Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to clean without removing Ring gear and diff
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
Ok, i'm looking for suggestions. The gear stack is out and there's a bunch of gunk in the rest of the transmission case. Whats the best way to get as much out as possible? I don't want to remove the ring gear and differential.

Dave
Aaron Cox
why not? open up the side cover. pull em out. clean it out, put it back. (the smae way it was)

as long as you use the same total gasket thickness on the int plate, your pinion depth will be right.

pull the sidecover, after pulling the output flanges.... clean to your hearts content

oh... and if you put it in backwards, you havd 5 reverse gears smile.gif
ClayPerrine
Removing the differental will not hurt a thing. The adjustment is done with shims that are between the bearings and the differential carrier. Just pull the side cover and lift out the differental.

Plus, You need to replace the o-ring on the differental cover if you are this far into the tranny.

DNHunt
Ok, Thats great to know. Taking this thing apart is really fun. The cleaning is not so great and buying parts is no fun at all. Both intermediate plate bearings fell apart. I'm going to try Gary Emory at Parts Obsolete and see if he has any reasonable used parts. He's got a lot of stuff in that big old barn.

I'm getting to like the smell of tranny fluid. It's right up there with MEK.

Dave
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (DNHunt @ Oct 31 2005, 08:40 AM)
Ok, Thats great to know. Taking this thing apart is really fun. The cleaning is not so great and buying parts is no fun at all. Both intermediate plate bearings fell apart. I'm going to try Gary Emory at Parts Obsolete and see if he has any reasonable used parts. He's got a lot of stuff in that big old barn.

I'm getting to like the smell of tranny fluid. It's right up there with MEK.

Dave

wait till you take apart one that has late 60's oil in it. i almost vomited......

look on ebay. Carquip (iirc) is selling new FAG bearings. or call matt and tom direct......
or hit up your favorite parts Haus.....

Joe Ricard
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Oct 31 2005, 07:30 AM)
why not? open up the side cover. pull em out. clean it out, put it back. (the smae way it was)

as long as you use the same total gasket thickness on the int plate, your pinion depth will be right.

pull the sidecover, after pulling the output flanges.... clean to your hearts content

oh... and if you put it in backwards, you havd 5 reverse gears smile.gif

Hey don't tell him the secrets to Transaxle repair.
Let him screw it up so we can all laugh at him.

Remember a few months ago when I did that very thing. Remember the book is wrong. ring gear teeth point towards the cover (914 configuration). teeth pointing in 911 configuration.
rhodyguy
this would be a great thread if it had lots of everyone's pictures of transmission tear downs and text.

k
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Oct 31 2005, 08:23 AM)
this would be a great thread if it had lots of everyone's pictures of transmission tear downs and text.

k

Yea I can post a picture of what not to do. Don't leave you intermediate plate and other parts in a rubbermaid box on the bottom shelf. DURING A HURRICANE!
Did all ya'll know that magnesium and salt water DON'T mix. the plate is almost no more. barf.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.