Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mad at myself!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
So, I was out in the garage tonight taking the windshield off.

popped the trim off. No problem. Started cutting the trim out. Going very slow. Being very careful.

But not careful enough. I thought that I had it cut out of the butil tape. I guess it resealed. When I went to break the seal, the windshield cracked.

Dammit! Frusterated, I quit working, came intside and am now telling every one about it. Cause, you know, I know you wanted to know.

Zach
Allan
Yes. We need to know these things. That is a BIG bummer. headbang.gif
914helo
Sorry, I know how that feels. smash.gif I did the same thing about 18 months ago.
SirAndy
yupp, same here ...

cool.gif Andy
markb
Me too. sad.gif
jasons
I cracked mine putting the trim back on.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE (jasons @ Nov 1 2005, 07:54 PM)
I cracked mine putting the trim back on.

Well I was not planning on putting trim back on it. Instead going with the black rubber seals. Looks like the black rubber seals will be going on a new windshield. I'll finish taking it out tomorrow.

At least it seems like I have good company in this snafu.

In good news, I test fit the dash cap to the (very badly cracked) dashboard, and it looked 100% better. Not glued in yet, I fgure that will come after paint and the car is put back together.

Zach
balljoint
smilie_pokal.gif

Me too. While pulling it out. 3/4 of the way there and then, that nasty cracking noise and..... mad.gif
dwillouby
I know how you feel. I cracked a perfect used one installing it and cracked a brand new one removing it to install the damm clips that I forgot.

David
Katmanken
I tried to cut mine out too.

Didn't get very far with that weird hard factory sealer stuff with the heater wire running through it. Factory used transformers or banks of car batteries batteries to heat and soften the sealer (with the heating wire) and a clamp to press the window in...

Tried to cut it out and.... Crack! sad.gif

Need any parts from my windshield? biggrin.gif

Ken
sgomes
For someone about to do this procedure... Is there a way to avoid the "resealing" problem? I can just see myself going around and around cutting and having reseal right behind me.. huh.gif
jasons
QUOTE (Vacca Rabite @ Nov 1 2005, 05:32 PM)
Instead going with the black rubber seals. Looks like the black rubber seals will be going on a new windshield. I'll finish taking it out tomorrow.

Where did you get the seal?
elocke
Me too! Never push with your thumb
mikey
Me too. I hit the windshield with my head taking the dashboard out. Got a sore head and a cracked windshield. blink.gif
Andyrew
cracked mine in storage
balljoint
QUOTE (jasons @ Nov 2 2005, 12:53 AM)

Forget seals.

Sea Lions are much easier to train.

And are much less likely to bite your nose off.

ohmy.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE (jasons @ Nov 1 2005, 11:53 PM)
QUOTE (Vacca Rabite @ Nov 1 2005, 05:32 PM)
Instead going with the black rubber seals.  Looks like the black rubber seals will be going on a new windshield.  I'll finish taking it out tomorrow.

Long way to go before I get the seals...

But there are a bunch of threads on widshiulds and many of them have shops listed that sell the rubber shields. I'm about toi go into a meeting, when I get back I'll look it up if someone doe not beat me to it.

That butyl tape sure is sticky... Its funny, the back window fell right out. Front on, not so much...

Zach
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (balljoint @ Nov 2 2005, 06:48 AM)
QUOTE (jasons @ Nov 2 2005, 12:53 AM)

Forget seals.

Sea Lions are much easier to train.

And are much less likely to bite your nose off.

ohmy.gif

Nice "miles" style comment.... biggrin.gif
balljoint
:honka:

wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.