also are the wrong offset....you can still find them brand new in the VW Bug mags for like 69 a pop

the Pedrinis and Mahles (4 lug) are one pound more than the Fuchs
McMark
I'm a fan of the late style steel wheels. They're cheap and you can paint them in fun colors. I have purple/gold flip-flop metallic paint and Trekkor has a set in metallic w/ red candy coat. Fun fun fun.

Mine were voted best wheels at WWC 2005, but I kinda cheated. wink.gif
Hammy
I wonder what are some things I can do with my westerns.. idea.gif
Hammy
QUOTE (redshift @ Oct 31 2005, 12:12 AM)
Westerns rock.

If my wheels don't sell the moment they come off my car (in a month, god I hope) I am doing them in RSR finish, and they will be $850 with caps, and bolts.

But, if someone wanted to buy them stripped, or bead blasted, or etched and coated...

M

Miles, I stupid.... what's RSR?
Aaron Cox
you RSRNot doing that!
Chris Pincetich
What about AR mags?

I haven't driven them yet, cause the '72 I just purchased isn't running yet, but the 4-spoke American Racing chrome mags look pretty sweet. The PO painted the inside GOLD...I'm not too fond of that, but they sure are shiny and sharp with their chrome/gold 911 porsche emblem center caps.

Can anybody chime in regarding the pros/cons of these wheels? I haven't seen them on too many teeners, yet, but the PO sure though they were worth a lot of $$$. rolleyes.gif

beerchug.gif
SirAndy
centerline 7", deep offset, with 225 tires ...
tracks914
i know I've seen them but don't know what they are called but I like the look of the 4 bolt gold honey comb centers on a black or polished outer rim.
I've seen themn on VW's a few times too.
orcadigital
I have a set of the AR's (my street tires are on them actually), and the biggest issue i have is the offset. 195's i struggle to fit under the rear fenders with them, as they are more extreme then the VW offset Empi's. I run 205/50R15's for the track, and basically cant fit anything but the steel wheels and my new Julian Racing rims under the rear fenders, and i had to do some serious pulling to make these work.
Dave_Darling
We've gotten different measurements at different times, but when I weighed the stock alloy wheels I got the following:

Fuchs-- 13 lbs
Mahle -- 14 lbs
Pedrini -- 17 lbs

Not a huge difference, but a difference. Don't know what the steelies weigh, but it's probably over 20 lbs. I also have no idea what the Rivieras weigh.

Most Pedrinis are the ".00" ones, which do not fit on 73+ front hubs (or rather, late 72+) with the hub-centering ring. They fit fine on the rears.... The ones that have a part number ending in ".01" will fit late hubs. Pedrinis tend to be cheap; not sure what the later ones are going for but the early ones seem to run about half the price of the Fuchs or Mahles.

I don't know offhand of any early-hub Mahle wheels. They may be around, but I've never heard of them. There are a few (very few) Fuchs made for early hubs. I have pictures of them if someone is interested from a swap meet a few years ago. (Was it Mark B who had them?)

There are a whole lot of aftermarket wheels. Most have Bug offsets and make it tough to fit wide tires on a 914. Some have 914-friendly offsets. Tough to tell sometimes just from looking.

Britt, you might try cleaning up your Rivs and painting them. Body color might be interesting, or just plain silver, or some contrasting color. Even all-black can look cool...

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.