Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bilstein Sports vs Koni Sports
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billd
I'm setting up my suspension for AutoX and am trying to pick a shock. The Koni's are attractive because they are adjustable. The Bilsteins seem slightly higher quality and have lower unsprung weight. Anyone have any strong arguments for one or the other?
DanT
Here is what I got today Bill.
Needless to say I am going to be using Bilsteins...at least in the rear.
I have used both before and found that after I got the Konis set to where I wanted them I never changed them again. With the costs involved I have decided to go with the Bilsteins.

This is what I just picked up for $50
billd
Quite a deal for $50.
ottox914
Go with the Koni's. Once you adjust them, you're in the ballpark, but the ability to make adjustments between runs is great. Depending on the course, I'll mess with them a little after each run if I'm not happy with the transiant response of the car. Its your easiest adjustment- you'll never have time between runs to change springs/torsion bars, and a sway bar tweek in questionable too. Just be ready for the investment- in your $$$ for the shocks, and your time to learn how to use them.

Jason at www.paragon-products.com is my go to guy for suspension.
Rough_Rider
IMHO Koni's give you a degree of adjustability that is uesfull. Note i saw usefull as your only controlling rebound & even then Koni achieve this by adjusting preload inside the damper.

Bilstein's on the other hand have no adjustability. Or do they?? Because Bilstein's aren't under high pressure they can be re-valved, by local suspension shops. Costs around $65 each.

Koni's can also be re-valved but only at the factory. Cost is at least $100 each.

Again IMHO you pays your money & takes your choice.

Personally i'd plumb for Koni's cause i like to tinker, but we all know that can make thing worse.
Dave-O
QUOTE (ottox914 @ Nov 4 2005, 04:39 PM)
Go with the Koni's. Once you adjust them, you're in the ballpark, but the ability to make adjustments between runs is great. Depending on the course, I'll mess with them a little after each run if I'm not happy with the transiant response of the car. Its your easiest adjustment- you'll never have time between runs to change springs/torsion bars, and a sway bar tweek in questionable too. Just be ready for the investment- in your $$$ for the shocks, and your time to learn how to use them.

Jason at www.paragon-products.com is my go to guy for suspension.

I'll agree with Dave, When I was playing test dummy on his car, I could not believe how we dialed out the oversteer just by adjusting the shocks...made a believer out of me (and I will purchase accordingly). The price isn't THAT much different.
Dave-O
FYI Dave, Nice Signature...(pats himself on the back!) I think I would like to instruct next year for the club, I'll assume I can get approval from "the chair" wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.