Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I don't trust the PO
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Always Looking
Hi All,

I want to replace every fuel line in the vehicle, except the ones through the center tunnel - they are pliable and soft. I have some basic questions regarding sizing (since I don't trust what i'm taking off.) Based on some of the searches, I will definitely use the FI hose clamps and will probablly use the standard sizes of fuel line (as opposed to the metric ones). I have a 72 1.7 with the different size tunnel fuel lines and the pump moved to the front under the tank.

5/16 from tank to filter to pump to tunnel?
5/16 from tunnel to rail to injectors to other rail to injectors?
5/16 from rail to pressure regulator?
1/4 from regulator to tunnel?
1/4 from tunnel to Y (1/4 to tank, 5/16 to pump)?

Also, do you just FI hose clamp to the plastic tunnel lines in the engine compartment or am I missing a fitting?
The car has the box fuel filter, but I think this is the wrong one.
The PO had 3/8 line from tank to filter to pump to tunnel (which is where it slipped off and leaked gas in my garage ohmy.gif )

Thanks for the help. beerchug.gif

Cap'n Krusty
"Close" don't get it. 7.5 mm for all of 'em, except for the hose from the plastic line to the filter, which is a special "2 size" hose. (Dealer item). 5/16" is gonna be too loose on the steel and plastic, and you're likely to end up right back where you are, with gasoline all over the floor. You can tighten the hose clamps until the hose seems right, but then you're risking hose damage. Buy the right stuff, do the job once. Gasoline isn't your friend, not when it's spraying all over your hot engine, or creeping toward the water heater or furnace in your garage. The Cap'n
Trekkor
I'm perfectly happy using -6 AN line in place of all my 3/8" sized line. Up the tunnel, too.

Has a 250psi burst strength and you can use regular ss hose clamps. cool.gif

On a F.I. car, I'd do it again.

KT
Always Looking
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 31 2005, 08:48 AM)
"Close" don't get it.  7.5 mm for all of 'em, except for the hose from the plastic line to the filter, which is a special "2 size" hose.  (Dealer item).  5/16" is gonna be too loose on the steel and plastic, and you're likely to end up right back where you are, with gasoline all over the floor.  You can tighten the hose clamps until the hose seems right, but then you're risking hose damage.  Buy the right stuff, do the job once.  Gasoline isn't your friend, not when it's spraying all over your hot engine, or creeping toward the water heater or furnace in your garage.  The Cap'n

At this time, the pump is between the filter and the tunnel, would the 2 size hose go between the tunnel and the filter? Also, If the tunnel plasic lines are different diameters, how could all of the 3 lines connecting to them (except the 2 size one) be the same size. unsure.gif

Also, do i really just hose clamp to the plastic lines?

Thanks for your imput, I'm sure you've replied to this question before (but I couldn't find it on a search).
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (trekkor @ Oct 31 2005, 09:32 AM)
I'm perfectly happy using -6 AN line in place of all my 3/8" sized line. Up the tunnel, too.

KT

why are you using hoseclamps?
IIRC it isnt designed for that. the fittings for AN6 are cheap enough to do it right wink.gif
Trekkor
do it right

Careful... dry.gif

Actually... There are three correct and acceptable ways to use the ss line.

The AN fittings you described, hose clamp that has a sleeve over it to make it look like it has the AN fittings or just the hose clamp.

I have *ZERO* fuel leaks and the hose clamp cannot damage the line or come off.

You might want to price those AN fittings again, bro. cool.gif

I would need to adapt one from the tank, two in and out of the pump, two in and out of a special filter to accomodate the fittings, three in and out of the regulator, and two into the carbs.

I count ten hose end fittings, not including the threaded male adapters into the various fixtures.

Ten ss hose clamps or 20 $5-20 fittings idea.gif

I'm just saying...

Put down the crack pipe... ph34r.gif

J/K lol2.gif ph34r.gif

KT
r_towle
QUOTE (trekkor @ Oct 31 2005, 11:32 AM)

KT

show a pic please....I wanna do new lines in my sons car...I need to see a pic of how you are doing it please.

Rich
Trekkor
Sure...

Aaron Cox
sorry if im mistaken.
Trekkor
Again...

Sure, it would *look* better with all the AN fittings.
I just don't have the extra $300 bucks and 4-6 hours right now. wink.gif

KT
MattR
Question for ya trekkor,

Why use stainless line instead of german for fuel?
Trekkor
It's purdy wub.gif

Actually, it works well and will not fail.

When I ran the line up the tunnel, I wrapped tape around the old plastic line and the ss line using it to pull the new through. Just like a fish tape for electrical pulls wink.gif

KT
bmcwilli
Hey Trek,

you used the -6 AN line up the tunnel? Pretty cool.

And used plain ole ss hose clamps?

Hate to be repititive, but this looks tooo easy. I know if Trek did it, he did it right, just wanna confirm.

What's a good source for the line?

Thx
Trekkor
If you want to run the ss line for your F.I. you will need to run two lines up the tunnel. One is -6 and the other is -5.

You can get the line a t any speed shop or on-line at Summit or Pegasus, etc.

it is easy. and fast. and safe. and fun.

the line is around $7 a foot though.

KT
SirAndy
guys, do me a favor. if there's one place were you should *NOT* cheap out, it's your fuel lines.
please do it *right* and use quality parts and don't mix/match your stuff from home-depot.

to do it right it's still waaaaay cheaper than having your burnt to the ground 914 hauled away to the crusher ...

metric fuel lines and FI hose clamps can be had at any VW-Bug shop.
please ...
wacko.gif Andy
Trekkor
Here's a pic of the sleeved hose clamp for use with -6 Earl's, Aeroquip, Russel, etc. ss line.

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.