Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bigger pressure plate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Flat VW
would a bigger pressure plate in the clutch make my tranny smoother?

i have heard it will, but i have been told alot of crazy things...

would it make it smoother out of first? thats really my only concern.
will that make it less bumpy?

would i be able to release my clutch a little faster?

this is shaggy again i was logged on as john and didnt realize it... dry.gif
r_towle
Is your car shaking when you start out off the line?

If so, I would check the following in this order.

Bearings and CV joints on rear end.
Motor and transmission mounts.
Gear oil level.

Then finally if all is good in the previous, you may have burned the pressure plate and or flywheel at some time in its life and it could have some bad spots.

You can either re-surface the flywheel, or get a new one...and while your there, get a new pressure plate. clutch disk, throw out bearing and pilot bearing...

This will give you a nice smooth NEWsetup.

Rich
shaggy
thanks

the clutch was replaced about 4-5 months ago. when i shift i no longer smell burning clutch...i used to when i was still kinda figuring out how to drive the car, but now im good. biggrin.gif
it isnt jerky if i do it right, that is if i rev it up to about 3k or so and let the clutch out slowly as it all comes to speed if i do it any lower it bunces a little as it revs up

my tranny has been leaking so that could be it ill check that soon

im scheduled to drop the engine this weekend so looking at the cv bearings and joints shouldnt be a problem

would a different flywheel make any difference?
would a bigger pressure plate make any difference at all?

if either of those would help is there one that would be recomended?

-shaggy
SLITS
1.) Did you refinish the flywheel when you put the new clutch in?

If you had burn spots from being overagressive on starts or a slipping clutch due to oil, a new friction disk and pressure plate are not going to help much due to the overheated spots on the flywheel. If you look at the flywheel surface it will have blue/black spots or marks on it.

The 2.0 clutch has slighly higher clamping pressure than the 1.7/1.8...approximately 900 lbs vs 1100 lbs as far as I remember.

The main help is using the 6 spring friction disk (early 911) as opposed to the stock 4 spring...the take up is smoother.

davep
You cannot easily put in a bigger PP. 215mm is what fits.
You can put in stronger PP from certain early 911's, but that is usually for more power capacity.
You can put in a 6 spring FD as opposed to the 4 spring, but I doubt you would notice.
You should not have to rev to 3500 to take off.
I think your clutch is dead. Your clutch cable tube may be going also.
Fix the leaks, then fix the clutch. Make sure the machinist working on the flywheel knows how to do it properly, otherwise you will need a new flywheel.
Replace all the small bits while you are in there, and especially the crank/flywheel bolts and washer.
Joe Ricard
Yup when I launch through the timing light I am over 2500 rpm. It usually spins the wheels a little. I don't go to full throttle till the clutch completely hooks and the tires are gripping. 2nd gear is slight lift shift and flat to the floor.
Street is able to move car 1500 RPM or less clutch is quickly and smoothly let out.

When I swapped out my trans axle a few months ago I looked at the clutch. Nearly new!!!! 6 spring FD sachs regular PP. 1960 lb car on Hoosiers.

1st rule driving my car ... clutch is either IN or OUT. DON'T ride it man!!!!!!

You got sumpin wrong there buddy.
shaggy
i dont ride the clutch at all i know thats bad

it dosent spin the wheels at all 2500

i can move it out at 1500 but its kinda bumpy

i dont know if the flywheel was refinished

now i have a stock one on my 1.7
is there a better one i could get? (flywheel)
could i find a 6 spring pressure plate thatll fit?
SLITS
friction disk is either 4 or six spring

Pressure plate is the same except for heavier springs in the 2.0.

I may have a couple of used ones.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.