Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: delayed wipers on early cars?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
Did the 73+ cars have a option for delayed wipers? what about 70-72 cars? My recent FFC drive there and home it would have been nice to have delayed wipers, I hate manual delayed wipers. biggrin.gif

Anyone added delay wipers to the pre 73 914?

One nice thing about having the wiper control on the dash, no chance of turning wipers on while AXing. Now hitting the turn signal is a different story dry.gif
Aaron Cox
as in, the switch is on the dash? or a column one?

i happen to have the magic 4 position stalk in my car. no relay or harness yet :/
jimtab
QUOTE (itsa914 @ Oct 31 2005, 07:56 PM)
Did the 73+ cars have a option for delayed wipers? what about 70-72 cars? My recent FFC drive there and home it would have been nice to have delayed wipers, I hate manual delayed wipers. biggrin.gif

One nice thing about having the wiper control on the dash, no chance of turning wipers on while AXing. Now hitting the turn signal is a different story dry.gif

I know the 74 2.0 I bought new in 74 had innermittant wipers and I THINK my '73 did too, but the 73 I have now either doesn't have them or the owner can't figure out how to hook it up correctly (bet on #2)..... happy11.gif
Elliot_Cannon
My 73 has them.
Elliot
SirAndy
QUOTE (itsa914 @ Oct 31 2005, 08:56 PM)

pre '73 has the wiper switch on the dash and no provision in the harness for the intermittend relay ...

cool.gif Andy
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Oct 31 2005, 10:10 PM)
QUOTE (itsa914 @ Oct 31 2005, 08:56 PM)

pre '73 has the wiper switch on the dash and no provision in the harness for the intermittend relay ...

cool.gif Andy

dry.gif well that sucks. It can't be to hard to figure out a way of doing it. Not that I drive much in the rain but this would be a nice to have.

One more thing to add to my "Hey that would be nice" list laugh.gif
914Sixer
The 73-76 had intermittent wipers as an option. You need the relay and harness for wiper motor. I think the harness is still available at about $45 and the relay is about that much.

You need to break the tab off under the column mounted wiper switch. This will allow you to used the down postion needed for the intermittent wipers. You can check to see if you have the correct switch installed by doing this.

The wiring diagram is available in most of the repair books and the factory manual but it is listed for 74- model cars for some reason
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (914Sixer @ Nov 1 2005, 07:17 AM)
The 73-76 had intermittent wipers as an option. You need the relay and harness for wiper motor. I think the harness is still available at about $45 and the relay is about that much.

You need to break the tab off under the column mounted wiper switch. This will allow you to used the down postion needed for the intermittent wipers. You can check to see if you have the correct switch installed by doing this.

The wiring diagram is available in most of the repair books and the factory manual but it is listed for 74- model cars for some reason

My car is a 70 with wiper control on the dash, but I would think I could install the later model harness but switch might be a problem idea.gif
anderssj
I added a delay relay and wiring to my 72 about 15 years ago--found the relay and harness in a wrecked 75 in the Seattle area (NW Auto Wrecking on E. Marginal way?). Not sure if I still have any notes or instructions from the install, but I I think it was pretty straight forward. Let me know . . . .
Teknon
I have a 70 car and picked up a 74 steering column. Does any one have a schematic or rather the knowledge to convert the one to the other??? sawzall-smiley.gif
markb
QUOTE (Teknon @ Nov 1 2005, 08:32 AM)
I have a 70 car and picked up a 74 steering column. Does any one have a schematic or rather the knowledge to convert the one to the other??? sawzall-smiley.gif

I'm going thru that right now. I have another thread asking for pics of early wiring so I can figure it out.
Teknon
QUOTE (markb @ Nov 1 2005, 09:36 AM)
I have a 70 car and picked up a 74 steering column. Does any one have a schematic or rather the knowledge to convert the one to the other???  :sawzall:

I'm going thru that right now. I have another thread asking for pics of early wiring so I can figure it out.

Mark, I have three sets of wires coming out of the column. 9 wires in one, 6 in another and 5 in the last. Keep me posted on what you find. Im not at the stage of putting in the column yet. Still addressing rust. smash.gif welder.gif
SirAndy

i did just that, but i cheated ... biggrin.gif

not only did i use the steering column from a '74, i also replaced my old and rotten main wiring harness with one out of a '74.
wires matched up perfectly!

you'll have to sawzall-smiley.gif the plate that mounts the column to the underframe to make it fit.
the early mounting frame is narrower. hard to describe and i don't have pics, but it can be done ...

oh, and the '74 shaft going down to the firewall steering coupler has a different length and needs to be re-notched to fit correctly. if you don't do that, the coupler will bind when you turn the wheel ..

smash.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.