Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got my fender flares
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
Yes I searched and didn't find much. Must be using bad key words.
3M makes some kind of adhesive to glue them on.
Questions of body prep like where to cut, where to line up new fiberglass pieces, do I need to peel all paint off and prime with what.

Want to make them last through a few cones anyway.

Bondo or Metal ready.
neo914-6
Getty has instructions

Dan Root had a nice thread but I don't find it anymore...
Joe Ricard
Bump for Root input and procedures
BTW The pieces look great thanks Mike.
URY914
On my rear flares I lapped the f/g flare to what is left of the steel body q-panel and than used f/g to smooth out the joint on the outside. But now that I am able to remove the entire q-panel and see the inside, there is or was a problem. I needed to grind down the metal to the f/g flare on the INSIDE of the fender and cover the joint with f/g to seal it off form water/dirt. This would be a PITA on a car where you could not remove the fenders. But it has to be done. You need to get up in the wheelwell and cover that metal to flare joint with glass mat/cloth material.
Joe Ricard
Thanks Paul, That's the stuff I want to know before diving in. BTW we need to figure out how to get the rest of my stuff here. Going to bite the bullet and get it painted once all is done.
URY914
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Nov 1 2005, 05:53 AM)
BTW we need to figure out how to get the rest of my stuff here. Going to bite the bullet and get it painted once all is done.

I've got your doors curing in my attic. wink.gif
Root_Werks
Sort of a bummer, I can't find the thread I did when I put flares on a V8 914 for CAMP914 earlier this year.

I use fiberglass to bond the flares with front and back. It's a long process, but if you do it right, they turn out really nice.

Can any of the admins do a search for a thread that might have been deleted by mistake? sad.gif It had lots of good pictures in it. I almost always put "Root" in the subject line.
Joe Ricard
Front and back??? is that same as inside outside? Sorry I work with a bunch of ME's and EE's

Root_Werks
Yeah, inside and outside. I made a smooth edge on both sides when I bond them. Usually I start with screwing the flares on with as few screws as possible. Then bond the spaces between the screws both sides. Pull screws out, finish bonding the inside and then take a 40grit DA to the outside and form it as best I can which removes 90% of the outside stuff you put on. But now when you re-glass it, you won't need as much (Cause the inside glass is doing much of the work) and you won't need as much filler to feather the flare into the fender. Plus it's really strong. I cut the fenders out and leave a 1/4" lip for the flare to rest on.
Kerrys914
Use MAR-Glass for the main bonding agent..This suff works great. Use the LARGE C-grips used in welding to help with the mounting. I used them with fender washers and sheet metal screws to hold the flares on while it bonded up.

Make sure you remove all the paint BEFORE you cut and bend up the inner lip..PITA to do it after the fact wink.gif

Oh and it sucks to smooth them out...It took me a while to get mine smooth due to crappy fitting flares. I hope yours are better then mine were headbang.gif

I have some photos of the process I used on my home PC.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (Kerrys914 @ Nov 1 2005, 09:47 AM)
Use MAR-Glass for the main bonding agent..This suff works great. Use the LARGE C-grips used in welding to help with the mounting. I used them with fender washers and sheet metal screws to hold the flares on while it bonded up.

Make sure you remove all the paint BEFORE you cut and bend up the inner lip..PITA to do it after the fact wink.gif

Oh and it sucks to smooth them out...It took me a while to get mine smooth due to crappy fitting flares. I hope yours are better then mine were headbang.gif

I have some photos of the process I used on my home PC.

Got to love this place there is more methods of doing something than you can shake a stick at. Keep them coming and pics always help.
Kerrys914
Have you seen the photos of the BOLTED on look with flairs? I have seen some that look nice on a racer. cool.gif

Sure would save alot of WORK
Dave-O
QUOTE (Kerrys914 @ Nov 1 2005, 01:32 PM)
Have you seen the photos of the BOLTED on look with flairs? I have seen some that look nice on a racer. cool.gif

Sure would save alot of WORK

I agree Joe, Bolt them on!
J P Stein
I used 3/16 large head rivets. To fill the gap inside, expanding foam.....works as a glue, also. Not too stylish but hay, it's a race car. biggrin.gif
Covered the inside glass surfaces with the foam to keep the rocks from starbursting the flares/fender.
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Nov 1 2005, 12:08 PM)
I used 3/16 large head rivets. To fill the gap inside, expanding foam.....works as a glue, also. Not too stylish but hay, it's a race car. biggrin.gif
Covered the inside glass surfaces with the foam to keep the rocks from starbursting the flares/fender.

Guess I never picked up on the rivets on your car. Post pic please.
Good idea on the foam lined fenders. Hoosiers do throw lots of rocks. biggrin.gif
J P Stein
Pictures of my car?.......well, OK laugh.gif
Lessee what I have. I haven't got anything that shows the whole fender from a good distance....but some snipets.
J P Stein
What the hell, I'll go take one.
URY914
Joe, this is what I mean on the inside of the fender....

