Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 500HP LS6 powered 914 in MSP
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wbergtho
Greetings all you 914 fans out there! Here's a pic of my 74 Sheridan bodied 500 HP LS6 powered 914. The entire conversion has been running since 2002. It started out an LS1 425 HP motor and then I sold than motor and threw in an LS6 with all forged internals. I'm curious what Nitrous might do for me...but I'm certain the 915 trans would blow to smithereens in a second. I've already done that once before. I am considering a G50/50 but the expense is out of this world!

SPECS:

* Modified Sheridan body w/ 996 intakes, opened up front intake and AIR rear trunk lid
* 930 turbo front suspension & rear 930 turbo brakes & emergency brakes.
* full 8 point cage
* Sparco roadster carbon fibre seats
* Schroth 6 point harnesses
* 500 HP built 2004 LS6 motor
* Custom leather "911" 5 guage dash
* 915 tranaxle w/ LSD and tall 32:20 5th gear, trans pump/cooler(FOR SALE ON E-BAY)
* 993 turbo hollow spoke wheels w/ Pilot sports
* custom ram air feeding from side 996 intakes
* custom tunnel through hood (GT 40 style)
* much more...etc

TRE Cup
perhaps a turbo 930 4 speed would be much better suited to your mini- CanAm monster. Those boxes can still be had below 3k and are very robust. Gearing is pretty suitable as is too.
Nice car!
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (TRE Cup @ Oct 31 2005, 11:51 AM)
perhaps a turbo 930 4 speed would be much better suited to your mini- CanAm monster. Those boxes can still be had below 3k and are very robust. Gearing is pretty suitable as is too.
Nice car!

good suggestion.
geared to the moon....

BUT... mounting// flipping r/p // shifting it are some big hurdles...
yahthatsright
Cool car, any more pics?
nomore9one4
Sweet ride! Nice wheels aswell. beer.gif
jgiroux67
More pics!
Andyrew
Please More pics!!!

Especially of the hood and radiator area.

I very much like your car!!!!

What size tires are you running?
ein 6er
WOW!!!!! awesome!!!! aktion035.gif YES!!! more pics please!!!

and tell us more about the e-brake, with the 930 calipers, which rotors and what cables?

rick 918-S
I think we've spoken on the phone.. Do you work at the airport? Really cool! assimilate.gif
effutuo101
wub.gif
beer.gif
boxstr
Found in another thread.
neo914-6
More of Bill's creation...
chunger
sweet. . . I'd like to see more pics as well smile.gif
ottox914
I recall seeing this car at a couple of our auto x's last year, don't recall seeing it this year. Looked like it needed some suspension developement around the corners, but in a straight line, it looked, and sounded, like it was ready for take off!!! Impressive.
URY914
Is it fast? wink.gif
soloracer
QUOTE (wbergtho @ Oct 31 2005, 10:44 AM)
Greetings all you 914 fans out there! Here's a pic of my 74 Sheridan bodied 500 HP LS6 powered 914. The entire conversion has been running since 2002. It started out an LS1 425 HP motor and then I sold than motor and threw in an LS6 with all forged internals. I'm curious what Nitrous might do for me...but I'm certain the 915 trans would blow to smithereens in a second. I've already done that once before. I am considering a G50/50 but the expense is out of this world!

SPECS:

* Modified Sheridan body w/ 996 intakes, opened up front intake and AIR rear trunk lid
* 930 turbo front suspension & rear 930 turbo brakes & emergency brakes.
* full 8 point cage
* Sparco roadster carbon fibre seats
* Schroth 6 point harnesses
* 500 HP built 2004 LS6 motor
* Custom leather "911" 5 guage dash
* 915 tranaxle w/ LSD and tall 32:20 5th gear, trans pump/cooler(FOR SALE ON E-BAY)
* 993 turbo hollow spoke wheels w/ Pilot sports
* custom ram air feeding from side 996 intakes
* custom tunnel through hood (GT 40 style)
* much more...etc

Gorgeous! Is it just me or does the side shot profile have more than just a passing resemblance to a Carrera GT? Funny thing is this car probably has similar performance to the GT too. Anyone have a CGT that they could provide to do a side by side comparison test? All in favor? wavey.gif
wotan
The car is very, very fast. The reason you might not have seen it this year is he did the LS1->LS6 engine swap earlier in the season, had it repainted, and then his 2nd gear went out on him.

