Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Modern Day - Mid-Engine 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ajracer
Just wanted to pass this along for consideration of some modern styled 914 type
vehicle I saw while passing through Seoul Korea last month. Looks very interesting
from a styling view and has four cyl. turbo charged engine. From info available at the
display I was able to also confirm the vehicle is mfg. under a joint venture between
GM (Opel division in Europe) and Daewoo in Korea. I understand it is to be available
in Europe (soon) at est. cost of $ 45,000 US.

Check out the pictures and would be interested in the boys comments to follow.

Allan

ajracer
PHOTO# 1
ajracer
PHOTO# 2
ajracer
PHOTO # 3
ajracer
PHOTO # 4
mudfoot76
Formerly known as the Opel Speedster -- I saw quite a few when I was living in the Netherlands back in 2001. Except those just had the 4 cyl 'ecotec' engine, non turbo...
onrails
omg! ohmy.gif
it's a "teener" on steroids wub.gif
Hammy
Looks like an MR2 and an Rx8 smile.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Hammy @ Nov 3 2005, 09:17 PM)
Looks like an MR2 and an Rx8 smile.gif

MrX28 yo biggrin.gif
airsix
It's a Lotus Elise. Rebadged with different engine and altered plastic panels. Once again the rest of the world get's a cool car and in the USA we get more of the same old crap.

-Ben M.
richardmosselman
I believe it's also marketed as a Vauxhaul 220? in Europe/British Isles.
richardmosselman
Sorry...that's Vauxhaul VX 220-and yes there is a turbo model.
seanery
agree.gif It is also what the Saturn SKY was based on. Apparantly, there are two versions of this car, a mid-engine and a front-engine design. The US will get the front-engine in the Saturn SKY. I believe it's also the same chasis as the Pontiac Solstice.
rick 918-S
me think me likes idea.gif cool_shades.gif wink.gif
dmenche914
Looks like shit, but I think the Elise looks like shit too. Too Japanese in style, like them funny looky mitsubishi's. Lotus did make some nice cars but the elise went wrong, all them swoppy lines, and vent holes make it look like some dressed up starwars movie prop.
Jacco
You might think it looks like crap... but then again it drives like nothing else... hmm kinda like the 914 wink.gif

In the netherlands it's an Opel and in GB it is a Vauxhaul that's correct, and underneath the chassis has been engineered by Lotus that's also true.

This car has been on Top Gear and according to Jeremy Clarkson it was at least as much a drivers car as the Elise and maybe a little bit better because it is cheaper and it has a turbo engine.

I for one would love to have a go in one to find out how a modern 914 would drive. This is also probably the only Opel I would love to own cool.gif

I think it's a seriously cool car with looks that kinda set it apart from the crowd, remember it's already on the market for a couple of years now.

just my thoughts on this little car screwy.gif

greets
Jacco
mightyohm
I would like to see the hood raised up a few more inches to comply with bumper height regulations.

NOT! barf.gif barf.gif
spare time toys
What about the trans and shifter idea.gif
Jeroen
QUOTE (seanery @ Nov 4 2005, 05:55 AM)
It is also what the Saturn SKY was based on. Apparantly, there are two versions of this car, a mid-engine and a front-engine design. The US will get the front-engine in the Saturn SKY. I believe it's also the same chasis as the Pontiac Solstice.

nope... The Opel Speedster has the same chassis as the Lotus Elise (glued aluminium)

Reportedly, Opel figured they could do a better job on the suspension then the guys at Lotus and made some changes/redesigns... And they figured wrong laugh.gif
So the Opel doesn't handle as well as the Elise...

Jaiden
Hey I've seen that display at the Soeul Airport like 3 months ago!

They wouldn't let you sit in it though.

What were ya doing in Korea?
jonwatts
QUOTE (Jaiden @ Nov 4 2005, 05:16 AM)
They wouldn't let you sit in it though.

I think those are manakins.

Jaiden
oh...... There were no manakins in the display when I saw it.

Root_Werks
Interesting looking. It's not a "New" 914 though. Porsche already made one and just changed the numbers to 986. wink.gif Drive one and I think you would agree it's really just a new 914.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.