Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tips for winter storage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jdijoe
Hello folks, about to put her away for the winter and wanted to know if you have any tips. Unheated storage, but dry of course on a cement pad. Thanks for your help. Joe
URY914
Second time this has been asked this week.

My answer is to ship it to me here in Florida and I'll drive all winter for you. biggrin.gif

I'll change the oil when I'm done.
SLITS
Why send it to the humid rust belt of Southeastern US..it'll rust like crazy....

Send it to me in "rust free" California and we'll part it out..

1.) Change oil and filter

2.) Put "water absorbent" additive in fuel

3.) Change radiator coolant

4.) Start it and warm engine a couple of times per month

5.) Put car on blocks so tires don't "flat spot" from sitting

6.) Put a good coat of wax on paint

7.) Wrap it and yourself with an electric blanket and snuggle....neither of you will feel lonely.
pfierb
The worst thing you can do for a car in winter storage is to start it and warm it up a couple of times a months all you accomplish is to create a lot of condensation in the crankcase and exhaust system......if you are not going to drive it for 10 miles just leave it in a cold dry place the colder the better.....Remember the WWII p-38s found incased in ice for years in almost perfect mechanical condition except for crash damage.

Paul F.
Tobra
Get a pair of dinner plates, one with rice, one with either baking soda or activated charcoal(Like aquarium filters use)

Put a plate on each floor board, rice absorbs moisture, the other absorbs funky smells.

Stabil(fuel stabilizer) in the tank, a full tank is less likely to rust. Run the car enough that the stuff is all through the fuel system.

Car on stands, in neutral with parking brake disengaged, ground disconnected at battery. Some say drain the oil prior to storage, which I tend to agree with.

If you are really compulsive, you can turn it over by hand every few weeks.

In the spring, bleed the brakes, change the oil(or put some in), put air in tires and connect battery.
balljoint
Do not think about the Ti-Cat season while you are anywhere near the car. Saltwater in tears will rust that thing in a heartbeat.

Oskee wee wee
jdijoe
Thanks Gentleman, humour is always the best medicine!! Tips have been noted and I will apply as required..hey how did you know I was a Ti-Cat fan? Hate to put her away but need the garage space...jdijoe
reverie
Not so sure about the "rice as dessicant" idea.. that might attract unwanted visitors.. pests, vermin, little critters.

Calcium Chloride granules are available at most hardware stores. Get a gallon of it for less than $10 US, and put half of it in one bucket, and half in another bucket, and put the buckets on the floorboards. Over time, the CaCl granules will absorb moisture and turn to liquid, so eventually you'll have ~ 1/2 gallon of liquid in each bucket, and then you flush the liquid down the toilet and put in fresh granules.
balljoint
QUOTE (jdijoe @ Nov 3 2005, 12:22 AM)
..hey how did you know I was a Ti-Cat fan?

You don't have to be a CFL fan in Hamilton...but it helps. I am from Milton, long time Ti-Cats fan.

"ARGOS SUCK"

But not you Pinball
Tobra
I have never really lived someplace where the weather is crappy long enough to decommission the car for winter. Never had problems with varmints, though I guess if it parked with the windows down...plenty of commercial dessicants out there

ejm
Mice can do more damage faster than anything else...they use the wheels to climb up into the car so I set a block of poison bait on each one...fill the fuel tank and over inflate the tires...it's only a coupla three of months...most cars sat longer on the dealers lot when new
Mark Henry
QUOTE (Tobra @ Nov 3 2005, 08:23 PM)
...plenty of commercial dessicants out there

Clumping cat litter is a good dessicant.

Leave the oil in...spray in some engine storage spray if it's long term.

Stabil in a full tank is correct.

On the tires is Ok for short term...if you do use jackstands keep the suspension loaded.

The worst thing you can do for a car in winter storage is to start it and warm it up a couple of times a months all you accomplish is to create a lot of condensation in the crankcase and exhaust system

agree.gif

Calcium Chloride.....then you flush the liquid down the toilet and put in fresh granules.

I don't know how good this is for the enviroment...I'm for sure NOT going to try that on my septic system.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.