Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shorter ring and pinion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bam914
I thought that there were two other final drives for the 901 trans a taller then stock and a shorter one. If there is a shorter one does anyone know what the ratio is?

Thanks
Blake Meredith
new 914 project
Dave_Darling
If there is a different one, it would be for the Sportomatic transmission, I believe. I don't think any of the regular ones have anything but 7:31, and the Sportos may even have had it as well.

--DD
Aaron Cox
i know there is a shorter one. also, custom taller ones have been made.
TimT
yes other r/p sets exist, the sporto is a big source, rare and unobtanioum are the others.

Its easier and cheaper usually to change gears to suit rather than change the r/p and still have the same rpm drops between gears.

Ive been living in a hotel room for the last 2 months, and dont have ready access to my manuals. they are 360 miles away as I type.

You can keep your existng ring and pinion, and shuffle one or two of your exisitng gears, and then source one gearset to make a nice box..

why do you want to change the ring and pinion?
Bleyseng
QUOTE (TimT @ Nov 2 2005, 07:18 PM)
yes other r/p sets exist, the sporto is a big source, rare and unobtanioum are the others.

Its easier and cheaper usually to change gears to suit rather than change the r/p and still have the same rpm drops between gears.

Ive been living in a hotel room for the last 2 months, and dont have ready access to my manuals. they are 360 miles away as I type.

You can keep your existng ring and pinion, and shuffle one or two of your exisitng gears, and then source one gearset to make a nice box..

why do you want to change the ring and pinion?

Yep, the other r&p's were mostly used in race boxes so they are made of unobtaininum. agree.gif
bam914
I know about moving and fliping gears but the class I am going to run only allows a final drive change. I might not need one but was just wondering what was out there.

Thanks
Blake Meredith
brant
Blake,

yes.
Is it a PCA production class?
I know some PCA production 914's in colorado (2 that I know of)
that have a different R/P because of the rules.

I think its the 6:29 you want, but I'm going from memory here.

it will be legal in PCA, and drop all of your gearing.

not cheap.
I almost purchased one once, and chickened out.
count your installation cost too... probably 500 at a lot of shops.

brant
ChrisFoley
I still have the 6:29 that I bought from Carquip 10 years ago.
bam914
I knew there was one. I just could not remember what it was. Chris if do not need the R&P let me know I might be interested. I am in the process of building an ITC 914. Although I do not have a car yet.

Thanks
Blake Meredith
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (bam914 @ Nov 3 2005, 12:23 PM)
I am in the process of building an ITC 914. Although I do not have a car yet.

wacko.gif laugh.gif

I have been saving the R&P for a future IT project for myself but maybe its time for me to move on. PM me if you want it.
Matt Monson
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Nov 3 2005, 04:18 AM)
I still have the 6:29 that I bought from Carquip 10 years ago.

Have it in your car or have in in your garage? We do still have one of those here at Carquip. It is a NOS unit, and it is far from cheap...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.