Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: starters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
OMB_Godfather
Got a question. Can these starters heat up to the point of not bein able to turn the car over. I took a 150 mile trip and when i got home my car wouldnt turn over unless i bumped it off the compression stroke of the current cylinder. I was wondering if it was just cause of the long trip or is my starter goin kaput
SLITS
As with all electrical wiring, heat increases resistance and the answer would be YES

Old wiring, dirty contacts, corroded battery cables, etc.

Personally, I like the aftermarket Yappanese gear reduction starters with the new nose...$120 - $200 depending on where you buy them.
anderssj
My car had the same problem for years--even after replacing the starter with a tilton reduction-gear unit and adding a hot-start relay. After that I went through all of the steps listed on the pelican site and added a NOS + battery cable. The "real" fix was replacing the woven ground strap between the trans and the underside of the trunk--at least no problems since then (knock on wood).

Hope this helps
OMB_Godfather
ok just kidding htat wasnt the problem. my alternator doesnt put out enough juice to recharge my battery while im running the stereo while driving. does anybody out there make an alternator taht puts out more power?
bd1308
mine does fine...I even had a amp on it.

check your voltage regulator.

b
SLITS
QUOTE (OMB_Godfather @ Nov 1 2005, 11:51 AM)
ok just kidding htat wasnt the problem. my alternator doesnt put out enough juice to recharge my battery while im running the stereo while driving. does anybody out there make an alternator taht puts out more power?

Yes, there are speciality rebuilders that will do it....but generally no one wants to pay the price.
balljoint
Check member davep.

alternator
914Sixer
You can always put a 72- on 911 starter on and forget all that hot start fix. The bottom line is the original starter is .8 hp. Porsche realized that had a problem and went to 1.5 hp starter for the 911.

You need to also check all the other stuff mention too.
OMB_Godfather
also would a bad regulator cause my car to buck so bad that the engine actually cuts out for a second or 2?
SLITS
QUOTE (OMB_Godfather @ Nov 2 2005, 11:27 AM)
also would a bad regulator cause my car to buck so bad that the engine actually cuts out for a second or 2?

TPS.....common problem of bucking....dirty / worn traces....fuel pump loses power momentarily.
Tom Perso
Just run a GM 1 wire alternator in place of your stock one. Takes a little fab work, but it fits.

user posted image

user posted image

Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.