Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: KYB rear shocks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nemo914
I replaced my rear shocks with KYB. I know they are not the best, but economical. Problem is the rear of the car seems to sit way too high. With Pedrini alloys and 165 tires, there is probably a good 4 inches from the wheel to the fender. Is this just a KYB thing, or did I screw up somewhere with the instalation? Also, springs are 110lbs.
Lawrence
4 inches sounds quite high - you are right to be concerned.

Look up and make sure that your springs are sitting in the perches properly.

Also, what kind of rear shocks did you replace? Was the bottom spring perch in the same place on each shock?

-Rusty smoke.gif
rhodyguy
have you driven much since the swap? if not go drive for a while and see if things settle in a bit. just pushing the car back and forth won't do the job. do the top of the tires point in or out?

kevin
Nemo914
I will check all these things. Tires/wheels are straight. It is a good solid car, but just annoying to see it sit high. I think the 914 looks better a little lower in back.
rhodyguy
go put 100 mi on it then check again. how much higher corner to corner where the rockers meet the wheel well points.

kevin
Brad Roberts
KYB designed the perch hieght around a set of worn out stock springs.

It will sit this high until you buy a set of Bilsteins with the adjustable perch.

There is a reason why they are cheap.

B
Nemo914
I think I am now in the markey for some Bilsteins! Any recomendations on where to get some without going bankrupt?
Brad Roberts
You should be bale to find them used. I know Andy (local German) picked a set up for free a few weeks back.

Ask around... several people have pulled Bilsteins off to install Koni's lately.

New.. they run 190$ or so for the pair.'

B
JFJ914
Just drive it, they settle.
bernbomb914
I installed shorter 140# spgs. with my KYBs and my car sits low in the back with a slight neg. camber. It looks good and handles very flat.

Bernie driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.