Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: teener newbie needs advice and some help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jwlester
I am not new to porsches but am very new to the 914s. I have learned a lot in the last couples weeks combing through the posts. I appreciate any help you guys can lend. I am looking at a '72 1.8. First I need as advice for what to look for and what to spend. So..here's a run down after my first look:

Shade tree restoration. Painted panel by panel in the garage. Doesnt match perfectly but a pretty good driver. New used interior just installed. Covered up a bad patch under the passenger seat with glass and foam. I dont know why he did this but he says there was no rust there. We'll see. The hell hole looks pretty good at first glance. Battery tray in good shape. Some things missing like shift knob, radio, console guages, trunk carpet. The rear tires are spaced oddly. It seems like the transaxle is shifted to one side or something. He has put spacers in the springs to try and help but something seems wrong here. The engine has had some work including conversion to single carb but I dont think it has been completely rebuilt yet. New tires and new clutch. All in all I think its probably pretty rust free and a good driver. The owner seems to be starting to think he has more than he does so the price might start to creep up but we will see.

So...what should I look for and what should I expect to pay.

Second...I was wondering if there is anyone in the Charlotte, NC area that would enjoy going and looking at the car with me a second time and pointing out anything I have missed to me and the owner. I want to go into this knowing as much as I can and I wouldnt mind a little ammo to help convince this guy that he has an unrestored 1.7 and not a professionally restored 2.0 Whatever anyone could do would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks for reading and helping a new teener out. Hope to meet some of you soon.

Josh Lester
'86 951
bd1308
from the factory, there were no 1.8 engines that went onto 1972 model year 914s....

anyway, first look under the car, under the right rear, in front of the rear tire.

I would plan on getting your hands dirty trying to look at this thing, since you will during the course of your ownership.

I would be leary of the "modifications" that the Previous Owner did with it though. Some of the mounting considerations might not be as safe or OK as you'd like it to be.

regarding tire offset between sides, you have to remember these were hand-built and spacing may not be equal.

any patching indicates rust fixes...the guy is pulling your leg with the no-rust nonsense.....

could be covering up the hell hole with a simple repair kit.

get dirty and look.

b
scruz914
Some photos would help. Is the car currently advertised on the web? Little chance of rust free and a fiberglass job is the sure sign of two things - rust and that the owner didn't bother to repair it with good metal. Like Britt said, you should crawl around under the battery area of the car with a flashlight. Take the car for a drive to where you can jack it up for a better inspection. I would be real suspicious of the rear wheel offset. Hopefully someone here is close enough to you to help out with an inspection. Post photos if you can.
bd1308
also, if you start pointing out crap to him, like the huge rust hiding on that suspension area or the rust under that patch, the guy'll flip.

dunno if that's a good thing.

b
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE (jwlester @ Oct 31 2005, 03:18 PM)
Covered up a bad patch under the passenger seat with glass and foam. I dont know why he did this but he says there was no rust there.

Why would you foam and fiberglass a floorpan, unless there were holes there, and if so that's the last way to fix it.

Unless this car runs, shifts, drives like a dream, and a really good deal, I'd say NEXT!!!

The single carb is fairly fool proof, but delivers the performance of a tired Ford Pinto.

Keep on looking.

If you know Porsches, then you know the cheaper car on the front end usually will cost you more in the long run.
bd1308
yep...

paid 2K for my crap 914 (now the daily driver)

put 5K more into it.....only because I didn't do more work on it myself. the best quality work on my 914 comes from my hands.

i'm getting close.

b
jwlester
Sorry....i meant 72 1.7. That was a slip. Thanks for the replys.

Josh
jwlester
The patch job I know has to go. I'm sure there is rust there but I'm not worried about that part. I can cut and weld no problem. I am very leary but the car really does look pretty good. Atleast for a driver. Sorry, I have no pictures and it is a local car that fell in my lap not advertised. I know the hell hole looks good at first glance. I'm mainly worried about things I can't see or things I dont know to look for. Any specifics would be great. I know the things I mentioned are not right. That is why I mentioned them. I also know there is no such thing as rust free. The guy glassed it because he probably didn't know how else to make it look decent and hold undercoating. It would be the first thing I cut out. Is there anyone in the Charlotte area????
bd1308
In that case, I'd give the nix.

obviously the seller is hiding things from you. If he thinks that you believe the fabricated stories he's telling you about the patch just for the hell of it, thats BS.

he patched it because he's lazy.