He's working on getting a new transmission together that can handle the 500+ hp that gave his 915 trouble.

I'll tell him to come back and put some more pictures up when he gets a chance.
wotan
Ok I double posted, but I also thought I would add that it looks like some of those pictures were from before it was repainted. His first paintjob had the car panels painted about 3 different shades of white.
Midtowner
Geez, that ride must seriously fast! It needs a name if not done so already. How about "Storm Trooper"? smile.gif
soloracer
That's a perfect name for this car. I like the rear fender scoop idea. I was trying to figure out where to put my oil cooler. Does anyone know what he cools with those ducts? Really nice the way he integrated driving lights into the fenders too. That's also the first time I've seen the stock turn signals mounted on this kit. Not sure if I would do that on mine.
wbergtho
Hi Guys,

My e-mail address is wbergtho@pressenter. I can e-mail you whatever pic of this car you might like. I'll try to throw a few more up for you. To answer a few questions...check out the following:

* How fast? I raced two crotch rockets on I-35E in St.Paul, MN from an on ramp and passed 170 MPH before traffic and a 45 MPH zone forced me to let off. It was still pulling as hard as a freight train! The bikes never got ahead and were lost behind me at around 150 MPH. They weren't Hyabusas but they were big displacement bikes that later put on a full wheelie show at 100MPH+ speeds. I have yet to find out just how fast it will go. The aerodynamic drag and the 500 HP will merge at some point limiting any further speed. I would guess about 180MPH. I was scared at 170...so I'm not sure I'll ever find out.

* Handling not so good at Autocross last year: True...the car has since been better sorted out and Pilot Sports are now on and the P-Zero stiff junk is off.

* The 930 rear brake package was done by a good friend of mine at his shop in Upland, Ca. (RPM) His name is Randy Beck (son of famous 550 Spyder replica & 904 replica builder Chuck Beck). He grafted the entire package onto the stiffened (boxed) 914 trailing arms. Custom emergency brake cables were made up at Terry Cable (Hesparia, CA) with 914 ends on one side and 930 ends on the other. The rear rotors are vented and crossdrilled stock 930 w/ integrated drum emergency brakes within.

* Radiator cooling through the hood? My friend Randy Beck explained to me years ago that it would be smart and trick to run a tunnel through the hood (just like his 911 powered 914 racecar) thereby solving two problems at once. Namely, venting hot air from the radiator & creating a giant amount of aerodynamic downforce. If this is done properly, it will work great. Notice the raised lip on the leading & side edges of the outlet hole on the hood. (more importantly the leading edge. This helps create an evacuation of air out of the tunnel...without this small detail, the air gets "confused" and doesn't want to come out as effectively. My cooling system uses a stock water pump throwing coolant 22 feet up & back and it works like a swiss clock. It never gets over 178 degrees on normal days (65-85 degrees). On very hot days above 95 degrees, idling at a standstill for 10-15 minutes with no airflow...it just might reach 190 degrees! That's lower than what a stock ZO6 reads at freeway speed.

* Use a 930 box: I've thought long and hard...and I still might just use a 930 box due to all the great things about them. They can handle a gob of power & torque, they are geared real tall, and they are reasonably priced. I'm flirting with the idea of running a G50/50 or G50/52 box...but they require an inverted mounting position thereby requiring the rear trunk to be cut out and tube framed (I'm not afraid of the fabrication involved...I'm afraid of giving up the already small amount of trunk space I have left. The front trunk is filled with spare tire, battery, fuel pump & regulator, and tunnel. The G50 boxes can be fitted with a sideshift cable operated system that feels like shifting a 2006 Toyota. The 930 box shifts about like a 915. The G50/50 box is north of 11K!!!I'm still thinking.........

