Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any San Diego Listers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sjhowitson
I need some help. I am looking at a car on Ebay. Number 458574750. Anybody in San Diego willing to go have a look for me? It's worth a case of beer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...%3AAAQ%3AUS%3A1
hmeeder
Steve;

I'd be willing to take a look for you. The car looks sharp and clean. A couple of things I'd ask about and are kind of "flags" for me.

1. The guy says he has had 10 914s yet doesn't know if it is a 2.0 or 1.8.

2. Says that it has new carbs. No '74 car had carbs, so it sure as hell isn't original in that regard.

3. Says the title shows actual miles. Why didn't he list that instead of the 12475 it says at the top of the page?

4. Based on the fact that the car has no appearance package, painted bumpers, no sail panel trim, I'm guessing it's a 1.8. base model car.

5. If carbs have been put on the car without the engine having been rebuilt, then it's still got the FI cam and that will probably make it a bit of a dog above 3500 RPM. Without the correct cam, carb'ed cars tend to have a huge flat spot in the higher RPM range.

6. Ask for photos of the engine compartment and numbers off the engine block. The 1.8 starts with EC and the 2.0 has a GA code (assuming the original block is still in the car.) For all you know, it could be a bus motor.

7. Says it has brand new wheels. That makes them more than likely Fuchs replicas with a VW offset. They sure as hell aren't NOS wheels. Those would go for more than the car is listing for.

Anyone know any other good questions to start asking?

My direct email is hmeeder@cox.net Give a shout when you know more
VegasRacer
It looks nice in the photos. Check the details.
No fog lights indicate it is probably a 1.8
The window crank on the passenger side is missing the cover.
The top of the dash looks funky. Has it been recovered?
The storage compartment in the center between the seats looks like it has been recovered in a basket weave material. It should be smooth vinyl.
DonTraver
Have you read this guys feedback? Reads like a disaster, I wouldn't go near this guy. Good Luck, Don
Ferg
I agree, BEWARE! Look at the close up pic of the drivers windsheild corner (looks like a treated rust hole!), and the above the drivers tailight a dent with rust.

Ferg.
SLITS
Possibly fake Fuchs (American Eagle) rims....judging from the center caps.
boxstr
On Ebay feedback is everything. I would say if you are comfortable with the sellers rating, then I would take a drive to San Diego and look at it for yourself. That way you cannot blame someone else if you get a POS.
CCLINEBAYMYWAY
sjhowitson
Thanks for all the feedback. I got a bad vibe from the seller via email. I think I will pass on this one. As always thanks to all for the help.
Midtowner
Yeah, check that wiring in the front trunk too. I've got a non-appearance group, 2.0. The middle cushion should be smooth as noted above. IMHO, this car is probably a "five footer" but maybe ugly under the covers. Good luck! smile.gif
TROJANMAN
rust through in the floormat?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.