Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is Tirerack.com still the best
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kerrys914
I need some tires here in PA

205/55/16 and 225/50/16 for my street teener.

drew365
I don't know if they're the best for your tires but I use them to buy all my track Hoosiers. Good service and pricing, I've never had a problem with them.
SGB
you might also wanna try VulcanTires.com. I just got some Kumhos ohmy.gif from them
BIGKAT_83
I've had good luck with these people on 3 set of tires edge racing Be sure and check the total cost with shipping. Edge was about half price on the shipping vs Tirerack

Bob ohmy.gif
Cano
I had a great experience with Discount Tire. They were $1 more expensive than Tire Rack for the same tire, but at the time they had a free shipping deal going on that saved me about $40. Quick shipping, too.
Root_Werks
Discount Tire Stores in WA will match tirerack prices (Shipped of course). I just got a set of AVS Sports for I think $2 more a tire than tirerack shipped. But I bought them locally so that is nice.
Trevorg7
Tirerack has been great for me. Tires for my 914, 5 series, and my Suburban. Drop shipped to an installer within a day or two.

Pleased three times over.

T
Series9
I have been purchasing all my tires from Tire Rack for over ten years.

That should show how I feel about it.
Graphikhaus
I have purchased tires and winter tire/wheel combos from Tire Rack and the experience has always been great.

They were able to answer my questions even when I was trying go with a winter tire/wheels combo that was meant for a larger vehicle. They arrived perfectly inflated, each tire/wheel strapped between protective cardboard discs - with "tall" lug nuts in a bag inside.

I swapped them out and went and got them balanced.

Done.

"Doc" is the guy to call @ 888-541-1777, ext. 665

smilie_pokal.gif
iamchappy
Only drawback I see is they dont carry Toyo's, I have purchased 3 sets of tires from them, all was good.
Kerrys914
Okay they don't have my size (205/55/16) in the KUHMO 711's
They have 205/50/16 but they will be .8" shorter then the 225/50/16's..This might look funny..What do you think

OR will these work
My car is flared
I have Fuchs 16x6 (front) with 21mm spaces
I have Fuchs 16x7 (rear) with 21mm spacers

Can I run 215/55's on 6" rims and 245/50's on 7" rims?
JmuRiz
I wouldn't run that wide a tire (215) on the 16x6. The sidewall on my 206 looks like it's about the max tire width on mine.
If the budget allows for it put the 225 on 7" on the front and get some 8" for the back biggrin.gif
What kind of brakes do you have on the front on the conversion?
The 50 series look good BTW, mine have the 55 series (closest to stock and is great for the speedo) and it looks a little 'jacked up' compared to the others. For a racy look and squirt off the corners go with the 50s for a street car that does some highway stuff, get the 55s.

Nathan
PS: Check out the pics of my car from the event up there if you want to see how 55 series 205 wide tires on 16x6 fuchs look.
Kerrys914
Thanks.. the 711 tires are a good price for the tire you get.

I may need to go 205/50/16 front and 225/50/16 rear. This will put about .8" lower in the front.

Doesn't seem like to much.
Spoke
I ordered my tires through Tirerack.com, sorta. Found tires that I wanted on Tirerack and went
to my local NTB store (National Tire & Battery) to see if they would have any issues mounting and balancing
the tires. No problem, they said. They inquired where I was getting them from and mentioned that
for $10 a tire more, they would sell me the same tires.

Hmm, lets see, shipping to my house from Tirerack was $30+ and NTB getting the same tires was $40.
So NTB ordered the tires, and I had them mount and balance them. I like NTB because you can get
the lifetime rotate and balance for tires. Plus they allow you to hang out in the garage area which is
good when they work on my 914.

Spoke
JmuRiz
The difference should be only about 10mm diameter on the tires, shouldn't be too bad. Do you have your heart set on the Kumho 711s? I have Yoko ES100s and they seem fine to me, for a street-tire.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (JmuRiz @ Nov 4 2005, 01:22 PM)
The difference should be only about 10mm diameter on the tires, shouldn't be too bad. Do you have your heart set on the Kumho 711s? I have Yoko ES100s and they seem fine to me, for a street-tire.

i have ES100 as street tires and love em agree.gif
Root_Werks
Those 711's have a tread wear of over 300 I think, even the 712's are 280 or so. That is some pretty hard compound. I had a set of 711's on my wifes 944, hated them, they never warmed up. Always rock hard and slippery. I got a set of 712's next, better, but they still suck.

Right now I am running AVS Sports with a TW180, decent for street tires. Another good tire would be the RA1 TW100. But you won't get a ton of miles out of those. Maybe 20k or so. The AVS Sports will last 40k driven occasionally hard. driving.gif
Andyrew
why not 225's all around?.

btw kumho 711's are fine for the street, but they are just a street tire... Not very sticky.

Had them on my 4 and it was just fine, I couldnt get to the limits of the tires on the street. On my v8 it was another story... Just didnt give me much stick.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.