Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield rubber instead of butyl tape and trim
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bondo
Anyone have a cross sectional photo with a ruler for scale of this rubber? I want to do this, but I will be doing it myself instead of taking it to a glass shop and having them fit the right one. I want to make sure I get the right stuff. How long of a piece do I need?

Also, how wide of a stripe to I need to paint around the edge, what paint do I use, and how do I make it stick?
bondo
icon_bump.gif

Nobody? I thought this was a pretty popular mod..

(I did search, didn't turn up many specifics besides specific glass shops, none of which are near me)
Gint
I remember seeing several posts on this within the last couple of months. One or two even had links or pictures that had cross section of the rubber moulding. I'm certain it was recent.
scottb
this link help?

i used the T-108B profile and it is great....

gold glass
clarkcou
I don't get it - IO see the glass is mechanically attached to the "U" in the rubber, but what holds the rubber to the car body?
xsboost90
i bought a tube of window adhesive in a caulking tube and glued the rear window in like the windsheild. No more leaking rear windows...
boxstr
Scott, Did you purchase directly from Gold glass?
CCLINGLASSORASS
bondo
QUOTE (clarkcou @ Nov 5 2005, 09:20 AM)
I don't get it - IO see the glass is mechanically attached to the "U" in the rubber, but what holds the rubber to the car body?

I don't get it either.. the oem rubber I have used on other cars has more of an S cross section, with the glass in one of the concave parts of the S and the glass on the other.
Brian_Boss
I thought you had to use a butyl tape or urethane to glue in the glass and that rubber trim like Scott used just replaces the stock aluminum trim pieces.

In other words, that style rubber is cosmetic, it doesn't hold the glass in like on a 911.
scottb
QUOTE (boxstr @ Nov 5 2005, 11:50 AM)
Scott, Did you purchase directly from Gold glass?
CCLINGLASSORASS

yepper.... really easy folks to deal with...

i have seen other teener owners use a rubber moulding with a chrome trim insert in the middle of the moulding that makes it look more stock. i do not have any info on that product though. perhaps another could chime in...

windshield is held to the frame by urethane adhesive. if you note, the moulding i bought has a thin bead of butyl that holds the moulding to the windshield. i figured a little extra hold was good.

morph
anyone have a photo of what it looks like installed?i am intrested in doing this to one of my cars im building.
james
boxstr
James, Go out and look at your Dodge or Geo, the moulding around the windscreen should be the same material.
Thanks Scott, I will contact them when I get back on th e13th.
CCLINADIOS
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.