If there is a NOTICABLE difference in rear wheel position, nix it. Who knows what problems the car had that resulted in such disfigurement.

also get someone to drive the car in reverse, and look at the right wheel camber....if the wheel slants like from this " | " to this " \ " when you back up, run far away far away. Suspension console rot.

b
SirAndy
QUOTE (jwlester @ Oct 31 2005, 04:18 PM)
He has put spacers in the springs to try and help but something seems wrong here.

check the pass. side suspension ear for cracks ...
a cracked ear results in a sagging suspension.

welcome to the club!
smilie_pokal.gif Andy
jwlester
[QUOTE]a cracked ear results in a sagging suspension.

Ahhh...I didnt think about that....that makes perfect sense.

So what is a reasonable price to pay for a decent driver?
SirAndy
QUOTE (jwlester @ Oct 31 2005, 05:17 PM)
So what is a reasonable price to pay for a decent driver?

that is a trick question ... rolleyes.gif
i spent $3500 when i bought my car, it was running and driveable, but had issues and bad paint.

i have since spent ~20k on the car and i'm about to drop another ~10k into it ...
unsure.gif Andy
jwlester
OUCH...no I am looking for something that needs limited work to be a decent driver. I dont plan on keeping it for ever and will not put huge money into it. I dont know...I still think this could be a decent deal I just need to know everything that I haven't found yet. I need bargaining tools and knowledge.

How hard are the repairs to a suspension ear? How costly? Is it something I could support and weld myself?

No one in Charlotte???
SirAndy
QUOTE (jwlester @ Oct 31 2005, 05:27 PM)
no I am looking for something that needs limited work to be a decent driver.

How hard are the repairs to a suspension ear?  How costly?  Is it something I could support and weld myself?

i wasn't suggesting a decent driver would cost you $20k ... biggrin.gif
just that there's no end once you get to "it would be nice to have ..."

as for the suspension console/ear, do a search here, it has been discussed several times.
there's also a good thread in the "Classic Message Threads" forum ...

smash.gif Andy
jwlester
Bump

Anyone in Charlotte willing to go look at a 914 with a newbie? I'll buy dinner. Anyone....hellooooooooo.....Anyone?
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE (jwlester @ Oct 31 2005, 04:27 PM)
OUCH...no I am looking for something that needs limited work to be a decent driver. I dont plan on keeping it for ever and will not put huge money into it. I dont know...I still think this could be a decent deal I just need to know everything that I haven't found yet. I need bargaining tools and knowledge.

How hard are the repairs to a suspension ear? How costly? Is it something I could support and weld myself?

No one in Charlotte???

Do not buy a car that needs a suspension console repair! I promise you there are lots of other problems that will eventually present themselves.

If you are serious about finding a good 914, then plan to spend at least $5000, if you find a good car for less then good for you. In reality really good cars are going to start at $7500.

If you want a fixer-upper then find a car that needs paint, and maybe a tired engine. Do not buy a car that's been hit, or rusted up and welded back together, or needs to have panels replaced. There is always at least 20% more corrosion than you can see on the surface.

aveale
Remember, A good body has less headaches attached than a poor running engine (trust me I know).

T

jwlester
Thanks for the input guys. Anyone willing to go along for one last thourough look. I want to go over it real close before I walk away.

Thanks, Josh
RobK72
don't let these guys scare you. I just bought a 72 1.7 a few months ago for $500! needed 1st gear and brakes. paints crappy interior ok but overall a solid car. took a 3rd gear syncro and dog put it on 1st, works great, $50 for caliper rebuild kits at flaps. Been driving the hell out of it the past month and havent had this much fun since the last one I had rusted in half 6 years ago. If its cheap enough get it, have fun then buy a parts car for a couple hundred bucks. If you can turn a wrench you can fix a 914 yourself, what cost is buying new parts and paying to have the work done. sorry for rambling on, anyway there are good deals out there and some times you just have to take a chance. good luck!
davep
Try contacting member "adidas" . He is local.
jwlester
Thanks guys. I'm definitely not worried of turning a wrench. Thats the only way anything gets done in my 951. I would just like a seasoned opinion up close and personal.

Thanks for the tip davep.

I'm guessing if there is suspension problems...and there probably is...it is a crack and not rust.

Anyway...thanks to all...keep it coming. Anymore problem areas I should look for??

Josh
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.