If any of you guys want to e-mail me directly, I'd be happy to talk.

Bye for now,

Bill

* The rear air scoops...what do they feed?: They feed air to the custom airbox mounted in the rear trunk. This in turn, feed air to the engine with a reverse mounted intake manifold on the LS6 engine.
wbergtho
more pics
wbergtho
more pics
wbergtho
more
wbergtho
more
wbergtho
more
wbergtho
more
wbergtho
more
wbergtho
more
wbergtho
more
lotus_65
ah, that's the shit i'd say.

crest.gif crest.gif crest.gif crest.gif crest.gif
Andyrew
Cool stuff!!!

Im running my rad exhaust throught the hood as well, but I havent ducted it. That is how I want to duct it, and I was just wondering how you did it.

Very very nice car!

How much money do you have in it?
wbergtho
Hi,

I HAVE ABOUT 40k INTO IT NOW AND AFTER THE TRANSAXLE ISSUE IS SOLVED...I'D IMAGINE I'LL HAVE NORTH OF 50k IN IT. I DID ALL OF THE ENGINE, BODY, FABRICATION WORK MYSELF EXCEPT FOR A FEW BITS & FINAL PAINTING. I'D IMAGINE I SAVED MYSELF 20K.

REGARDS,

BILL
TJB/914
Bill,

That is one fine looking car. Well engineered and bad to the bone look.

I really like it.

Tom
aircooledboy
WOWSA!!!!! ohmy.gif

Dang Bill. That is pretty amazing. I'm not sure where Roberts WI is, but I think I may have to find out. beerchug.gif

Dr. Roger

is there any chance of seeing this beast through an in-car-video? out of car video? biggrin.gif

bad-ass my friend.
rhodyguy
or just a launch picture with the ass end going sideways and tires up in smoke!! i drove a V-8 car that craig had with over 400hp. dusted a young guy that thought he wanted to play in his brand spanking new mustang gt. i shut it down at 110 and i don't think i was even into the secondaries. when i let him catch up with me he wouldn't even look at me. biggrin.gif

k
wbergtho
I don't have any in car cam footage. I should do a little filming one day just to see what might happen. I think I'd go crotch rocket hunting. ar15.gif Those guys really freak when a car beats them. ohmy.gif (I'm realistic...I know that the fastest bikes on the market will beat me...but not by too much). The 5-6 year old 1000cc bikes usually get their asses handed to them. Nothing puts a smile on my face faster than when that happens. I use to race C-5s alot and haven't had a close one yet. Perhaps the new Zo6. That S.O.B. will haul ass. Anyway, I'll try to post a flame broiling, ass sideways pic for you as soon as the weather allows. I'm waiting for spring time (BIG TIME).

Regards,

Bill
rick 918-S
Bill, Great talking with you yesterday. I can't wait until spring either! We need to caravan to the WCC "06" together! aktion035.gif driving.gif Put some real road miles on our cars!

For now, I heading out to the garage to work on the snow plow... dry.gif
BKLA
Can't wait to see that sideways, smokin' pic!

Great car and nice job!
smilie_pokal.gif
wbergtho
Hey there Rick,

Indeed it was nice chatting with you on the phone yesterday. I would love to caravan with you anytime. aktion035.gif Let's get together as soon as the white stuff melts away and the temps get above 40. Hey Rick, maybe we should just uproot and move to sunny southern California? clap56.gif We could buy some Coppertone, walk out to the garage in your Gym shorts and play with our toys in the middle of February!!!! mueba.gif rocking nana.gif beerchug.gif Yahhh...that's what I'm gonna do. aktion035.gif
GWN7
Sweet car......I have to hide this thread from my son or he will start making plan$............
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.