Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT-Racing fiberglass parts...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jeroen
Does anyone have experiences with GT-Racing's f/g parts?

There's a shop here that is importing their stuff at decent prices and it would be quite a bit cheaper to buy from them than to import it myself

So, is there anybody out there with real world experience on the GT-Racing parts?
I'm looking to buy hoods, bumpers and rockers

If the quality sucks, I'll shop elsewhere...

Thanks!
URY914
From what I hear the quality is top notch.
jonwatts
Jeroen, didn't you already buy some fiberglass (rennspeed?) and have it shipped to you? Are you looking for more pieces or going in another direction?
brant
I've only bought one or two items.
I personally like Hank (GT) because he is local to me.
I know him and he is a good guy.
he sponsors our races and is friendly and pleasant too.

I've heard good and bad from different people about quality. I think Joe (rs) was disappointed with the CF hoods.

but others have had good experiences.
I have always had good experiences.

brant
Jeroen
Jon, yes, I bought flared fenders from Rennspeed
But shipping was about as much as the parts
I got them there, because they were one of the few shops that had 'em and could ship them "reasonable"

With the hoods and bumpers, I've got more options
I could also get those in Germany

But this new shop is only 40 miles away, so if the quality is good, I'll get them there
Series9
Good customer service, bad parts. I sold every piece I got from them to replace with Getty parts.
URY914
QUOTE (URY914 @ Nov 3 2005, 08:33 AM)
From what I hear the quality is top notch.

OK, I take the above comment back. confused24.gif
blabla914
I bought a FG rear lid from him a while ago. Fit and finish were acceptable to my standards. Joe, what didn't you like about the parts? Was it related to them being carbon, or did they just not fit?

Kelly
brant
I bought bumpers that were top notch...

so don't know what to say.

possibly the CF isn't as good?
hard to draw conclusions.

brant
Series9
I've seen good stuff in the past, but every part I got (both FG and CF) were way below my standards.
Matt Monson
We've sold GT's stuff through our shop for years, and never had a complaint. People with a problem with a part are 10 times more likely to give you feedback than a happy customer, so I think we show a pretty good record with his stuff. I've got a '77 911 here with all GT parts on it for 993 conversion. The door gaps and bumper gaps and whatnot are probably tighter than factory...
Jeroen
QUOTE (914RS @ Nov 3 2005, 06:02 PM)
Good customer service, bad parts. I sold every piece I got from them to replace with Getty parts.

what was wrong with the parts you got?
TimT
Ive put GT racing glass and Carbon on a few cars, all are racecars or dedicated track cars. The GT planels are fine for this sort of application. For a show type street car Id stick with steel. The GT Racing, Getty, Rennspeed, AIR, Shaw and others will start to show the weave through the gel coat eventually (most carbon doesnt have gel coat)

Even with the high end glass parts (GT,Getty) you usually have to "fit" the parts to some extent.

Also the color you paint the car makes a difference with composite panels. darker colors will show the weave sooner ( if not immediately)

Ill continue to buy GT Racing parts in the future, My last choice for composites would be AIR.
carr914
Dealt with them a few times. I was pleased with all the items except the rockers. I can't remember how much I had into them to fit and then I chucked them cuz they were so bad

T.C.
McMark
I've seen Joe's old CF lids. And I agree, very low quality. The frames are glued/epoxy/resin to the skins and there are gaps and other poor fitment issues. They'd make fine 20 footers. It was also made with the random strand fiberglass (can't think of the technical name right now) instead of a fiberglass weave. Easier to produce, but less structural.
blabla914
I'd agree that the fit between the inner structure and the skin on my rear deck lid leaves something to be desired. I haven't seen Getty parts so I can't give you a one for one comparison there. If you are looking for panels that will be hard to tell they are FG when you open them, you will be dissapointed.

Kelly
campbellcj
I have front + rear f/g bumpers from GT and the rear was supposedly from a fresh mold and was extremely nice quality, whereas the front was certainly acceptable but not as precise/clean. Both required some fab work and trimming to fit, but I have not heard of any f/g or c/f panels that don't... In my limited experience customer service and shipping were awesome too.
pete-stevers
I have both front and rear gt bumpers on my car they required a fair bit of work to get them to fit right, but what can be expected from glass...I would buy them again...and Hank is a good guy to deal with, I found he shipped a wrong lower valance, he shipped the correct one up to Canada before getting the old one back...
HotRod
I bought some 74 up RSR fglass body parts from GT for a 911 a few years back, first rate stuff...way better than other stuff I've gotten from other places.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.