Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.0 chain tensioners
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
i am looking for pics of the tensioner chains, what i should be looking for when i take them apart good and bad....one of the seals is gone on the backside and dripping oil....
thanks
steve
Gint
No pics... but I wanted to say "Hi!" and give you a ...

icon_bump.gif
J P Stein
If I understand correctly, your leak is coming from the back side of the chain housing(side adjacent to the cylinder).
I have a pair of loose housings for pics if ya need em'.

Correct?
pete-stevers
yes that is correct, it is leaking from backside of the tensioner any pics greattly appreciated, including a pic of a correct chain tensioner pic..

Mike i have been busy with life, my brother got married, the six coversion.... and the vegtables keep me hopping...haven't been posting much but cheers beerchug.gif
pete-stevers
bumpity bump..... icon_bump.gif
J P Stein
OOPS!
Old guys forget stuff.
I'll get on it. huh.gif
J P Stein
OK, here's a pic of the inside with some of the guts installed.
J P Stein
Pic with no guts. Note the shafts that penetrate the back side.
J P Stein
And finally, the backside. Those shafts (studs?) are pressed into the (maybe shrink fit) back of the casting. The "seal" is a blob of epoxy on that back face. It actually works pretty well. Be thankful that you have aluminum chain boxes as they hold up much better that the Magnesium jobbies in this area. That epoxy has been known to fail & leak. Normaly, it doesn't, but if the big shaft gets to rocking in it's bore due to the old style chain wheel support binding on it.......not gud

I had a mag box give up in this manner and start working it's way out the back....till it hit the cyl head fins....good damn thing the fins stopped it.
pete-stevers
big thank you... biggrin.gif that is exactly what i am looking for, but one question is that a hydrolic tensioner?
TimT
thats a mid year style tensioner. the real early style have a resevoir, or cup at the top, the pressure fed tensioners have a boss that projects through the chain housing cover that recieves the oil feed line.
J P Stein
That big hole on the left (last pic) is where the cam passes thru. Lots of seals there. I assume some leak......not mine, tho biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.