Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What size front torsion bars?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billd
If I put 180lb rear springs on the rear of my 73 2.0L what size torsion bars should I put in front to balance them? 22mm? 23mm? Also is there much difference between the solid bars and the hollow bars other than weight?

My car has stock sway bars front and rear. Are these adequate? or will I need a stiffer front sway bar?
Britain Smith
I say keep the front bars stock for auto-x and upgrade to an adjustable 22mm or so front bar. Add a rear bar and dial it in with the front adjustable bar.

-Britain
Trekkor
Yep, good advice from Britain.

I'm running 200# rear springs with stock torsion bars.

KT
Andyrew
I on the contrary am running a 22mm bar with stock sway bar up front, and 180's in the rear...

I'd say it would be nice in a 4.. but its major understeer in a v8.

Andrew
Dave_Darling
Remember, the suspension is a system--it all works together.

I would think that 21mm torsion bars would be a half-decent match to 180 lb/in rear springs when the stock sway bars are used. However, I personally would go with the large front sway bar and stock torsion bars. The sway bar should be adjustable, to let you fine-tune the balance of the car.

Another thing to remember--different drivers prefer different types of suspension setups. What is best for me may not be best for you.

Finally: Hollow torsion bars are lighter than solid ones. By a little tiny amount, very low in the car. Not worth it IMHO. They are usually listed as "equivalent rate to a solid XXX bar", so you don't have to do any math to figure out what kind of spring rate they will give you.

--DD
Jacques
QUOTE (trekkor @ Nov 1 2005, 08:26 AM)

I'm running 200# rear springs with stock torsion bars.

KT

hijacked.gif Which 200#'r are you using (manufacturer)??
airsix
I'm with Dave. I don't like stock torsion bars with heavy rear springs and a large sway-bar to try to compensate. It works fine in the corners, but in a straight line you have a lot more brake dive and weight transfer under braking than you want. IMHO.
-Ben M. (21mm torsion bars, 180# rear springs, 19mm swaybar [too small])
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.