Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cool pics of tow car!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brant
So a friend of mine that lives in New Mexico is one of the good guys. I don't think he is on the board regularly, but maybe this thread will pull him out of lurker status. He has been into 914's for probably 20 years and has a few. You might recognize his name from Pano advertisements and he runs a small shop doing porsche repairs and projects for folk.

Anyways, I love this picture.
Its real!
and it proves his enthusiasm!
I'll put some of the quoted text from his email too:

" here's a new take on going to the races, tow the RV and toys wiht the race car. I doub't that you saw this at the club races."

"Its like towing a drag chute abouve 70 mph, but remarkably stable to drive. We encountered a 35mph headwind on the way home that was a real drag, but going to La junta we generally were able to do 65 to 70 mph and close to 20 mpg in 4th gear. Coming home it was about 15 mpg and a tough tow at 55 in third You can post in on the club if you'd like. "
brant
another:
brant
and another:
GaroldShaffer
can you get some detail pics of how the hitch is installed? I want to do something like this for a small AX trailer. I have a few details of this setup but I am open to other options.

Edit - this is not my car
GaroldShaffer
one more
TROJANMAN
i didn't believe yu when you told me brant, but seeing is believing. ohmy.gif

and that's only a 2.0. wow!
Root_Werks
That is pretty cool. I always admire the people that drive thier cars to track events, track them and then drive home. It's what the cars where built to do. Sweet hitch! laugh.gif
TROJANMAN
another pick of the hitch
Ferg
"The Camping Porsche" smile.gif
Gustl
I'd say these two pics fit perfectly to this thread biggrin.gif

user posted image

user posted image

this is a 1.7 from Swizerland
the owner went across the alps to bring his little boad to the mediterranean sea
parts of the tour lead him over 6,300 ft blink.gif
VaccaRabite
Back in the 1970s (and earlier) it was common place for cars to tow things. Course, it was also commonplace to drive 55 and not have someone shoot at you. smile.gif

I don't know that I would want to pull boats with a 914, though. Getting it in the water might not be a problem, but getting it out again...

Zach
Series9
Who is that? and where is he?

TurtleGirl and I are so alone down here.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE (914RS @ Nov 2 2005, 11:11 AM)
Who is that? and where is he?

TurtleGirl and I are so alone down here.

joe,
i think the guy's name is Gary Smith. here is what brant had to say about him in another post

"Gary I think lives in Edmundo?
Is that the spelling?
I've been to his house once, halfway between taos/santa fe."

nice guy.. smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Nov 2 2005, 12:17 PM)
i think the guy's name is Gary Smith.

agree.gif talked to him through email a few times, great guy!

hey joe, he's in Embudo, i saw his car parked when we drove back from taos, didn't have time to stop and chat because i was in a hurry to get to your place for beers!

beerchug.gif Andy
Flat VW
Our 75' car has a hitch installed by the po (more than 20 years ago).

I always wondered what the heck a person would possibly pull with it, now , I guess, I know. screwy.gif

John
Series9
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Nov 2 2005, 12:44 PM)
Our 75' car has a hitch installed by the po

You have a 75 foot car? wacko.gif cool.gif
Series9
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Nov 2 2005, 12:31 PM)
QUOTE (TROJANMAN @ Nov 2 2005, 12:17 PM)
i think the guy's name is Gary Smith.

agree.gif talked to him through email a few times, great guy!

hey joe, he's in Embudo, i saw his car parked when we drove back from taos, didn't have time to stop and chat because i was in a hurry to get to your place for beers!

beerchug.gif Andy

OK. I remeber that. We'll have to lure him down with free beer. beerchug.gif
Flat VW
QUOTE (914RS @ Nov 2 2005, 11:56 AM)
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Nov 2 2005, 12:44 PM)
Our 75' car has a hitch installed by the po

You have a 75 foot car? wacko.gif cool.gif

There's one in every crowd...... lol2.gif

John
GaroldShaffer
john could you post a picture or two of how it is mounted to the car?

On a side note I looked in my parts stash and I don't have a door handle, sorry. sad.gif
JeffBowlsby
Here are some pics of a hitch install:

JeffBowlsby
biggrin.gif
JeffBowlsby
ohmy.gif
JeffBowlsby
laugh.gif
JeffBowlsby
dry.gif
JeffBowlsby
cool.gif
GaroldShaffer
Thanks Jeff, I have those in a thread I posted last year. I really like the hidden hitch like Randy's car, just looking for other opitions also. sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
BMartin914
I was wondering what that hitch was for.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.