Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Power Rear Window
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Buckeye '73
So there's this lady in the same building as me right.

And she's one of these "the would bows to me types". She's got a 350Z and yesterday (because it was nice and we both had topless convertables in the parking lot) we start talking about convertables. Turns out that her cars better than mine because it's aerodynamically designed to keep the air off of her. (Which isn't suprising because everything she has is better than everyone elses.... ar15.gif )

Meanwhile, the back of my neck still has frostbite on it and I get to thinking. What if I could retract the rear window? Viola no more deflected air!

Anybody ever tried it?

Theoritically possible?

Bryce
GWN7
Anything is possible with enough time and money biggrin.gif
Mueller
bad idea for a few reasons.....

it's loud, no matter what kind of engine you have (an electric motor does not count smile.gif )

you'll get more gas fumes coming into the cabin....

it's loud smile.gif

I just re-installed my rear window on Sunday, just the few times I've driven it that way it was too loud...cannot remember if the wind was an issue or not, but I wouldn't do it again....

knock yourself out smash.gif
Dave_Darling
I don't think there's room for the window to slide down along the firewall. The curves in the wall would make that kinda problematical.

And I will second what Mueller said. FUCKIN LOUD!!! My ears rang for a couple of days after driving to work and back with no rear window. (It was while I was replacing the window seal.)

--DD
STL914
I seem to recall a thread on this same idea a couple of years ago on one of the 914 web sites, not sure which one though.

One of the ideas was to use the rear window from a Honda Del Sol. The overall consensus was that due to the cost to fabricate the framework required to mount the window, the limited amount of available space in the 914 driver's compartment, and the high noise levels from the engine that sits just behind you, that it was not very practicle.

But like Bruce says, with enough time and money, anything is possible.
SirAndy
maybe you should think up something else to impress the lady ...

idea.gif Andy
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Dave_Darling @ Nov 1 2005, 06:17 PM)
I don't think there's room for the window to slide down along the firewall. The curves in the wall would make that kinda problematical.

And I will second what Mueller said. FUCKIN LOUD!!! My ears rang for a couple of days after driving to work and back with no rear window. (It was while I was replacing the window seal.)

--DD

Window seal? The Cap'n
Garland
I look at that idea, and you would have to cut into the body at the b-piller in order to lower the glass. A worm gear and window regulator and motor would fit if you run a 4.
markb
Besides, if you adjust the side window down a little, the wind doesn't go down the back of your neck. wink.gif
porschecb
I do not know what shape your car is in but a rear sliding window would be the last, the last thing I would ever think about doing!!!!!!!!!!! wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif Find something else to spend your money on! confused24.gif
aircooledboy
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I went as far as to pick up a mechanism from a limo to tinker around with this idea a while back. Then I read a thread about somebody or other who drove without their backglass a few times and said it was wicked loud. idea.gif sad.gif Piss, hadn't thought of that.

The whole shebang now serves as a very nice mouse resort in one of my barns. monkeydance.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 1 2005, 06:32 PM)
Window seal?

Yeah, the adhesive had failed along the bottom of the window, so the sum'bitch was rattling. The butyl adhesive (factory stuff, BTW, complete with the wires in it!) was the "seal" to which I was referring.

tongue.gif

--DD
Allan
Listen to Mike, Dave and all the rest.....

NOISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALOT OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
davep
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Nov 1 2005, 06:19 PM)
maybe you should think up something else to impress the lady ...

idea.gif Andy

Yeah, like ask her which car will be worth more in 30 years.
neo914-6
For neo914-6:
-I just won a del sol mechanism
-I will have alot of space at the firewall with the Audi 2.7 tt
-my engine doesn't need air cooling so I will seal the lid
-the width will be slightly shortened for tracks
-I think it will give a greater sense of open air motoring
-and I will want to hear the turbos... biggrin.gif
GeorgeRud
Besides, don't all the new cabriolets have a glass "windblocker" to prevent excessive wind noise and buffeting? Seems the 914 was quite ahead of it's time in that function.
sgomes
QUOTE (Mueller @ Nov 1 2005, 06:13 PM)
it's loud, no matter what kind of engine you have (an electric motor does not count smile.gif )

idea.gif
Jeroen
QUOTE (GeorgeRud @ Nov 2 2005, 05:18 AM)
Besides, don't all the new cabriolets have a glass "windblocker" to prevent excessive wind noise and buffeting? Seems the 914 was quite ahead of it's time in that function.

exactly!
Elliot_Cannon
I thought the whole idea of going with the top down was so you can feel the wind in your hair. I haven't had my roof on in 8 months. I've driven in the rain with the roof off and like the man said, "you only get wet when you stop".
Cheers, Elliot
rhodyguy
you could tell her that her Datsun looks like crap with the top up. check with her on the cost to drive, payment+insurance, a year, and when does she get out of her lease?

k
ehick72
I know the 350z's are very aerodynamic. Most of the lack of wind comes from the shape front of the car and windshield. Not the openess in the back. I don't know if not having a rear window would benefit considering most convertibles require a wind spoiler to cut down on the wind. The 914 has one already bilt it. I would venter to say the wind is worse with no rear window because of the way the wind comes back at you after it gets past the windshield. Thats why riding in the backseat of a convertible is about the worse form travel. Convertibles will always blow your hair around and I seriously doubt she doesn't get her hair blown. You should wait til she gets back from a windy drive and see if she needs a brush or is wearing a hat.

Trekkor
When I replaced my rear window I really enjoyed driving with it out. I like the LOUD.

I was the megephone guy, remember. wink.gif

I didn't notice any gas smells confused24.gif

KT
mightyohm
The 914 definitely has a problem with wind hitting the rear window and then hitting you in the back of the head. Drive a 914 and then drive a 911 targa - you'll notice the HUGE difference in wind force exerted on you because the wind has somewhere to go on the 911. A removable/lowerable window 914 would be cool. biggrin.gif
Buckeye '73
QUOTE (markb @ Nov 1 2005, 07:02 PM)
Besides, if you adjust the side window down a little, the wind doesn't go down the back of your neck.  ;)

Good News...

It works!!

Bad News...

I just did 1700 miles with "chilled" wind slapping on my pregnant wife in the neck (because I "had to have the top down"). I told my wife about the quick fix and now it's my fault for not having known this earlier..... wacko.gif
maf914
QUOTE (markb @ Nov 1 2005, 07:02 PM)
Besides, if you adjust the side window down a little, the wind doesn't go down the back of your neck.  ;)

agree.gif

When it's cool or cold and I drive without the roof and the door glass completely up, I noticed that you can reduce the buffeting if you lower the window an inch or two. It's as if this allows some air to curl around the rear glass and fill the cockpit. But this only works on one side. For example, you lower the drivers side window a bit and the tubulence drops for the driver, but the wind beats the passenger. Lower both side windows and you both get beat. Leave the driver side glass up and lower the passenger side and the passenger gets less buffeting, but the driver gets more. So I only do this when I'm driving alone. laugh.gif

How much does driver height or seating height affect the buffeting situation? I figure the lower you sit the less buffeting you should get. idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.