Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Early vs late steering wheels?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
I pulled the aftermarket wheel and sold it at the R&G swap.. Yesterday I put on a stock wheel from a 73 (car is a 71) and the splines match, but there's a big gap between the wheel and the housing, and the turn signals won't cancel. What's going on here?
SLITS
Difference in the washer / windshield wiper assys? Washer is on dash on early cars and combined in the later cars with the turn signal.

Cancellation is a plastic tab ring that is screwed to the rear of the steering wheel. Several of mine were missing / broken

Horn activation is different too!

Hell, I don't know anything....just guessing....
SirAndy
QUOTE (bondo @ Oct 31 2005, 02:46 PM)
What's going on here?

different steering column ...

cool.gif Andy
ClayPerrine
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
SirAndy
the shaft itself is different from a '73 compared to the early (pre '73 cars) ...
also, the whole assembly, turn signal levers etc. is different. the wheel will fit the spline, but it won't fit the rest of the column ...

btw. switching columns won't work either. not only uses the later column different mounting points, it also uses completely different wires/plugs.

it's not worth all the trouble for just a steering wheel as you'd have to also switch over the complete main wiring harness to make the later column work correctly.

which is, btw., exactly what i did in my car ...
smash.gif Andy
markb
Royce, get the car running, bring it down to the yard, and we'll match it up. I've got a few steering wheels.
dbledsoe
QUOTE (markb @ Oct 31 2005, 07:21 PM)
Royce, get the car running, bring it down to the yard, and we'll match it up. I've got a few steering wheels.

Man, sometimes living in Boise Idaho sucks. I often feel like the Lone Ranger (Lone Teener) up here. I wish I had that kind of support for my pair of 914's! But then again, I am originally from Napa CA. and don't miss it at all.. or do I? cool_shades.gif
bondo
QUOTE (markb @ Oct 31 2005, 06:21 PM)

Cool! Will do! Thanks!
SpecialK
If the splines match (I sure hope they do Britt), then all you have to do is swap the bases. The one with the metal turn signal canceller is a bit taller than the one with the plastic canceller, but the retainer screw pattern is the same on both.
SpecialK
The other kind (newer?)
SpecialK
Remove the three screws holding on the horn contact ring (seen in the second pic), then remove the 4 mounting screws that hold the base on........just did it a few days ago, everything lined up perfect. Or the other way around if you need the longer base assy. (shown in the first pic).
LvSteveH
As far as I know, Kevin is correct. I've swapped several wheels from early to late cars and visa versa by switching the parts shown.
bondo
Sweet, you learn something new every day! Thanks guys!
markb
Yup, that's what we'll do with bondo's. smile.gif
jonwatts
Hey Bondo,

NO REFUNDS!!!!!!

wink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (LvSteveH @ Oct 31 2005, 08:17 PM)
As far as I know, Kevin is correct. I've swapped several wheels from early to late cars and visa versa by switching the parts shown.

if the old adapter fits and the wheel itself is not thicker, this might work.
but i had some problems with later wheels and early adapters where the wheel itself was too thick and you could not get enought threads on the nut.

as i said, the shaft itself is different between the years ...

keep us posted, i'm curious what you guys will find ...
cool.gif Andy
bondo
QUOTE (jonwatts @ Oct 31 2005, 10:30 PM)
Hey Bondo,

NO REFUNDS!!!!!!

Tee hee, that wheel is going on the 73, so it'll work.. this is the wheel that WAS on the 73, and I'm trying to put it on the 71. My god, do I really have multiple 914s again? Sheesh!
tracks914
I have a 72 without the signal canceller. (must have broken off) Another case of living way up north, never even seen another 914 until I restored mine and I just don't know what I just don't know!
Does anyone have an extra one?
orcadigital
The second picture is the later model one (least was the one on my 76). It was a bugger and a half to find one though, because i was silly, and sold my original wheel with the canceling cam on the back (when i got my momo wheel and hub adapter) and didnt know i had to keep the piece. I wasnt able to find one from all my normal shop sources, and finally, my dad happened to be in Oklahoma City for a horse show, and stopped by Oklahoma Foreign and they of course had one. I was so proud when i put my new steering wheel in, and my horns became permanently ON. smile.gif

Now they sit in a drawer of my workbench...

Grant
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.