Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Checked out 5 914's today... pics
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ejm
Guy stopped into the shop around six weeks ago and said he knew someone looking to sell five 914's. He thought a 914 would be a fun car and could I help him check them out. Today the travel, work and weather conficts gave way and we took a ride out to see the cars. They are all more of a project than he is looking for. The owner is slowly clearing the yard and will scrap everything eventually

Two 71's and '74 1.8 on the right...these cars have been here a long time...couple of good seat cushions, dash top and fog lights....and lots of rust
ejm
another '71 with lots of rust
ejm
knew what this was when I saw the wheels....VIN falls in the correct range
ejm
Doors were locked so I climbed in thru the windshield to unlock them and put the window down...still couldn't get the doors open...suspect the lack of any gap had something to do with it....engine and hood pulls were bound up....owners manual was in the glove box....original owner's town is 40 miles away....was last on the road around '90....had a "for sale" spec sheet folded up in the back of the manual....stated that it was a limited edition....had been converted to carbs....wanted $2500...that was 15 years and a lotta rust ago

bd1308
QUOTE (ejm @ Oct 30 2005, 08:51 PM)
knew what this was when I saw the wheels....VIN falls in the correct range

that looks the best out of the lot....

except for the giant hole in the windshield

how's it look inside?

oh and btw, i did what you told me to do with my oil pressure sending unit (teflon thread sealer) and it worked perfect!

thx!

b
sixnotfour
What a waste,The guy probably still wants $$ for them now that they are rust buckets. mad.gif
jd74914
how much was he looking for the cars? especially the LE wink.gif
michel richard
I could use a lower dash knee guard (early style) for my /6 project. Ed, did you see one ? do you know if the owner will sell parts ?

Michel
JeffBowlsby
Nice find Ed. Are these all scrap metal or salvagable? I will add the LE to the Registry...Keep us informed if anything else becomes of this.

What city/state were these in?
ejm
The guy probably still wants $$ for them now that they are rust buckets.

Exactly...he was talking thousands and it's all or nothing....I'm pretty sure the LE would collapse with the doors open....the '71 by itself looked to have the least rust and the longs were wide open at the jack posts blink.gif

What city/state were these in?

dry.gif it was around an hours drive from home...I'm not done yet laugh.gif

Hammy
agree.gif What a waste, damn. Why can't people just take care of cars.. huh.gif

Lots of good parts it seems though.
olav

That's a very sad sight. sad.gif
elocke
Ed,
Think he'll reconsider the "all or nothing" if he gets no takers? I could use some parts. Could you re-post if he does reconsider? How far from the Mass N. Shore?
Thanks
Ed
rick 918-S
Ed, Grab the clear lens on the LE! wub.gif
TC/914
Hey! I'm from Massachusetts and . . . I KNOW that little place! We were there looking at that VW Cabrio, I didn't own the 914 then and never paid any attention to the cars. Kinda put it out of my mind 'til now.

I've gotta get over there with my Buddies and check it out, may steal this deal with an "all or nothing kinda offer." That LE is surely worth the buy-in just to use as a parts mule for a nice "conversion" using my tub.

Thanks for the memory jog, Ed !!

TC
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE (ejm @ Oct 30 2005, 07:37 PM)
Exactly...he was talking thousands and it's all or nothing....I'm pretty sure the LE would collapse with the doors open....the '71 by itself looked to have the least rust and the longs were wide open at the jack posts blink.gif

.....yea, thousands of pennies! All the cars combined may be worth a grand, in scrap and cores, which means the whole lot is worth about half of that. If you can't buy it for half what the fair market value (if there's anyway to discern that), it's not worth it. The guy should know that, or he's looking to hit a home run on a bunch of scrap metal.
davep
QUOTE (ejm @ Oct 30 2005, 06:52 PM)
owners manual was in the glove box

OM should have the original engine # and a model # (473xxx) written into the maintenance section. Any details you can get would be nice.
nomore9one4
heck with the 914's, I want that Dart~! ar15.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.