Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calling San Diego!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cbenitah
ok,
Maybe if you guys have followed my threads you'll know that I am not doing the best with my engine.. the 1.8 is not feeling good at all! Today it jumped in 1st and 2nd gear.. can't really explain it in any other way.. If ANYONE of you San Diego Teeners have time and the knowledge, please contact me so we can meet up.. I NEED to know exactly what is wrong woth my engine.. Since in the past I havent got any straight answers at all.. It "could" be the FI switch to Carbs, It's prob, nothing.. OK! But all i know is that when I got my car it was fine... So, if you have time and want to take a look at it, it would be worth tens and thousands of smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Either send me a PM or call me 858-353-5459

/A lost swede in a German piece of Art
bd1308
DONT SWITCH TO CARBS.

check dwell, 45-50 degrees
timing (set at idle for L-jet)
vac leaks *****

check all those.

b
cbenitah
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Oct 31 2005, 10:39 PM)
DONT SWITCH TO CARBS.

check dwell, 45-50 degrees
timing (set at idle for L-jet)
vac leaks *****

check all those.

b

Trust me I would!

I just don;t know how! welder.gif ar15.gif wacko.gif
bd1308
go to FLAPS and purchase a dwell meter and timing light.

go to pelicanparts and look for the timing your 914 tech article

the intresting thing about L-jet cars, reading from the tech article, is that they are timed at idle....something like 800 RPM.

smile.gif

dwell is measured like this:

Red probe goes to negative terminal on coil (same one as the wire coming from the distributor)
black probe goes to "A" ground....I use the ground lug on the battery....

it spits out the value....should be between 45-50. If not, take a small screwdriver, pop open the distributor cap and look for the ignition points. its the silver thing that rubs on the little cam. use a feeler guage and adjust accordingly. dwell is amount of degrees the points stay open.

look, if I can do it without any previous knowledge, you can do it.

vac leaks: check all hoses, and when your about to throw up because you checked for hose leaks all day, check them again. smile.gif

also check your valves (get someone to do it) it will mess with engine operation.

have fun! call me if you need help 502-741-0183

b
cbenitah
i just did a valve adjustment...

ok, Check the hoses... I have done that over and over again.. although I have no ide how to check it.. I got the haynes manual, but what i would need is someone who says.. look at Page 3748 row 29..

so if you have any suggestions... monkeydance.gif
Twystd1
Question..

Did you switch from FI to carbs?

Or carbs to FI?

Thats a good place to start...

Twystd1
cbenitah
QUOTE (Twystd1 @ Oct 31 2005, 11:54 PM)
Question..

Did you switch from FI to carbs?

Or carbs to FI?

Thats a good place to start...

Twystd1

nope.. its been stock since 1973 (as far as i know)

so FI! never carbs
Twystd1
I should of checked your other threads first.

I just read through them....

I wish i was the guy with the answers.

There are many guys that know more than me on factory FI...

So I will just shut up and learn along with you.....

Twystd1
DonTraver
I'd like to help, but I know absolutely nothing about the FI system.

Had a 71 back in the 80's, I remember that the points had to be set to 49 or it ran like crap. 48 or 50 just didn't get it. Not saying this is your problem.

You could take it to Brad Roberts at Mind over Motorsports, think that's right, from what I understand he's supposed to be the best at them, just going by what I've read on this site.

good luck, Don
MecGen
Hey
What excactly is
the 1.8 is not feeling good at all! Today it jumped in 1st and 2nd gear

If I understand correctly, when in first and second gear the motor was bucking/surging...?

With old FI systems there is no high tech diagnosis just good mechanics. In your case it doesn't sound like an adjustment just a FKed part. The average backyard warriors don't have the experience to have a money saving experience, with FI. sad.gif
Not to mention there are sooo many posibilities...

One thing I can say, the last FI ball breaker I did in a 914, ended up being a gas tank full of mud. I am a firm believer, its a good thing for any 20+ year car, remove tank, and check and clean it, replace fuel filter. Even if it doesn't fix your troubles, one less thing to pay someone for. spank.gif

Good Luck
+Karma
Later

beerchug.gif
Mueller
you have conflicting information here...is your car a '73 like you mentioned?

a '73 should be a 1.7 or 2.0...

if so, is it a 1.7 w/D-jet or has someone transplanted a 1.8 in it w/L-jet or what???

cbenitah
QUOTE (Mueller @ Nov 1 2005, 06:48 AM)
you have conflicting information here...is your car a '73 like you mentioned?

a '73 should be a 1.7 or 2.0...

if so, is it a 1.7 w/D-jet or has someone transplanted a 1.8 in it w/L-jet or what???

-74 my bad, had a long day yesterday
Mueller
do a search for "L-Jet"

Clay has posted lots of good information on troubleshooting these systems.

They do not like vac. leaks at all, even a bad o-ring on the oil filler tube can cause problems. Another problem I had on my old 1.8 was the dual relay near the battery, this controls the fuel pump and energizes the injectors when the airflap opens when cranking the engine
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.