J P Stein
I decided that the way Randal Barrick's flares were attached were presentable so I stolt his method. It was really pretty easy, I was sick....sick I tell ya...of doing body work, they removable (tho it would take some doing) while not damaging the paint. They'll never pass muster at a concours tho. biggrin.gif
URY914
nutter...
URY914
mo...
URY914
In the one above you can see when I've covered the joint with f/g.
I need to finish up all the way to the back...
URY914
Sorry to butt in, JP... sad.gif
J P Stein
Butt away, you gots things to add to any 914 discussion.
How's that car workin'?
McMark
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Nov 1 2005, 06:59 AM)
Sort of a bummer, I can't find the thread I did when I put flares on a V8 914 for CAMP914 earlier this year.

I use fiberglass to bond the flares with front and back. It's a long process, but if you do it right, they turn out really nice.

Can any of the admins do a search for a thread that might have been deleted by mistake? sad.gif It had lots of good pictures in it. I almost always put "Root" in the subject line.

You deleted it. I've moved it back to the garage, as you requested.

Here's the link.
URY914
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Nov 1 2005, 05:06 PM)
Butt away, you gots things to add to any 914 discussion.
How's that car workin'?

Details, details, details...

Runs STRONG, looks like crap.

J P Stein
QUOTE (URY914 @ Nov 1 2005, 05:36 PM)

Runs STRONG, looks like crap.

If you got it down to just one or 2 colors... laugh.gif
Even my garage paint job looks gud from 20-30 feet.....and Yellow is faster (and hides "stuff")
root
Here's a link to my thread with some fiber flare mounting pix. wink.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...2&t=21860&st=20
Joe Ricard
Ok so what is the deal with placement of GT flares. I have been looking at (and paying attention) as to where the flare is placed. Some are high up and almost even with the trunk lid in rear. Fronts are from 3" of fender abover the flare to nearly even again with the top of the fender.

JP them rivets look like the ones I see on them...... Oh never mind I know where they came from. GOTS anymore????
Mueller
Hey Joe, glad the flares made it to you intact smile.gif

Hope you find good uses for those plastic bags.........
URY914
Put 'em where you want them. Ain't no right or wrong. biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (Mueller @ Nov 2 2005, 01:16 PM)
Hey Joe, glad the flares made it to you intact smile.gif

Hope you find good uses for those plastic bags.........

Yea, found good use for the bags. Delivery driver fit nicely. Mike if you were tracking them as I was you would have seen the 4 rescheduled delivery dates.
On the 4th day I personally went down there and chewed out everyone within ear shot. ar15.gif They got delivered that night.

Sometimes it pays to be a prick. dry.gif
Hmm Put them where I want. blink.gif I guess I will go with some of the vintage pics of the GT's racing @ Lemans
Root_Werks
QUOTE (McMark @ Nov 1 2005, 05:15 PM)
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Nov 1 2005, 06:59 AM)

I use fiberglass to bond the flares with front and back.  It's a long process, but if you do it right, they turn out really nice.

Can any of the admins do a search for a thread that might have been deleted by mistake?  :(   It had lots of good pictures in it.  I almost always put "Root" in the subject line.

You deleted it. I've moved it back to the garage, as you requested.

Here's the link.

Cool! Thanks, sometimes I try to clean things up a little too much. rolleyes.gif
WRX914
If I were going to put on F/G flares, I would definately use the Mar-Glass that was spoken of earlier in this thread, and there is another product called kitty hair. Both of them work well, and is much stronger than normal resin coated F/G. You can find these products at any reputable body shop supply store. beerchug.gif Hope this helps...
andys
QUOTE (audioculture @ Nov 2 2005, 02:15 PM)
If I were going to put on F/G flares, I would definately use the Mar-Glass that was spoken of earlier in this thread, and there is another product called kitty hair. Both of them work well, and is much stronger than normal resin coated F/G. You can find these products at any reputable body shop supply store. beerchug.gif Hope this helps...

Mar-Glass is a Bondo product. Lit says it is short strands of f'glass and polyester. I would think an epoxy based product would have better bonding characteristics, as would a urethane based product. I checked the 3M and SEM urethane products, but you have to buy the $$ dispensing gun/static mixing tube(s). What about ALL-Metal? Anyone try this for bonding flares? Any other suggestions?

Andys
J P Stein
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Nov 2 2005, 01:09 PM)

JP them rivets look like the ones I see on them...... Oh never mind I know where they came from. GOTS anymore????

I have a few, but I can get more at the bolt store.....How many you want?
J P Stein
Found another pic, Joe
Van914
smilie_pokal.gif
Hey JP more pictures!!!
Van914
J P Stein
A link to a thread over on the bird board.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....light=J+P+Stein
Joe Ricard
Ya know I think I kinda like the rivet thing cept I think i want to keep them aluminum colored under the painted fenders.
Ya I know I can ever do nuthin the easy way.
J P Stein
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Nov 5 2005, 05:21 PM)
I think i want to keep them aluminum colored under the painted fenders.

You wanna say that in wurds a yankee can understand?
I'm having trouble with "under the painted fenders"

Counter sunk below the level of the fender surface?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.