Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shudder on gear engagement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxsterfan
I am trying to take my *new* 1970 914 1.7L to get inspected so I can transfer the title in AZ (out of state car transferring title to AZ).

Anyone know if I can transfer the title and have it titled as a car under "restore" in AZ?

She doesn't want to "go" from a stand still. Engine will die if you don't keep the gas pedal down and let up *very* easy on the clutch. If it feels like it is going to stall, just press clutch back in and she keeps running. I assume this is "needs a new clutch". Correct?

Planning on tearing this car down, dip, paint and put in a 3.2L. If I replace clutch now, can I purchase a 5-spring clutch that will work with the later 3.2L?

boxsterfan
McMark
Sounds like the problem I was having when I was leaking oil on my clutch. You might wanna change the rear oil seal and check the crank endplay while you're in there (famous last words).
tryan
shudder could be cause by a seal leaking oil onto the clutch, a smoked flywheel and/or clutch or bad mounts.

are you in 3rd?
Bleyseng
How does the car drive once you get moving?? Ok?
I haven't ever noticed that the engine would die if I let the clutch out when it was going, hell,it justs slips! If there is oil on the clutch disc then it will shudder when you let it out.

Geoff
boxsterfan
The car seems to drive fine once I get moving. 1st gear has basically NO power what-so-ever. Seems to take 100-150 feet before it feel like power is even ramping up.

I have tried starting from a stand still in 2nd also and feels the same. Of course, I will look to make sure I am not in 3rd gear !! beer3.gif (The shifting is very, very, very, very, very, very sloppy.)

boxsterfan
seanery
i got $20 that says you're in 3rd!!
Bleyseng
Adjust the linkage per the Pelican Part article including new bushings. You are in third gear dude.

Geoff
Shift pattern is
R24
seanery
This is an early car right?
Take the shifter off and see if the ball is in the cup bushing at all.
Mine wasn't and it did that, too. Put it in right (Brad did) and voila, much better. Put in a better shifter and OH SHIT this is good!
Mike9142.0
I can take a look at it with you If you would like.
boxsterfan
Thanks all! I will be checking tonight after work to see that I am getting into 1st. I don't want to bet $20 that I am NOT in third because I spent that part of the budget on floor jack last night!

It appears that my 914 is getting gun-shy about being restored. To start the fight with me, she promptly flattened the left front tire to let me know that she is scared of what could be a painful reestore (all that scraping and sanding and cutting). Going to Checkers now to get the morphine! mueba.gif

boxsterfan
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.