Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield wiper question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
David_S
I was messing with my wipers today and can't get them to work on high, figured out I need a new switch in the column. I also noticed that Hayne's says this is a two speed motor, so I would think that the switch would have three positions(off, low, and high), but my switch has four positions. What is the fourth position for? Car is a 1973. What am I overlooking ??? Thanks .....David
SirAndy
QUOTE(David_S @ Aug 13 2003, 10:43 PM)
I was messing with my wipers today and can't get them to work on high, figured out I need a new switch in the column. I also noticed that Hayne's says this is a two speed motor, so I would think that the switch would have three positions(off, low, and high), but my switch has four positions. What is the fourth position for? Car is a 1973. What am I overlooking ???   Thanks .....David

if position 4 is down, then it's for the intermittent they never hooked up.
some cars have it on the column, but it was never used.

you can, however, add a sort of intermittent
by adding a intermittent relay to your wire harness.
the factory has already a place reserved for that.
however, that intermittent relay only works in conjunction with your
windshield washer, meaning your wipers will run 3 or 4 times when
you activate the windshield washer ...

a article on how to hook this up can be found here:
Wiper relay instructions ...

later,
Andy
David_S
So .......... without the intermittent relay, the positions starting from "down" would be ....off, off, low, high, ? This is how they are now, except no high because my switch is bad. Can these switches be repaired or do I have to live with it since they are NLA ??
Kerrys914
Andy aktion035.gif ..Does one need to get an additional wiring harness for the relay OR is the factory harness wired for this relay?

Cheers beer.gif
Kerry
SirAndy
QUOTE(Va914 @ Aug 14 2003, 10:59 AM)
Andy aktion035.gif ..Does one need to get an additional wiring harness for the relay OR is the factory harness wired for this relay?

you'll need a additional harness with the socket for the relay.
this is/was a original porsche part, never seen it for sale anywhere,
i got mine from a donor car that had it installed.

but all cars (73+) come with the connectors to hook this up.

Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(David_S @ Aug 14 2003, 10:51 AM)
So .......... without the intermittent relay, the positions starting from "down" would be ....off, off, low, high, ? This is how they are now, except no high because my switch is bad. Can these switches be repaired or do I have to live with it since they are NLA ??

get a new assembly from a donor car.
i got mine from EASY in oakland ...

usually, the lowest position is blocked out by the plastic cover.
Andy
ThinAir
What happened to the pictures in the original thread about how to do this?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...t=ST&f=5&t=2094
SirAndy
QUOTE(ErnieDV @ Aug 14 2003, 02:00 PM)
What happened to the pictures in the original thread about how to do this?

damm, i didn't even know the pictures were missing.
i updated my website and forgot to move them over.

fixed. they work again.

so, here are the instruction WITH pictures ...
Bleyseng
Andy, is this a classic thread yet?? It should be.

Geoff
Hi_Fi_Guy
I have a '74 and the manual states that this position is for "mist" and the wipers sweeps once every 8-10 sec.s Works for me just as the manual says. I have heard that true intermittents were available on the 916-6 cars.

Ironically my 2002 Boxster has the same feature... seems you have to get the Bozster "S" to get the real intermittent wipers.

Some things never change.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.