Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Northern Virginia Shops
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
for machine work ( block, cylinders, heads, etc ) ?

who for sand blasting a body ?

for prime and paint ?

for alignments ?

etc ?

Thanks,

Jim

* Please comment about the quality of work, quality of commincation, prices *
Congratulations! You are in an area with a plethora of good shops to choose from.

First off - all are expensive and relatively slower than you want them to be. biggrin.gif

For bodywork - depends on how nice a job you want done. Wagonwerks and Carrisorie (sp) are recognized as leading body shops for Porsches and do beautiful work. On the other hand there is MAACO. How big is your wallet?

The biggest question I have of you is what is your goal? Concours restoration? Daily Driver? Track Beast? This will play heavily into your decisions. If you can afford to have shops do most of the work, then you should find one you like, put together a plan, and work together to execute it. Go to these places, see how they operate, talk to the owners, and see what you think.

Two shops that I have used and thus can recomend (or not) are Intersport in Tysons Corner and ASG in Fairfax.
If going to Intersport, talk to Charlie Murphy. If going to ASG talk to Ray or Geoff. Stay away from Porsche Pitstop. Also, RPM with Bill Nagey and Curreys Automotove have good reputations. Everyone has horror stories about certain shops, so find out who you like on your own.

BTW - i am over in Ashburn if you want to stop by and talk 914's.

Bill
crash914
I always use my garage.....

that said, I have used karossorie at the circle, authority for alignment and a guy in Lorton for autobody...
jimkelly
This thread is for those with deep pockets, shallow pockets, and for those like me with no pockets at all : ) Please share what ever you got.

I guess my goal is a car that is relatively reliable - FUN TO DRIVE - and gets stares for all the wrong reasons - is there a name for this catagory - besides eyesore class : )
HotRod
I do most things myself, but use some of the following for various things.

I have Charley at INTERSPORT do my alignments for racing, for engine building I highly recommend Doug Carlock in Luray, one of the best 914 guys on the east coast. Machine shop work either Kenson Automotive in Fairfax or Dave Coleman at Performance Engineering in Summit Point WV. Body work, call Dave at WagonWerkes.

Give me a call if you need any other ideas or recommendations, or if you just want to talk 914 stuff.
ws91420
There is a shop out in Purcellville called Redline Motors. I have spoken to them many times and the guy does know something about 914's. He has some parts to sell off too. Not cheap labor wise but he specializes in europeanen cars.
jimkelly
Some good suggestions so far - thanks guys!

Jim

nomore9one4
Jim, where are your plans taking you now??? Do I feel turbo 4???Bob cool_shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.