Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best Clutch Cable ??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KenH
Just broke my Terry clutch cable. Is there a better cable available??

914-6 is NLA.

Performance offers a Weltmeister.

Or just get another Terry cable??

Ken
Rouser
How old was the Terry cable before it let go, and in what area did it snap (front/middle/rear end)?

I can't say I've had any experience with the Welt., but the Terry's have held up pretty good around here. Go with another Terry.
SGB
Agree, terrycable. They last a long time. I got one to put in the trunk when I last replaced the stock type with a tery one many years ago that I have never used. I used to eat one a year. Something is impacting yours- abrasion or something somewhere you better check out.
KenH
It broke where it goes thru the firewall into its sheath. If you look into the sheath you can see where it wore a grove into the sheaths housing.

Ken
scotty914
same place it broke on mine. a stock cable has a nylon sleave on the cable at that point. i will now stick with a stock cable because of it
Mark Henry
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Nov 4 2005, 12:01 AM)
same place it broke on mine. a stock cable has a nylon sleave on the cable at that point. i will now stick with a stock cable because of it

This isn't the first time I've heard this.

I was going to get a Terry cable because I didn't have a spare, both Alex Pankin and MikeG (the two local 914 resto guru's) said not to waste the money...just get a stock cable.

Both said the same thing about the nylon sleave.

I used to eat one a year

I "think" my teen has the factory cable on it...for sure it has more than 4 years and 25,000 miles on it.
Brando
Best would be OEM, in my opinion.

Or go hydraulic smile.gif
Trekkor
I broke mine in the same exact place. The trick is to zip tie the cable so it can't kink there. It *must* go through the sheath straight or it will saw itself in half ( again ).

Ken, you made it through your last session, did this happen in the paddock while trying to load the car?

Did you see me at end of the straight before turn 11 behind the wall?

KT
KenH
KT

It was going bad in the next to the last session Sunday. I pushed it as far as I could on the last session and came in early, and yes I saw you at the wall.

Glad I could give you a ride on Saturday when things were OK.

Ken
J P Stein
I use the OEM.
I've had a spare settin' on the shelf for bout 9 years....good place for it, me thinks biggrin.gif
I have no idea how old the one in the car is.
GeorgeRud
Keep the extra clutch cable with an extra trunion and 7mm bolts coiled inside of your spare tire, and karma dictates you will never break another clutch cable. Your foresight will however be able to someday save an unprepared 914 owner from a bad weekend.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.