Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Struts Should I Buy?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
I really hate to skimp on struts given the difference they've made in my 911, but $80 vs $400 for the front struts makes me ask the question - are the Koni's worth the extra money? Bilstein's for $140 each are probably a more economical option?
Britain Smith
The KYB's suck IMO.

The Koni's are great if you have a nice budget and are AX'ing.

I have the Bilsteins and they work perfectly. I drive my car to work everyday and AX on the weekends. I also have 140lb rear springs...

-Britain
tracks914
How much do you want to spend?
Do you want to fit into the "cheap 914 owners" club or do the car some justice? laugh.gif
What can you afford?
bd1308
please, don't get KYBs....I have them thanks to the spendy PO, and I lose teeth everytime i drive my car. You can feel EVERY groove in the road.

Get Koni's trust me its worth the $200
SGB
Bilsteins very good, In fact, I don't really know how they could be surpassed by the Konis. My Bilsteins have great control, firm with complience, terrific rebound action, I think the adjustable Konis might be better if you AX a street car, but I think you would have to be a pretty good driver to need (or be able to use to advantage) a temporary adjustment to AX your car.
Aaron Cox
street car. BILSTEINS
Semi STreet Car BILs
AX car Bills or Koni's
sean_v8_914
K ill
Y our
B ack
double-a
adjustable konis, you won't be disappointed. and what's more, your 914 deserves good shocks.

~a
reverie
Depends what you'll be doing with the car.

For normal street driving and weekend cruising, Boge's are fine.
GaroldShaffer
I found on my old 73 the KYB were just to stiff for everyday street driving. My 70 came with adjustable koni's and I like them, but then again I do AX. Rode in a few cars with Bilsteins and really liked the ride. If you have the coin go Bilsteins or Koni's
BMartin914
KYB Gas-A-Just are the worst shocks you can put on these cars. They get stiffer and stiffer as they bound-rebound.

They are cheap for a reason - you get what you pay for.
914MF
mueba.gif mueba.gif Konis mueba.gif mueba.gif driving.gif driving.gif
HarveyH
The PO put KYB's on my car. 100 Lb rear springs with F&R sway bars. The ride was VERY harsh. Every ripple or irregularity in the road surface was like hitting something, and PA is not noted for its fine roads. stromberg.gif stromberg.gif
A couple of years ago I replaced them with Bilsteins, it's a completely different car, much smoother and more compliant. Still firm, but not jarring.
If $$ is a problem, go with the stock Boge units for just a bit more than the KYB's.
Harvey
sean_v8_914
...still no sway bar.
QUOTE (tracks914 @ Nov 3 2005, 04:47 PM)
How much do you want to spend?
Do you want to fit into the "cheap 914 owners" club or do the car some justice? laugh.gif
What can you afford?

biggrin.gif
gfulcher
KYB, Bilsteins or Koni's?

Let me put it this way.. when my car is in storage for the winter, I'm tempted to pull my Koni Yellow adjustables out of my 914 and actually sleep with them until Spring.

Get the Konis, and trade the KYB's in for some KY Jelly.

They ARE that good.

(holy shiat - did I just say that in my outside voice?)

-greg-
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE (sean_v8_914 @ Nov 3 2005, 07:28 PM)
K ill
Y our
B ack

Kick
Your
Butt

Had them on my Squareback. Put the Napa cheepo-replacements my Dad originally had on her. Much better ride, even when it becomes a tad spirited.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.