Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toon1
what are the leak down rates I shoud see on a 1.7 compression check? Motor is on a stand and cold. I am turning over by hand and currently getting approx 50 psi.
McMark
Leak down and compression are two different tests. Compression numbers should be around 100-150, but that's using a starter to turn the motor. Turning it by hand is ineffective.
SirAndy
QUOTE (McMark @ Nov 2 2005, 07:34 PM)
Leak down and compression are two different tests. Compression numbers should be around 100-150, but that's using a starter to turn the motor. Turning it by hand is ineffective.

agree.gif anything under 100 is not good.
also, more important than really high numbers is having all 4 cylinders being close to equal ...

i had 3 at around 160 and one way off, guess which one crapped out on me ...
sad.gif Andy
toon1
I will put the starter on this w/e, I am trying to get a rough estimate. How is the leak down rate test performed?
McMark
Leak down rate requires a special guage. It threads into the spark plug location, you put that cylinder at TDC and pump air into it. The rate at which it leaks down is the reading. You can also listen to see where the air is leaking down. Noise from the intake would indicate a bad intake valve seal, noise from the exhaust would be an exhaust valve, and noise at the oil filler would be rings.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.