Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transfer the parts to a good roller...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
We hear it all the time.. "transfer the parts to a good roller"... I am so tempted to do that for my driver, as it "seems" like it would be easier and faster than repairing the (non structural) rust.

Can it be done in a weekend with help?
markb
You're just talking motor/trans, interior, right? Or supension, brakes? What all are you looking at doing?
TonyAKAVW
Well, I'm going on 2 years, and decided to change the engine to a Subaru... Swapping parts tends to be a while your in there thing.

I would guess if you had a crew of three people, you could remove everything in a day, and install it in two more. Probably could be done in less time if the crew knows what they are doing, and nothing falls apart during the swap.

-Tony
bondo
QUOTE (markb @ Nov 1 2005, 11:23 AM)
You're just talking motor/trans, interior, right? Or supension, brakes? What all are you looking at doing?

Engine, trans, interior, including guages and dash, and lights. Probably a bunch of other little things.
SLITS
If you're Glenn Sager....'bout 5 - 10 years wink.gif

Anyone else...could be done in a week's working time. smilie_pokal.gif
balljoint
80 hours for 1 person

Oops, that would be in one direction, so double that for a re and re.
Brando
If you're transferring to a good roller, don't let DWD take effect.

Since you'll have everything out of the new body, might as well strip the engine bay and POR15 it, right? And since you've gone that far, might as well repair any rust in the hell-hole and longs... Then the front and rear trunk... then it takes you 2 years.
Dave_Darling
If you look like Jenny, it takes about 5-10 914club members a full day to strip down the old car. And about an equivalent amount of time to install the major parts onto the new chassis--at least, well enough to be driveable. And a third full day to get "most of the little stuff" dealt with and swapped. Things like the "rest of the" interior, working lights, etc. wink.gif

Be sure to provide plenty of beverages and BBQ. And someone nice-looking to stare at when the clubbers are not workin' on the car. (Someone who looks as nice as Jenny is even better! wub.gif )

--DD
tracks914
The faster you do it, the less likely you will have to do things twice. If you take too long, you'll ineviably put some things in too soon then have to take them out in order to put other things in.
Been there done that, too many times.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.