Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Backfires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EJP914
Mechanic told me today that he thinks part of my backfire problem when backing off the gas could be the new Bursch exhaust sytem I just installed. He thinks it may be too restrictive. Does this sound right to anyone? Old system on the car was a "no name" extractor with little glass pack muffler. No backfire problems with it.
We did find on the left side of the engine one the heat exchanger pipes did not fit tight to the head. Lots of black soot there. I think this is also contributing to the backfire problem. This exhaust thing is a head scratcher or maybe it's just BS. Appreciate the comments!
MecGen
Hey
If you say that the back fire started with the exhaust swap, I would have to say you have a leak somewhere...
Why would he suspect its too restrictive, maybe he having problems getting the exhaust to seal properly...
Bursch systems have been around a long time.

Maybe when durring the exhaust work, a studd got pulled, happens all the time

good luck
later

beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (EJP914 @ Nov 2 2005, 07:56 PM)
Mechanic told me today that he thinks part of my backfire problem when backing off the gas could be the new Bursch exhaust sytem I just installed. He thinks it may be too restrictive.

tell your mechanic to get a new job ...

the Bursch is certainly less restrictive than a stock exhaust. having said that, if you just installed the bursch, you most likely got a exhaust leak which is causing your off-throttle backfires.
did you install new muffler gaskets? check for exhaust leaks around the header/muffler connection ...
wink.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.