Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tow hooks... racers, show me yours
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jeroen
can the racer crowd post some pics of their towhooks
I'm specially interested where and how you mounted them
So, where you mounted them on the chassis, if you made reinforcements, etc...
Rough_Rider
Have been meaning to do this myself, so no experience but here's some pic's i've been using for reference.
Rough_Rider
another
Rough_Rider
nuther
JmuRiz
Contact 1973914, he has a great setup, high-mounted tow hooks, so they can still pull you out if you are dug into the sand traps.
Jeroen
icon_bump.gif

anyone else?
Howard
Pretty low tech here. Same front and rear. Front goes in fog lite grille opening, rear required a cut in bumper (fiberglass).

Howard
rear bumper cutout
Here are my two tow hooks - tied directly to roll cage. In both cases are c-channel with a piece of flat stock to form the balnk, with 1" pipe to form the hole. Welded directly to roll cage. Looks heavy but they are not.
rear
you can see it coming through the hood in this shot - i like the look and it works really well

Racing916
1973914 ,

Sorry to change the subject, but That car looks great, what a nice clean race car. Great job! smilie_pokal.gif

By the way is that Watkins Glen in the background of your last pic?
Thanks very much. 2.5 Six is going in very very soon! Yeah that is the Glen - great track.

Racing916
That is awesome let me know when you are up there again, I often do a few DE up there a year!! You are going to love a 6 on those straightaways!
JmuRiz
QUOTE (1973914 @ Nov 4 2005, 05:48 AM)
Thanks very much.  2.5 Six is going in very very soon!  Yeah that is the Glen - great track.

How soon? We'll have a race...see if you can get that 2.5 in the car before I design and build a garage this spring, haha.

Seriously though, you should see this car in person though, VERY nice!
ok starting to blush now - more cowbell, er, Tow Hooks please.
Jeroen
thanks all for postin' yer pics!
URY914
http://images.google.com/images?q=racing+t...en&lr=&safe=off

Some good ideas here... biggrin.gif
brant
On the rear we went with stock screw in.
It was lighter to use this factory reinforced area, than to reinforce another location on our own.

we beefed up the hook itself, because I hear about stock cast ones snapping.

I didn't want to add much weight for something that doesn't make the car faster.

This is homemade out of a piece of rod, and then we cut threads on the end of it to screw into the chassis:
URY914
QUOTE (brant @ Nov 4 2005, 08:49 AM)
I didn't want to add much weight for something that doesn't make the car faster.

OMG, that statement is like music to my ears... wub.gif

It discribes my life's work! laugh.gif
brant
QUOTE (URY914 @ Nov 4 2005, 10:44 AM)
QUOTE (brant @ Nov 4 2005, 08:49 AM)

OMG, that statement is like music to my ears... wub.gif

It discribes my life's work! laugh.gif

Paul...
I totally agree with you!
we will never match your weight... but I'm very happy with our own weight at 1850 wet (19qts oil, 4 gallons gas, all metal body panels, and a big fat -6)
URY914
Brant,

Rule #1. If it doesn't make it go, stop, or turn, it gets cut off.

Rule #2. See rule #1.

Paul beerchug.gif
Paul you are a sawzall addict!!! sawzall-smiley.gif

Next time you should just start out with a tube frame biggrin.gif
TJB/914
Hey Guys,

I just wanted to point out something on my car. It's a tow bar that weighs about 15#'s. It's bolted on with (11) bolts into the front trunk metal. Very sturdy and can be used to move your 914 around. Dont' need to call AAA, just call the wife with her SUV. I know it's not for everyone, but I like it. My car is so low it protects me when I go over curbs, etc & I can tow it on long hauls.

Tom
If anyone is interested I can get the dimensions for you (see pic).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.