Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlights a tad tardy...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
akron_zip
I've noticed over the last month that when I pull the switch to fire up the headlamps, that there is a significant delay between when the lamps are in the up and open position and when the lights actually come on. This affects both lights, once they decide to light up, they do so simultaneously. No problem with the headlight motors, they respond quickly. The 'lights on' delay is randomly on the order of 5 seconds or so, sometimes faster, sometimes slower. This has been a gradual degradation over time, I would say, but I drive mostly during the day. Now that time has changed, it's become more urgent to be addressed. Anybody have any greatly appreciated advice on where to start looking first?
[If it matters, "it" is a 1974 stock 1.8L]

Thanks!
Scott
Aaron Cox
hmmm. i have a similar problem.

pull switch out, headlighs come right up, but then i sometimes need to fiddle with the switch to get the lights to kick on.
prolly just dirty contacts.

AA
hmeeder
Sounds more like they are retardy.
Brando
Had the same problem in my '70 beetle back in the day. They almost use the same switch, same design.

Take the switch apart, go in there with some contact cleaner and steel wool. Clean it all up. Spray with Silicon lubricant and superglue (or snap) the housing back together.
bd1308
i think pelican has a tech article on this.....

that is, repairing the light switch.

b
akron_zip
Ok, thanks for the pointers. Didn't think to check Pelican, should have. If I see anything interesting during the fix, I'll post some pictures.

Scott
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.