Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Road trip
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scottz0369
I drove from San Jose to 29 Palms, Ca on Sunday--
The '72 made it without much drama. I got about 28mpg cruising at 75-80 the whole way (1.7l with dual 40idf Webers). The car ran great with just a bit of valve clatter coming up the Grapevine in 4th. The Odometer (both trip and total) started working intermittently about halfway there, and I noticed the speedo needle bounces quite a bit at low speeds--is this a cable issue?
Also, the dreaded "hot start" issue reared it's ugly head--after about 100 miles, I had to stop for a break--the car wouldn't start--no click, no starter turning, nothing. So I had a cup of coffee, came back in a half hour, and it started right up. The second time was just south of Magic Mountain--this time it sat for almost 2 hours, and still didn't start. I push started it in a really small parking lot. I left it running the rest of the way to 29 Palms. I think I need to get the Bosch hot start kit unless someone else has any ideas of the cause.

Other than that, it was a great drive, and more comfortable than I expected.

I found my digtial camera, so hopefully I'll be able to post some pics soon!

Scott
SirAndy
QUOTE (scottz0369 @ Nov 1 2005, 08:55 PM)
I think I need to get the Bosch hot start kit unless someone else has any ideas of the cause.

waste of money. get a new starter now, as this one is about to die ...

glad you made it OK!
smilie_pokal.gif Andy
porsha916
First check your wiring connections and clean them all! Then go to walmart or auto parts store and buy a 6 gauge wire or heaver and run the wire from the battery ground to the starter flange(clean it with a wire brush or sandpaper first). Also clean your trans ground! You can also put a thin gasket between the starter and the trans to cut down heat transfer, but you will need the ground!
Take Care
Bill
Flat VW
I really do wonder how many "hot start kits" have been installed on teeners that did not need it.

That is to say, that , there were other electrical connection issues that when corrected make the HSK, unneeded.{is that a word?}

I also wonder how many "vaporlock problems" are also actually some other problem.
John

P.S. I have one in the first car I bought, the 75' (footer for Joe O pissoff.gif) car, as directed, to be installed by me. screwy.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE (porsha916 @ Nov 1 2005, 09:47 PM)
First check your wiring connections and clean them all! Then go to walmart or auto parts store and buy a 6 gauge wire or heaver and run the wire from the battery ground to the starter flange(clean it with a wire brush or sandpaper first). Also clean your trans ground! You can also put a thin gasket between the starter and the trans to cut down heat transfer, but you will need the ground!
Take Care
Bill

Bill, I am looking at your signature and thinking you should get a couple more 914's. idea.gif laugh.gif

If your ever in the Marysville area, look me up. boldblue.gif
dlo914
hehe...Bill wink.gif been meaning to call you up about the progress of the engine. I might as well tell you here. It's in the car, everything is hooked up, it'll crank over, but im not getting it to fire up. Were the fuel injectors good to begin with? And what's the condition of the alternator? i replaced it w/ mines. Oh and what's the condition on the distributor?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.